SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#209549 - 12/07/04 09:36 PM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
After reading this post I decided to give it a go with the Tyros Pedal Steel Guitar using my sustain pedal and the Glide feature.

You have to realize I put this song together in about 5 minutes and I made it up as I went along. I wanted to let people hear the Tyros Pedal Steel Guitar using the Glide function not present any particular musical composition as such. This is for demonstration purposes only.

Tyros Pedal Steel Guitar using Glide function

Best regards,
Mike

PS: And yes Scott, this is little 'ol me playing - NOT a midi file.

#209550 - 12/07/04 09:55 PM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Using footpedal glide (for sure) provides a smoother sounding bended note transition & glide then foot pedal activated pitch bend. Mike, nice demo created by 'you' . I'm also really impressed with the sound of the auto accomp rhythm guitar backing. Suggestion: try utilizing a volume pedal instead of sustain, as according to both GlennT and Dale Turner: http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/lessons/pedal_steel_licks.pdf

this gives the PSG emulation an even more authentic sound.

Thanks for sharing. - Scott

#209551 - 12/07/04 10:10 PM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Exound...Bravo..Very nice sound, nice job.
My first big rush from a steel or Hawaiian guitar came from "Hawaiian Tatoo, by the Waikiki's sometime back in the early 60's.

------------------
...L

#209552 - 12/08/04 08:34 AM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Suggestion: try utilizing a volume pedal instead of sustain, as according to both GlennT and Dale Turner: http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/lessons/pedal_steel_licks.pdf

this gives the PSG emulation an even more authentic sound.

Thanks for sharing. - Scott

I realize that since I'm basically a 'novice' using the Glide feature on the Tyros that my demonstration has a few "flaws" in it. After converting it to an .mp3 (from a .wav file) and listening to it on headphones I noticed the flaws more. The flaws being an unnatural bend sound in a couple of spots.

With a little practice (maybe a whole lot ), and possibly using a volume pedal as you suggested, I might start to get the hang of it eventually.

Hummmm... A Volume Pedal?!?!? Maybe an early Christmas present is in order. We'll see...

Best regards,
Mike

#209553 - 12/08/04 08:37 AM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
keybplayer Offline

Btw, what would be a good choice in a volume pedal for the Tyros? Is the Yamaha FC7 volume pedal the way to go or are there better choices available? The Yamaha FC9 is a 'dual' volume pedal that controls 2 instruments and has other additional features but I suppose that would be overkill, right?

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-08-2004).]

#209554 - 12/08/04 08:48 AM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
Scottyee Offline

I use a Technics SZ-E2 Volume pedal on my Tyros (because I owned a Technics keyboard previously), but if you want a Yamaha brand pedal, ask Santa for an FC7: http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMFC7?trk=smx

Scott

#209555 - 12/09/04 06:15 PM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Here is a song my engineer and I worked up last night. He's not really a musician, but a great studio engineer. He is singing and playing acoustic guitar. He wanted to do this up quick for a Christmas present/surprise for his family and friends.I am doing everything else electric guitar, harmony, and keyboard. Oh, I did the acoustic guitar for the end little ditty. I'm using the Roland Fantom X. All drums, bass, and dobro were done on Fantom, with expansion boards. I did no sequencing; it's live playing, and you can here some timing issues. I'm posting it just so you can hear what the dobro from the SRX world card sounds like. Yes, I'm using the pitchbend.. Not applicable to arranger keyboards, but thought you might all be interested to hear it nonetheless. www.depotmusicpros.com/music/Long%20Black%20Train%20Mastered.MP3

#209556 - 12/10/04 12:48 AM Re: Emulating 'Pedal & Hawaiian' Steel Guitar on the Arranger KB !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Rory: Nice rendition of Josh Turner's "Long Black Train". Terrific session with (as expected) impressive backup harmony & keyboard playing (by you) showcasing the Roland Fantom's great sounds. btw: awesome dobro emulation there. Listening to your impressive mix really has me really wishing that Roland could have rounded out Fantom's excellent sounds with equally impressive arranger styles on the G70. Unfortauntely, according to the G70 review by Roel, this this didn't happen. - Scott

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online