SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210147 - 03/05/06 01:45 PM Which setup should i get??
samman19871 Offline

Loc: boston
Hey,
I've decided to get rid of my keyboard (yamaha dgx 500) cos it sucks in my opinion...

I want to buy a new set up, im in a few bands and im looking for something of reasonable quality, but my price range is about £850 max.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds a good idea, a midi keyboard controller with fully weighted keys and aftertouch (something like a studiologic SL990pro/xp) coupled with a sound board...

im not sure which sound board to get although i like the specs of the Roland XV2020, however the Kurzweil ME1 seems good too. Im looking for a synth with good piano and organ sounds.

hope someone out there knows a bit about this!

Thanks,
Sam

#210148 - 03/05/06 01:58 PM Re: Which setup should i get??
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The SL990 and the XV2020 is a good choice.
I think the Roland module offers more than the Kurz..

#210149 - 03/05/06 02:02 PM Re: Which setup should i get??
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW, this set up will not help you if you are in need of an arranger...Is an arranger important to you..If so maybe a used Roland G1000 or G800 would be good for you..They have a great keybed[semi weighted], 76 keys and are with in your price range..

#210150 - 03/05/06 07:13 PM Re: Which setup should i get??
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! Save up your money, buy a Tyros2 and live life in the fast lane.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#210151 - 03/05/06 08:43 PM Re: Which setup should i get??
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Sam,

Got to agree with Gary 100%

Take his recommendation, save up money and get the Yamaha Tyros2. If you want an Arranger, this is the one to get. Everything else will be a waste of money. You can spend hundreds of dollars upgrading your PC, buying outboard mixers, sound modules, effects processors, MIDI patch bays, USB Audio Interfaces, controller keyboards, hard disk recorders, MIDI control surfaces and still not get the simple integration and functionality of the Tyros2 as a one-in-all solution.

The Tyros2 is the ultimate renderer of GM/GS/XG MIDI files that you can download off the Internet and enjoy instant gratification. There is nothing out there that can match the Super Articulated Voices and the elegant programming of each of the 400 factory styles.

Do not waste your money on a lesser product. Most end up paying more by gradually upgrading their gear. Do it right the first time. This will be the best $2900 spent wisely on a single musical gadget that will bring you hours of enjoyment and a big smile everytime you turn it on.

Tapas

#210152 - 03/06/06 05:08 AM Re: Which setup should i get??
samman19871 Offline

Loc: boston
hey, thanks for the advice.

I looked into the Tyros 2, it doesnt seem to me like the ideal performance keyboard in terms of on stage and portabality. Plus it does a load of things i probably wont use.

Im thinking about getting the SL990 and XV2020, before i get them can anyone help to tell me if theres a better solution for a performance keyboard set-up? Perhaps an all in one keyboard??

Thanks again for your help!

Sam.

[This message has been edited by samman19871 (edited 03-06-2006).]

#210153 - 03/06/06 06:55 AM Re: Which setup should i get??
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
Being an avid Korg user, if you're just looking mostly for sounds and 88 keys, you should check out the new Triton TR 88. Loads of killer sounds, programability, and within your price range.

Also, for anyone interested in a heavy-duty, flight case-type case, I would recommend keyboardcases.com

They made me a custom case for my PA1X pro, it was made before the deadline I gave them for my first raod gig with it and the case fit my keyboard like a glove. Good construction, built in wheels and handles on three sides. check 'em out.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#210154 - 03/06/06 07:18 AM Re: Which setup should i get??
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by samman19871:
hey, thanks for the advice.

I looked into the Tyros 2, it doesnt seem to me like the ideal performance keyboard in terms of on stage and portabality. Plus it does a load of things i probably wont use.

Im thinking about getting the SL990 and XV2020, before i get them can anyone help to tell me if theres a better solution for a performance keyboard set-up? Perhaps an all in one keyboard??

Thanks again for your help!

Sam.

[This message has been edited by samman19871 (edited 03-06-2006).]

Have at look at the Gem Genesys xp. It is a keyboard module. All the functions of the Genesys keyboard only it is much better for traveling with.
You can use the Gem Genesys xp with the SL990 and get the best of both worlds.

A good 88 key controller and a unit with great piano, organs and lots of other great sounds.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online