SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209641 - 11/13/05 06:39 PM Off Topic : Sampling Software for Creating Soundfonts for Our Software Arrangers
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi AJ,
just wondering if you had a chance to check out Samplit http://www.nikkoid.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=1

I've been playing around with the demo version for a while this morning.

You mentioned you had Cool Edit , but not sure whether it does the same thing as Samplit.

It appears to simplify the process of creating the samples and then converting them into soundfont format.(It also saves in Halion, Kontakt , Reason etc formats.) Just as an experiment I sampled part of my Clavinova's drum kit this morning. Only took a few minutes to sample it and save it as a soundfont. I still need to do a bit of experimenting as I don't fully understand all the settings.
A better soundcard than my laptops internal one would also help.
Anyway, I'll leave you with it.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#209642 - 11/13/05 06:49 PM Re: Off Topic : Sampling Software for Creating Soundfonts for Our Software Arrangers
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I haven't had a chance yet Rikki, but I do appreciate the information and if indeed it does speed up the process, I m very interested in getting it. Thanks for the info.

AJ

#209643 - 11/13/05 07:20 PM Re: Off Topic : Sampling Software for Creating Soundfonts for Our Software Arrangers
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki & AJ, I use CDXtract and Awave to convert Giga or others to Soundfont. Also samplers such as kontakt and GigaStudio have built in conversion features (convert other formats to their native formats).

I believe Samplit is produced by the same person(s) who developed CDXtract.

These conversion programs are not perfect but are far better than nothing. The conversion is similar to the conversion of styles....you need to tweak them to make them sound proper in the new converted format.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-13-2005).]

#209644 - 11/13/05 08:42 PM Re: Off Topic : Sampling Software for Creating Soundfonts for Our Software Arrangers
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I think the conversion part of Samplit, does have something to do with the CDXtract (people , program, whatever ??)
Big difference is, with samplit , you actually record your own samples and convert them to the format of your choice ( there's about 6 of them).

It's all very automated ie you can sample an instrument chromatically, or by a specified number of tones. It samples a note at different velocities. Not sure how many velocities per note but the default appears to be 4 , so you can have more or less.

You just pick your note range ( demo only does from c3 to b4)
and it just plays through and records at the same time.
Haven't quite worked out the best way to get the loop start & end points. But other than that all you have to do is press the convert button and you've got a soundfont. They can be done in stereo or mono, I think, 16 or 24 bit.
By no means have I worked it all out yet

Probably Awave & CDXtract are better if the sound you're wanting to convert already exists in another format, but I've yet to find a suitable xg drum kit.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-13-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#209645 - 11/14/05 05:30 AM Re: Off Topic : Sampling Software for Creating Soundfonts for Our Software Arrangers
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I agree with you. I have found trying to produce your own samples and design an acoustic virtual instrument is not very easy. In cases where there are no instruments to your liking on the market then creating your own is a very valuable alternative.

At times it looks like nothing is stopping Rikki in her quest to conquer all things software.....except the Tyros. There is a real possibility that Rikki could return to her old ways....many keyboards....oh wey!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-14-2005).]

#209646 - 11/14/05 02:45 PM Re: Off Topic : Sampling Software for Creating Soundfonts for Our Software Arrangers
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
personally the only thing I'd be interested in sampling is the drums. The rest may be way over my head.

Drums cause me the biggest headache when tweaking a style. Either the wrong drum is playing or the velocities are way out, I'm just not terribly good with them, and a drum track takes me a lot longer to tweak than any of the other style parts.

In OMB Stylemaker section, there's a track function called " Import / Export". For me it's a really usefull function. This function allows you to import & export style tracks. ie if I want to replace the drumtrack in variation 1 ( style Blues 1) with the drums in variation 4,( style Blues 2) it's done very easily using the import/export function. In short I'm hoping to build up a library of drum tracks. Taking that one step further, if I can also create a font with the correct drums ie velocity & sounds, that's even better.

I'm sort of starting up where I left off a few years back, putting together a library of style tracks starting with drum tracks
( I had grander ideas back then, but the hardware or software didn't exist) but now with omb & soundfonts it may be possible.

I'll be getting a keyboard , not sure whether a tyros or psr3k, but it's not to replace rikki2006 arranger system, it's going to enhance. haahaa

Don't forget I've still got that Clavinova I'm so attached to, I still need my software arranger system for it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-15-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online