SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209368 - 10/19/04 03:47 PM my pa1xpro demos
seanbaker Offline

Curious to get your feedback on my demos from my pa1xpro. If I had more time to scrutinize each part and if I could have used a sequencer, I think it could've been even better. The page explains my recording process. http://www.seanbaker.com/korg.html

#209369 - 10/19/04 06:37 PM Re: my pa1xpro demos
Dnj Offline

Nice Job Sean....

Unique music, very well done!!!

I enjoyed it...The Pax1 sounds great keep up the nice playing!

#209370 - 10/19/04 06:50 PM Re: my pa1xpro demos
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Wow...although it isn't my kind of music
I hear the fantastic sound of the PA1xPro.
Good recording also.
Better if you know you didn't use a sequencer.
"Give it back to the Indians" is impressive in that way.

Jan

#209371 - 10/19/04 08:53 PM Re: my pa1xpro demos
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Two things: you are very talented and the PA1X sounds great.

In a nutshell, one outstanding job!

Makes me want the Korg, but not until they chop it down like they did with the PA50.

I would only use it for live play, so a bit less $$ and less weight would do it for me. I'll be waiting.

#209372 - 10/20/04 09:47 AM Re: my pa1xpro demos
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Seanbaker: You did a GREAT job in that music....you are very talented and also know how to use your gear. Congratulations !

------------------
mdorantes

#209373 - 10/20/04 10:34 AM Re: my pa1xpro demos
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Sean, nice stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by seanbaker:
The only track that I used a preset style for was in "Give It Back To The Indians" where I only used the bass and drums--the rest were added myself. The other tunes were tracked from the ground up from scratch.

Sean, am I to assume that the only song actually recorded in 'auto-accompaniment' mode was "Give It Back To The Indians", and that ALL other songs were recorded (track by track) in traditional sequencer record mode?

Sean, realizing that you're both a studio guy as well as live entertainer, interested in hearing your experiences (if any) utilizing the PA1xPro for OMB live work, performing in arranger 'auto accompaniment' mode. Have you experienced any glitches (out of sync delays) when transitioning from one style pattern variation to another? Would you recommend the PA1Xpro for a OMB lounge entertainer who plays principally in arranger mode?

Sean, your distinctive 50's-60's lounge retro influence shines thru in your work. What I especially appreciate with your new PA1Xpro, is the dramatic sound improvement over your earlier stuff, yet your own orchestral-arrangement style sense still shines thru. Sean, are you producing the music for this entire show? Would love to hear your arrangements of some other songs from Freberg's "History of the US" show as well:
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1064309

Keep up the good work. Thanks again for sharing.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#209374 - 10/20/04 02:14 PM Re: my pa1xpro demos
seanbaker Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Sean, am I to assume that the only song actually recorded in 'auto-accompaniment' mode was "Give It Back To The Indians", and that ALL other songs were recorded (track by track) in traditional sequencer record mode?

I only used the bass and drum tracks from the big band style but recorded them in digital audio then layered the other parts orver them in seperate tracks. I didn't actually use the onboard sequencer.

Quote:
Sean, realizing that you're both a studio guy as well as live entertainer, interested in hearing your experiences (if any) utilizing the PA1xPro for OMB live work,...

I actually only use this for recording and flushing out orchestrations. My live work is with my band Four Sexes (www.foursexes.com). I have little to no experience doing OMB things. Well, I do have this comedy lounge duo called the Leisure Kings (www.leisurekings.com). We dress up in 70s tuxedos with ruffled shirts and play heavy metal and rap songs lounge style and I use the oldest and crapiest casiotones I can find (MT-68 CT-701, VL-Tone), but that's purely for comic effect. I'm not up on the modern technology regarding auto-accomp for live playing. You guys really know your stuff and how to use this equipment. I'm fairly simple minded and can only master playing my one instrument. I don't know how you guys manage to perform and still know which buttons to push at the same time.

Quote:
Sean, are you producing the music for this entire show?

No they only adapted the early years, and they cut some of the music and replaced it with others, i.e. "Give It Back To The Indians" which was not on the freberg album. Is it true most of those orchestrations were done by Billy May?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online