SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91074 - 12/09/04 12:14 PM Nursing home set list
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I have a friend that plays acoustic guitar and sings, mostly country. He is amplified and he plays mostly nursing homes. He sometimes travels 100 miles and will hit 2 or 3 a day.
The problem is all the homes in town have used him and think he is too depressing.
His logic is these people are in wheelchairs ect. and can't move, so if he plays bouncy tunes it would be like rubbing it in, that they can't move.
So the question is, would any of you like to share your set list for a typical nursing home job, just so I can get a sense of what is going over.
My personal opinion is to treat them like any audience, even a little audience participation, even if its only hand clapping. The people that can participate will and maybe the others will enjoy watching.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 12-09-2004).]

#91075 - 12/09/04 12:49 PM Re: Nursing home set list
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Slow morbid tunes at Sr. facilities is not advised. Not that I don't do one every once in a while...but....I made the mistake of playing "My Way" at one once. Think about the lyrics. I was dying right along with my act.

Every nursing, assisted living and Sr. facility I play likes it bouncey. So it all doesn't sound the same...variation of styles and tempos is a good idea...and you can't go wrong with anything they enjoy singing..either outloud or in their heads.

Eddie

#91076 - 12/09/04 12:58 PM Re: Nursing home set list
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Mike,

My mom moved in to an assisted care facility last May. I've been playing there the last Sunday night of the month ever since. I play anything. I've had requests for Elvis, Hymns, oldies you name it.

I've played:

Making Whoopie
Bill Baily
Satin Doll
All My Ex's
Cab Driver
Don't get around much
Sunny Side
Wave
Yellow Bird
Tuxedo Junction
Sentimental Journey
Blue Suede Shoes
Can't Help Flling in Love
Too Fat Polka
Beer Barrel Polka
Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie
Lady is a Tramp
and many others.

Mom is in a facility called Christian Care. I figure if I can get away with playing Making Whoopie, I can play just about anything. I have refrained from playing "In Heaven There Is No Beer" but I might do it someday.

Tom

Tom

#91077 - 12/09/04 01:11 PM Re: Nursing home set list
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
There are any number of people on this forum who play retirement homes and nursing homes. So there are likely different approaches used by different folks and you’ll probably read about them in other postings as well. I can only comment on my experiences playing in this type of venue over the past 7 years or so.

I have found that the people I play for like up-beat, happy music and tunes they recognize from their past. They also like a variety of tunes, with different beats and tempos.

I’ve created 45 minute programs of songs that vary from month to month but which I sometimes will repeat the following year. For example, in December I include some seasonal music and I may use the same program the following year – or I may modify it a bit. But if I have a program I’m satisfied with I tend to reuse it again each year. Of course I save the registrations that go with the program. I use a 45 minute program because I play two sets back to back. I’ll typically play in a medical center where many of the people are in wheel chairs and when I finish there I move my gear to another building, which is the assisted living facility, and I repeat the same program.

While I do have quite a few different play lists in my nursing home file, below is just one example. I’ve found a polka now and then goes over well. Also I generally try to sing about five of the numbers, spacing out the vocals as evenly as I can. And I’ve made it my custom to use Vaya Con Dios as my closing number each time. Hope this helps.
Paul C.

Anytime
Isle of Capri (cha-cha tempo)
Melody of Love
Margie (dixie tempo)
I Don’t Know Why I Love You Like I Do
Adios Muchachos
My Little Grass Shack
San Antonio Rose
Hound Dog
Hello Dolly
My Shawl
Beer Barrel Polka
South (dixie)
Cielito Lindo
Kansas City
Vaya Con Dios

#91078 - 12/09/04 01:40 PM Re: Nursing home set list
Dnj Offline

set lists mean nothing...you gotta entertain these people like gang busters as if you would any audience regardless if its a NH or anything else. Its all about working the crowd big time leaving them wanting more period!

#91079 - 12/09/04 03:12 PM Re: Nursing home set list
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I guess I should have told you I haven't played live in several years.
We live in a terrible area for live entertainment. Central New York-Syracuse.
My asking this question is just me being nosey as to my friends situation.
I appreciate the time it takes for you guys to answer my questions and I hope some more of you will chime in on this subject.
thanks again
Mike

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#91080 - 12/09/04 03:14 PM Re: Nursing home set list
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
For cryin' out loud .. they're PEOPLE! Give 'em both barrels and jog their memories. Some of them just exist from Breakfast to "Jeopardy" ... you can be a really bright spot in their day if you put out the effort. NO one wants to hear all slow songs at any age. Stimulate their minds!

#91081 - 12/09/04 04:52 PM Re: Nursing home set list
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I perform in several assisted living facilities where nearly everyone has Alzheimers or dementia. Most of these folks couldn't tell you their own names, but when I fire up the keyboard, everything is upbeat. Ironically, some individuals that appear to be sound asleep and totally out of it, suddenly wake up when the music starts, sing most of the words, clap their hands, tap their feet, and some even try to get up and dance. After a bit of research I discovered that music is one of the few things they can remember, even after they've lost the ability to remember their own spouse and children. At the end of the hour, some will actually ask when you expect to be coming back. They're looking forward to that next time you make their day a memorable occasion.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#91082 - 12/09/04 07:16 PM Re: Nursing home set list
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Obviously, most of us are playing tons of Xmas songs right now...

However, before I went into "Holiday Mode" My set list...(And I use that term loosely) looked something like this:

Autumn Leaves
My Blue Heaven
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Copacabana
Good Golly Miss Molly
Dream
Beautiful Ohio
Pennsylvania Polka
I've Got You Under My Skin
Green Eyes
Crazy
Route 66
Second That Emotion
I Saw her Standing There
And I Love Her
Hey, Good Lookin
On The Road Again

I use my full PA...(no monitors...) and I turn it up to a pretty hearty volume.

I know I have it just right when the nurses start dancing...

It sounds like a cliche, but when I play the first note of the gig...(really, ANY gig) I like to grab people's attention. At these nursing homes...these folks sleep most of the day. If you got poeple falling asleep in large numers...you should take a good look at your songs...

Bill in Dayton

#91083 - 12/09/04 07:24 PM Re: Nursing home set list
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Elderly people will enjoy peppy music to get their spirits up. They may not be able to get up and bob around but they WILL smile and sway in there chairs. I wouldnt be worried about it at all.

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online