SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209666 - 04/05/02 02:08 PM Who are the GEM dealers here?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm trying to find out who sells GEM keyboards here. I've been trying to get some feedback on one of their new keyboards... Do any dealers here have any info on the WK-1? I saw it on the GEM website and the specs look pretty nice.. I just a have a few more questions about it though.... I'm a little confused with the sequencer... Is it 16 tracks? How are the sounds on it? How do they compare with Yamaha's PSR line?

Thanks,
Squeak

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#209667 - 04/05/02 03:02 PM Re: Who are the GEM dealers here?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
George Kay is one important GEM dealer.

I know GEM WK2 but not WK1. if WK1 is the same as WK2 in styles and sounds, I would recommend the PSR line. WK2 is the most powerful oriental keyboard for its price. The only way to beat its oriental styles and sounds is to go to Solton X1 oriental but that is double the price!!

But when it comes to non-oriental styles and sounds, PSR line wins.

So the question becomes what about WK1?

Now in terms of ease of use, I liked PSR2000 more than WK2.

In terms of sequencing and other workstation features, I will take GEM anytime over Yamaha.

#209668 - 04/05/02 03:15 PM Re: Who are the GEM dealers here?
squeak_D Offline

sk880user,
Thanks for the info.. Have you seen the WK-1 on generalmusics website? It's a pretty nice looking keyboard. I was just wondering if it sounded and performed as good as it looked....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#209669 - 04/05/02 05:44 PM Re: Who are the GEM dealers here?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Squeak,
I am a dealer here in the USA. I haven't purchased any WK1 because it is their entry level keyboard. I know that it does not have a 16 track recorder. It can play back 16 tracks but it can only record Accomp, Upper 1, Upper 2 and possibly a lower track for the record modes. It is a lower priced version of the WK2 and although the WK2 is a god keyboard, I would not consider it a pro type arranger unless you own the oriental version which is quite good for middle eastern music.
I will research more info for you and get back.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#209670 - 04/05/02 06:25 PM Re: Who are the GEM dealers here?
squeak_D Offline

Wow! Thanks George..... I thought it looked to good to be true... Too bad about the sequencer... Is anyone still selling the
WK-2's..??? If so how much are they going for (if they're still around...) How would the WK-2 compare to my PSR-550 in terms of sound quality and features... Thanks for the info..

Squeak

#209671 - 04/05/02 06:26 PM Re: Who are the GEM dealers here?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Squeak,
I am correct. I just went to the Generalmusic website and read about the WK1. It is a WK2 in a cheaper looking package. You can only record Song Styles which are the type of sequences I described above. Once you've loaded in a 16 track standard midi file, you can edit volumes and sounds but you cannot record any additional notes on tracks. The major difference between this and the WK2 is the look. You can record user styles on the WK2 and not on the WK1.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online