SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#209525 - 11/11/03 02:59 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Roel Offline

Uncle Dave,

You are sooo right ! I'm sorry for this stupid mistake.
I'll edit this right away.
The new PA ? ...... no I do not love it..... and probably never will ;-)

Roel

#209526 - 11/11/03 07:48 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hmmmmm, so it doesn't excite you huh? Wonder when we'll see it here in Philly. Thanx for the update anyway !

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 11-11-2003).]

#209527 - 11/16/03 02:08 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Roel Offline

It seems a friend of mine got the very first PA1XPRO in the Netherlands. (the dutch music-stores got one demo-unit each)
He is living about 3 km's from me, so next week I'll visit him in his studio where the Korg and the SD1 both are ready to be 'compared'.

btw. Have a look at www.pa1xpro.de for more information and downloads.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 11-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 11-16-2003).]

#209528 - 11/21/03 03:28 AM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Roel Offline

Last night I visited Jan and we tried to find out how to operate the PA1XPro.

One thing is obvious : Operating it is hard !

The touch-screen is not the right interface because 3 of the 5 times we tried to type/push a 'button' it just did not recognize it. (frustrating !)

As I wrote before, the styles are average and some (!) sounds are very good e.g. harmonica, sampled drawbarsounds, church organs.
The Leslie effect while using the drawbars is poor. (no depth, no doppler effect)

Some parameter need to be set with a numeric pad that pops up at the display. (calculator look) Ather parameters can be in-/decreased with the wheel.

"Performances" are sound-presets and not instrument-presets as we expected them to be. (style, key, sounds etc)

We think the songbook is planned to contain instrument presets. (Technics has Panel Memories, Ketron has Block Registrations) The user can add new ones, but it is very hard to quick find songs in the list. Text filters can be set in Windows alike pop-up screens..... but boy.... it takes many seconds to click, clear, type, confirm, turn the wheel, select etc. !

Polyphony :
It is easy to demonstrate the limitations while holding down the sustain pedal. While using the styles and 'normal'playing there is no problem. Most styles however are not as half as 'filled' as the Ketron styles are.

Bug ?
I don't know what style I was using but one or more organs showed dropouts after using the transpose button at the very first notes after transpose.
The transpose buttons are positioned at the most right position on the panel..... why there ? (Most musicians need these on the LEFT/middle part of the keyboard)

In my opinion the PA1Xpro is perfect for home/studio use, but on stage I have my serious doubts because of the user-interface complexity.

In the Netherlands the PA1XPro costs about 4200 Euros and I think it just is 1000 Euros too high. I will not change from SD1 to PA1Xpro and that is for sure !

Keep in mind all above are personal thoughts.

Roel

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online