SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2111 - 06/20/03 11:21 AM What was your first keybaord?
epu Offline

I love starting these threads of which I know everyone will participate. When getting involved here, realize that this asks what your first keyboard was. These means that we're not asking you how many keyboards you've had, or what you have now. The last thing I want here is a gear-list thread.

At most, list your first keyboard (or first two), and tell us why you got them, and what you did with them. This should be fun.

My very first keyboard was the Casio SK1. What a board, it could sample! I didn't find much use for the samples, or the cheezy drum patterns. I did like the fact that you could "make" your own tones on them.

When I discovered MIDI, I used to get jealous that my SK1 didn't have it. I used to spend nights looking to see if there was some secret panel or compartment that would reveal MIDI jacks. Too bad you couldn't store the sounds or samples either.

My second keyboard was the Yamaha PSR500M. This was my first real keyboard. I begged my mother and father for this one. My friend had the PSR400, and his had reverb and a 5-track sequencer. I didn't know much about quantizing back then, and it didn't have it. But I liked the fact that I record my own songs. I also like the fact that the sounds were so "real". It had like 100 sounds - Whoa!

I recorded so many songs with the PSR500M. I have most of them on Cassette tape. I may transfer them to CD one day. Since then, I've been strictly a Roland man.

The Infamous Epu.

#2112 - 06/20/03 12:21 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
First keyboard....whoooo, we're going back in time here.Back before the days of midi, sampling,& sequencing.
My first was a Farfisa(I can't even remember the model, all I know is it was "ORANGE".....yikes!!
This was follwed by a Vox continental....
okay...who's next???

#2113 - 06/20/03 01:25 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
My first was a used Yamaha CP30 for 400 bucks. I bought it in 1987. A year later I used (the guitarists) Korg Poly 800.

So that was my gear for about 5 years. A Yammy CP30 and a Korg Poly 800 sitting on top of it.

<><
Bob

#2114 - 06/20/03 03:04 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
A Fender Rhodes piano. My sister helped me buy it, bless her heart. My first synth was a Hohner String ensemble, then came the Moog (for bass) a Clavinet D6, and BAM ! A gear junky was born !

#2115 - 06/20/03 04:06 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
mine was an xp-30 that served me well for about a year before i decided i liked software more and software suited me more.

#2116 - 06/20/03 04:09 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Mine was an old. upright piano. Since then I've had a couple of other pianos and now have a grand. However, my first Keyboard was a PSR220 which my wife has inherited. Currently using a PSR740.

Bryan

#2117 - 06/20/03 04:17 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
My family had a Lowrey console organ since I was 10 or so. My first keyboard was a synthesizer Radio Shack made in the 70s. I can't remember the model, but I mowed grass and saved all summer for it. It cost $400 and was mono. It played some "loops" but mainly was modeled after a moog having a lot of knobs and sliders to change the sounds. I used to hook it up to a oscilloscope to study the waveforms. It was cool at the time.......................I wouldn't mind having it now either!

#2118 - 06/20/03 04:41 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
O.K. JOHNSON Offline

Loc: LACEY, WASH. USA
Mine was a Hammond M-1 spinet organ. First "keyboard" for live playing in band was a Vox Jaguar. Keyboard and amp cost me $600.

#2119 - 06/20/03 10:14 PM Re: What was your first keybaord?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
My first keyboard was a Magnus 2 octaves with those 6 chord buttons on the left side. I loved that thing. I cried when it saw its last day. I dont think they make them anymore.

#2120 - 06/21/03 08:04 AM Re: What was your first keybaord?
Llyren Offline

Since I'm fairly new to keyboards (only a couple years) I never got a chance to be in on the analog synthesizer age. My first keyboard was a Roland XP-10, which was good for me at the time because it wasn't too powerful (allowing it to be cheap and simple) and it was still professional (unlike those toys you find in electronics stores). It took me almost a year to find out how limited the thing really was.

[This message has been edited by Llyren (edited 06-22-2003).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online