SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210330 - 01/08/02 08:43 AM Advice on computer speaker systems??
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
Hi,
The speaker system on my computer sucks bigtime! When I record, I either hear the sound through those speakers or through headphones. What I want to do is listen to the mix on real speakers so I know how it is going to sound when I burn a cd. Therefore...is there anyone who can give me advice on what speakers to purchase for my computer? (preferably ones with a headphone or earphone jack on the front of them)

-Tracey

#210331 - 01/08/02 10:42 AM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Send the line out of your pc into your home stereo system. That way you will hear the mix as it will sound on "normal" speakers at home. Studio monitors usually give a false sense of what people listen to in regular life. I recommend listening to what the audience listens to!

#210332 - 01/08/02 12:17 PM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
That is exactly my experience. When I first mixed down monitoring on Alesis RA-100/Event 20/20 studio monitors and also on Roland MA-8, it gave me a false sense of the "balance" (what one would hear in real life). When I played it on a regular home stereo, it sounded with too much bass and too much reverb. Then I remixed, in a compromise, so it sounded good on both the studio monitors and my home stereo system and came up with a result that sounded good on most systems.

Shiral

[This message has been edited by shiral (edited 01-08-2002).]

#210333 - 01/08/02 02:09 PM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Shiral,
I'm with you my CP speakers sounded bad!
I have a large portable boom box that had good sound! They're hard to find these days with an aux. input. Mine has a stereo aux. input. It also has bass boost. Gives me a very good sound! It also has headphone output.
What ever works for you!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

#210334 - 01/08/02 02:32 PM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Here's where I think those Yamaha YSTMS50 powered monitors do a great job. They are an 80Watt three piece system with a subwoofer. There are two stereo inputs on the back and a volume control on the front of the right speaker and a heaphone plug. I use this system here in my store at my computer, another system with my Yamaha 9000pro and another system with a Yamaha P80 digital piano. At home, my son uses this system with his BOSS BR 532 digital 4 track recorder and it sounds great as monitors. I have sold dozens of these to customers and everyone loves them. They have been discontinued because I've heard rumors that a replacement model featuring USB conectivity will be coming out later this year (at a much higher price). You might still find some of these in computer stores (only in white) but I have some left in black (music store color more than computer). This system has been selling in the $119.00 price range although I've seen some forum readers say they've found some at the end of the year at COMPUSA for around $99.00 with a mail in $20.00 rebate. This system has been a great choice for my customers and my employees. I would check these out if you want something a real notch above most computer speakers.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#210335 - 01/09/02 10:55 AM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Hi Nobby,

My reference monitors are not bad, but I think my ears are spoiled with hyped sound from home and car stereo systems and I cranked up bass and effects to levels I am used to when listening to home stereos. When I played it back on the home stereo it did it again doubling the effect. Now I use studio monitors first to balance the other instruments keeping instruments like bass guitar and kick drum and effects at a nominal level. Then I adjust the bass instruments and effects monitoring on both studio reference and home stereo systems. That seems to work for me.

Shiral

#210336 - 01/09/02 11:12 AM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You figured out the "secret" !!!!!

(use whatever WORKS best)

#210337 - 01/10/02 07:37 AM Re: Advice on computer speaker systems??
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
Thanks everyone! Now I have something to go on.

-Tracey

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online