SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210715 - 01/16/01 09:07 PM Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi all,

I'm trying to plan for a "one day stint" (Thurs 1/18/01) at NAMM in Anaheim, CA.

I'm sure I won't have time to catch "all" the exhibits of this HUGE annual music extravaganza in one day, so I'm trying to develop a pre-game strategy plan now to make sure I don't miss seeing the most important equipment/software specifically of interest to us arranger keyboard enthusiasts.

Here are the exhibits I have included on my MUST SEE list (so far):

Arranger Keyboard Manufacters:
Yamaha (9000Pro)
Technics (KN6500)
Korg (PA80)
Roland (VA7 or?)
Solton (SD-1)
General Music (WK8-SE)

PA/Amps:
Mackie (450)
Yamaha (new one?)
Samson

Vocal Processors:
Digitech (are they still making harmonizers?)
TC Helicon (Voice Prism)

Microphones (both wired/wireless):
Electrovoice
Shure
AKG

Keyboard Stands:
QuickLok

Midi Sequencing/Digital Audio:
Cakewalk (Pro Audio)
Emagic (Logic Audio)
Sonic Foundry (Sound Forge)
PG Music (Band In A Box)
TechNote (Technics software)

Are there any other specific exibit booths anyone here think I should add to my MUST SEE list? I can't promise I can make it to all booths requested, but I will certainly add it to my list and make an attempt if I have enough time. If I can't make it, perhaps others on this board attending NAMM might be able to check out your specifically requested booth (company) and report back here to the rest of us here as well.

I just tried signing on to the NAMM website to obtain the exibit booth numbers for the above companies but currently the website is OVERLOADED because too many people are trying to get on their website right now.

Can someone here possibly provide me with the NAMM exibit "booth numbers & building locations" for each of the above listed companies? This will certainly make it much easier and quicker to navigate from booth to booth as the Anaheim Convention Center is huge and located in several buildings.

BTW, Who else on this board will be attending NAMM on Thursday? Perhaps we could meet at one of the booths there?

- Scott

#210716 - 01/16/01 09:36 PM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
Clif Anderson Offline

At the Solton booth, you might check out the Solton X1 Oriental. At the Yamaha Booth, you might check out the QY100. Also, see if there are any new PLG plug-in cards for the 9000Pro.

#210717 - 01/16/01 10:00 PM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
If you could, would like your views on these:
-----------------------------------------
Be sure to keep a keen ear tuned to the Native Instruments' news at NAMM, the huge annual music instrument and audio equipment gathering January 18th to 21st in Anaheim, CA. You'll find us in hall A, booth 6520 where we will unveil several new products that will be sure to open up new fields in music production and sound design. We will post daily updates and news here, so check back often!
-----------------------------------------
Let us know how their B4 sound with their set-ups, and what gadgets they use.

Can you ask Native Instruments if they like the Mac's better than the Windows with their products? (I'm considering a Mac for music).
Also, I see a future for MIDI into PC's to be via USB connection. More speed, les hassle, cheaper. Roland, Yamaha, and Mark of the Unicorn have products. I am in the market for a hub to have 4-MIDI in and 4-MIDI out.

Thanks!

mbl.

#210718 - 01/16/01 10:29 PM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Please hope you can see the INCREDIBLE PALM SIZE (almost like a cellular phone) - mini-studio, SEQUENCER from YAMAHA with high-quality voices, and large style database, AND GIVE US YOUR OPINION!!

Details on:
http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pressreleases/NAMM/WNAMM01/PAC/dmi/QY100.htm

Thanks!

mbl

#210719 - 01/17/01 04:32 AM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
You have a friend on the inside, right? NAMM is NOT open to the public.
(Aw, you probably knew that, right?)

#210720 - 01/17/01 05:47 AM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
Scottyee Offline

Uncle Dave,
Yep, YES to both questions.
I could wait till I get to NAMM to obtain the exhibit numbers/floorplan map but I was hoping to get a listing of the exhibit numbers "now" so I can maximize the very short time (Thrus afternoon ONLY) I'll have at NAMM this year. I'm beginning to think that I'll be "lucky" if I have enough time to see just the above exhibits in such a SHORT time (5-6 hrs).

I'm continueing to try logging on to NAMM (www.namm.com) and the website is still jammed. Perhaps someone else here already has a NAMM exhibit booth directory and can obtain the "exibit booth numbers" & "building locations" of the above companies and post here.

- Scott

#210721 - 01/17/01 06:36 PM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
Clif Anderson Offline

Two products that are not expected to show at NAMM, but you never know, are:
Roland VA-9
Korg Carma

#210722 - 01/21/01 10:56 PM Re: Help Needed: NAMM Show Preparation
Scottyee Offline

mbl,

Just to let you know that I checked out the B4 Organ virtual instrument software at the NAMM Native Instruments Booth and was blown away by its' AWESOME sounding realism. Equally impressive was the lack of noticeable latency. I highly recommend the B4 software. I asked the Native Instruments rep which computer platform is preferable for running their software. He said that they have both Mac and PC versions of the B4 program and that both versions have the same features and are "equally" supported.

I also got a chance to checkout the new Yamaha QY100. I took a picture of the Yamaha QY100 booth, including a closeup shot of the QY100 itself. Go to my website at:
http://scottyee.tripod.com/scottyee/

Then click on the link "NAMM Pictures".

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online