SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210846 - 08/16/03 09:57 PM Buying additional keyboard
Sesom163 Offline

*id like to preface my message by saying that im relatively a novice about keyboards/arrangers/workstations*

alright, right now I am working on a PSR-740 (love it) for my gigs and also for sequencing, etc etc. I am looking to buy a second keyboard. I am not sure if the new keyboards out there are significantly better or not, but I am interested in finding out. Im primarily a musician, but also a geek so whatever keyboard I buy, i want something with lots of options, Im looking for something that is good for gigging but also just for casual home use or sequencing. Obvoiusly, im quite a novice, so dont insult me to much, you guys seem really intelligent and well-learned about this stuff, so perhaps you can steer me in the right direction whether it be yamaha, korg, technics, etc.

#210847 - 08/16/03 10:07 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Not sure what kind of advice you're after here, my friend. What do you want the second kb to DO? Will you use both ath the same time? Do you sing?
There's lots of knowledge here, but we'll need a more specific question to help you !
Welcome aboard.

#210848 - 08/16/03 10:21 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Sesom163 Offline

alright alright alright, its kind of late, but let me try to specifiy.

first of all, i am only 16, which probably accounts for my limited knowledge of keyboards. as far as gigs, i play @ a local cigar bar, and parties here and there, but most of my playing is done at home. I would say that I spend more time improvising and playing on spot than sequencing, and while I dont want something necessarilly over-complicated, I certainly am tech-savvy enough to learn and adapt. As I said, right now I am working on a Yamaha PSR 740, and so I immediately figured a Tyros or 2100 would be the next logical upgrade? Unfortunately, I am a serious novice, and know very little about the world of keyboards outside of my limited experience with Yamaha's and Korg's. If you cannot make any recomendations or point me in the right direction yet, I will be happy to answer any more questions you need. Thanks man

ah, also, I dont generally sing, altho I am interested in starting a ben folds-esque band perhaps w/ local drummer/bassists/or sax
- ses

*one more question: is the psr740 still considered an adequate keyboard? do new ones radically outperform ? just curious thanks *

[This message has been edited by Sesom163 (edited 08-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sesom163 (edited 08-16-2003).]

#210849 - 08/17/03 12:04 AM Re: Buying additional keyboard
YamBox Offline

Loc: Finland
PSR-2000 or 2100 would be my choice. Have a 2000 myself and very pleased with it. But if you got the money and the price of Tyros donīt shake you too much, why not Tyros.

#210850 - 08/17/03 12:50 AM Re: Buying additional keyboard
danb Offline

I know many keyboard players including myself use more than one keyboard or at least two keyboards during gig or live shows. I am thinking about instead of buying another high end second keyboard for top which is oftentimes used for lead, brass, or organ sound while the bottom keyboard is used mainly for Accoustic and electric piano sound. Why not just buy an inexpensive keyboard midi controller from MAudio and connect it to your main keyboard like Motif or Tyros and get the sound from it. There are thousands of sounds from it already. I don't know how effective it is. I haven't tried it yet but I know it will work.

#210851 - 08/17/03 05:34 AM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The aqdvantages of upgrading to a 2xxx are many from the 740.
1)harmonizer. Even if you don't sing, this input can be used for guitars or line-inputs from other instruments
2)interface. Larger screen...more direct access to most real time features
3)better speakers
4)more memory for styles
5)new sounds
.....this list is subjective, but goes on from there.

The Tyros is another step forward (maybe a leap)adding:
1)hard drive
2)double polyphony
3)new mega voices
4)better mic input
5)better key feel(I'm told)

The 2100 will cost you abought 1/2 of the Tyros price. You'll have to decide if those extras are worth it to you.

#210852 - 08/17/03 05:57 AM Re: Buying additional keyboard
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Somebody kind sent me an email and explained to me that Tyros also has better quality sounds in comparison to 2100, other than the Mega voices. In other words, more memory is put into Tyros sounds to get higher resolution of sampling. Now that is very important for professional recording in my opinion. When recording in a studio, you want your song not to sound coming from keyboard, but people feel that it is coming from real instruments and that when you play styles and record them, people should not think that these are styles but that these are sequenced songs track by track.

#210853 - 08/17/03 08:29 AM Re: Buying additional keyboard
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I would suggest an alternative route for you. Since you are relatively young, I hate to see your creative abilities tempered by an arranger keyboard.

I would suggest you get a Yamaha Motif ES. This keyboard will have a great Piano patch for you to hone your core piano skills. It will have a killer sequencer with a new technology called a "Phrase Factory" which will essentially allow you to create killer arpeggios and Multi-Pads. The Motif will have the Mega voices of the Tyros and Killer Synth sounds. YOu will also be able to sample your own sounds.

With the Motif and the 740, you will have the best of both worlds, but the Motif will allow your musical ability and creativity to expand past your 16 years. I also think the Motif will be slightly less expensive than some of the other arrangers.

I really think the Synth approach will force you to be more creative and develop your own grooves, your own sounds, and your own "style" of music.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#210854 - 08/17/03 10:12 AM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Sesom163 Offline

alright, to clear up, what is the fundemental difference between an arranger like the 2100 and a synth like the Motif? Also, what about something like the Technix SX 7000 (is that correct) or the Genysis? As far as develping my piano skills, for me creativity and performance ability is key. I am primarily a rock/pop/jazz pianist and do most of my playing by ear rather than thru reading music (my reading skills are way behind my playing skills , which makes learing especially tedious) eh, anyways, thanks guys, please keep up the suggestions, i searched endlessly for an educated group of keyboardists and perhaps i have finally found one

#210855 - 08/17/03 01:37 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
comparing Motif ES with 2100 is easy. The quality of sounds in Motif ES are superior because the Motif contains huge memory that is supposedly utilized to hold better sampled sounds. That what I was told. In other words, if you want higher quality sounds, motif es, supposedly, will beat 2100 big time. That is not to say that 2100 is bad or that it is different. They are close enough for live performance but distant enough for professional recording.

Other than that, I would say that Motif es has no styles nor speakers.

The real comparison is between Tyros and Motif es. What is the difference? Are the sounds identical on both? We know that Motif es has the Mega voices. But we also know that it has tons of memory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online