SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#209628 - 04/14/05 12:23 PM Re: Charge more for private parties
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I don't know what to tell you guys... I don't leave my house for under $350. And I'm not in a wealthy community either. I'm not even going to tell you what I charge for a wedding - you'll probably die.

Because of my price I don't get to play as often -- but for me this is a side job. I still play about 40 times a year though.

Chony

I'm in the same boat, Chony. As a solo acoustic accordionist I discovered that I was in HUGE demand. I upped my minimum rate to $400 (3 hour maximum) and have only had two customers turn it down. I was playing for half that figure a year ago.

These are all private parties and unfortunately, as an accordionist, there usually is a bit of "Can you wear a German-type of outfit?" or "We'd like you to stroll between tables" of which I need to be very clear upfront: Absolutely no costumes and absolutely no strolling. My accordion weighs 42 pounds and is a 5/5 reed beast. I'm not about to navigate tables and drinks as my back gives out!

One difference between us, I play out much less than you. Due to work schedules and a young son I'm lucky if I play a couple times a month.

Tommy

#209629 - 04/14/05 01:08 PM Re: Charge more for private parties
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
With my Privia PX400R I play a few different ways depending on the gig. I sometimes play the Privia as a solo piano. Most of the time I use block chords in the left hand with the on board orchestration. In the right hand on the Privia I pretty much use piano, organ, jazz guitar, vibes and once in a while the muted trumpet. And I do not sing at all.

#209630 - 04/14/05 10:12 PM Re: Charge more for private parties
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Restaurant and club's fee seems to be the same here, it's hard to get them to pay more than $150 a night, which is understand able, and I mostly play in Dallas area with some Houston, Austin and San Antonio once a while for a bigger function. For other function, it's any where from $700 to $1,500 depends on the party and time of the year, I normally play with one female singer, and one guitarist when we charge at least $600 but I only pay my guitarist $100. I use arranger function only with block chord on the left hand, no sequencer, so we can play any songs in any key and strectch out the solos as long or short as we want, I like it this way. I seen player who incorporate sequencer and doing it well, but it's my preference to play the way we play. We all sing lead and back up, so sometimes when I'm by myself, it's kind of lonley on the stage, but I can hear keyboards better, not hearing guitar in my ears.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#209631 - 04/15/05 05:17 AM Re: Charge more for private parties
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Shade of pale:
I use arranger function only with block chord on the left hand, no sequencer, so we can play any songs in any key and strectch out the solos as long or short as we want, I like it this way.

I don't understand what you are saying. You do NOT use auto-accompaniment via a style? You have to invoke a style to get the arranger to recognize a left-hand chord, don't you? I just woke up but how do you do that?

#209632 - 04/15/05 05:41 AM Re: Charge more for private parties
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

There is a fingering mode known as FULL, which allows you to use the entire keyboard as a piano, sax, etc, and still have the benefit of arranger styles. On the 2000, press Function, Chord Fingering, the select full. You'll need at least three fingers used with your left hand to activate the chord changes, however, you can work all over the keyboard and do lots of neat things.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#209633 - 04/15/05 07:40 AM Re: Charge more for private parties
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
ni
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I don't understand what you are saying. You do NOT use auto-accompaniment via a style? You have to invoke a style to get the arranger to recognize a left-hand chord, don't you? I just woke up but how do you do that?

Sorry for the confusion, you're right I use auto accompaniment, that's what I tried to say when I said I used the arranger function.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#209634 - 04/15/05 01:04 PM Re: Charge more for private parties
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1:
is it just piano with split bass and onboard drums? or all solo piano? or the ochrestation wiht the left hand block chords and play diff instruments with the right? or do you use midi backing youve recorded ahead and play with it? hehe let me know how you use your arranger Keyboard in live performances.

I use my auto accompaniment however I only use my own styles. This allows me to get the best of both the "auto accompaniment" and "sequenced arrangements" worlds. I have many variations and intros which are identical to the original recordings and are very impressive if I may say so. I also have full liberty to play in any key and change songs as often and freely as I like. The only preset accompaniments I actually use from my keyboard are the occasional ballet.

I also do piano only - depending on the mood and occasion.

I'm happy to see that other people here are charging more as well. I was starting to wonder if I'm ripping people off!

For every additional instrument / singer I charge $250 - $300 extra. Basically for a three piece band wedding (including the service etc - so its a good 10 hr job) I take around $1250.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online