SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211458 - 09/07/05 06:03 PM Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Just curious... Does anyone else feel that the Roland EXR series is overpriced???? Take the EXR-7 for example. Sure it has 76 keys, but the board has no style recording/editing, not even basic voice editing, and really what you'd call a 16 track sketch pad rather than a 16 track sequencer. I just can't see this board holding up to a $1,000 price tag. For $1,000 you could get a PSR-1500, Korg PA-50, or even a Korg Triton LE, all in my opinion better than the EXR in terms of features and performance.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#211459 - 09/07/05 06:10 PM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hey Squeak,

I feel like Roland is overpriced on many of their products and the EXR series is a joke.

I'm an authorized dealer, but they just do not compete price wise and their wholesale inventory cost is 25% higher.

Distribution of the G70 is a joke and if you compare Boss/Roland hard disk recorders and price points, Roland is way off the map.

Sorry....just some Roland slamming.

Dan O'

------------------
Ketron, Yamaha, Casio,Roland arranger keyboards.
http://www.keyboardcity.net

1-866-348-8876

#211460 - 09/07/05 06:18 PM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
squeak_D Offline

DanO,
You make some good points there. Especially with the H-disk recorders. The Boss equipment is pricey too. After buying my Boss DR-3 (which is a good drum machine) However it sells for just under $200 (got mine for $195.99, and that was the price without the adapter). Within weeks after buying that unit, Zoom releass one that blows the Boss clean out of the water and sells it for $179.00

I think in the keyboard area it's their arrangers that are way overpriced. I think the prices for the Fantom series is fair. The stripped down Fantom XA is only $1,300.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#211461 - 09/08/05 09:25 AM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
Dnj Offline

Squeak......What a piece of gear is worth to the individual depends on what that individual does with that piece of gear.....& how they measure its value & their price comfort zone, either it be monetary, professional, persoanal, because of its features or something else...its different with each person.....BTW, what would you expect to pay for the EXR series units?

#211462 - 09/08/05 10:01 AM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
squeak_D Offline

Well lets see, if the EXR-7 had a (real) sequencer that allowed you to record in not just realtime, but allowed you to step record, and at the very least (basic) editing features such as panning, volume, ect, If the EXR-7 allowed you to do at the very minimal (basic) voice editing, and finally at least allowed you to edit and record user styles....., Then I'd consider the $1,000 price tag worth it. Considering the EXR-7 does none of this, the fair price I feel it should have is around $750-$800.

The GW-7 sells for less than $700, and it's basically an EXR with no speakers, ability to edit voices, however it too shares the same poor sequencer and complete inability to edit or record user styles.

I just think Rolands prices on their arrangers are way too high. Seriously who does Roland think they are here????? For $1,000 you could buy a PSR-1500 from Yamaha, The PA-50 and Triton LE from Korg, or even a used PSR-2000/2100. All of these boards have the ability to edit and store user voices, create and edit styles, and a sequencer that makes the EXR series look like a welfare case. Anyway just my opinion.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 09-08-2005).]

#211463 - 09/08/05 11:02 AM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
Dnj Offline

Isn't it great we all have so many choices in this world?.........what are you actually looking to do with a KB may I ask?

#211464 - 09/08/05 11:08 AM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Well here are some support comments for Roland.. Squeak the EXR series has a 16 track sequencer, and it works better than the poor sequencer on the PSR2000/2100..The EXR series also has user programs[100] that will save edits of patches as well as all the changes on the front panel..It also has 126 music assistant locations..
Overall the EXR sounds better than the PSR2000/2100 and maybe the PSR3000....and it has real full size keys.
The EXR offers a 76 key board...PSR???

As for Roland as a company..they feature the largest across the board product line..and the flagship models compete and beat the competition.
When it comes to solid construction, inovated ideas,powerful design, and value...I'll take Roland every time...
They are not overpriced compared to the competition...and you get what you pay for..

Almost forgot to mention the EXR has 4 meg flash memory....the PSR2000 less than 1 meg..the PSR2100 has 1.5 meg..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-08-2005).]

#211465 - 09/08/05 11:38 AM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
squeak_D Offline

Fran,
I'm talking about the original EXR-7, not the EXR-7s. I think it's the EXR-7s that has upgraded the memory. However not sure if they changed the sequencer or added style recording (from what I've seen it doesn't appear that they have).

The EXR may have 16 tracks, but what use is a sequencer if you can't do basic things such as panning, and volume adjustments of tracks (after) the tracks have been recorded? My $399 Casio has only 6 tracks, but allows me to edit them (after recording) and save those changes.

What use is it to have styles (on a $1,000) keyboard if you can't edit them or record your own? That's what the beauty of an upper end arranger should be is the ability to record your own styles. Sorry to say, but so what if they allow you to load new styles.

When you say 100 user programs does that mean you can save edits such as "Reso. Cuttoff, Attack Time, Release Time, ect" to an individual voice and recall that for later use? I don't recall seeing anywhere where the EXR's save those specific voice related settings. They did however add this to the GW-7.

I do agree about a few things. Yes the keys are bigger, action is probably better, there are 76 of them, but it takes more than that to justify a price of $1,000. Sure I agree there are some really nice sounds in there too, but Roland really dropped the ball in the recording department in regards to songs and styles with the EXR series.

DNJ,
What am I looking to do with a keyboard??? Well if I spend $1,000 on an arranger that has a 16 track recorder, and styles... For that price what I expect to do is be able to edit my songs after recording and record my own user styles. Maybe some people are happy with the limitatins of the recording features on the EXR's. However, for my needs I can't and won't spend that kind of money on a keyboard without those basic features. Giving a 16 track sequencer with no editing features after recording is like a jelly filled donut without the jelly. It's just leaves a dry taste in your mouth

Squeak

#211466 - 09/08/05 11:47 AM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
imagium Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi!

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Take the EXR-7 for example. Sure it has 76 keys, but the board has no style recording/editing, not even basic voice editing, and really what you'd call a 16 track sketch pad rather than a 16 track sequencer. I just can't see this board holding up to a $1,000 price tag.

I bought the new EXR-7s version in May for 800 Euro here in Germany which seems to be a reasonable price for me. I have tried some other keyboards in that price range but for my usage the EXR-7s provided the best cost-value ratio.

Regards, Tanja

#211467 - 09/08/05 12:12 PM Re: Roland EXR series prices (just too darn high!!)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak the EXR[s] are not high end arrangers..just the opposite..they are entry level boards..
As for styles ,they are plentiful and available...Style edit on an entry level is overkill..99.9% will never use it..If you need the features you mentioned...you have to go to the "PRO" models[Flagships]..and I'm not talking PSR's..

If price is a factor[$1000]..one would be better served to purchase a used top of the line keyboard..
To mention a few not necessarily in order:
Roland G1000
Ketron X1
Korg i30 or PA80
Roland VA7/76

$500 to spend:
Roland E600
Roland G800
Korg i3
Solton MS100
Roland G600

Get the picture?
All of the boards above are built solid..and will do most of the things you are looking to do..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online