SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209347 - 08/24/06 07:34 PM T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

Loc: Hayward, California, USA
I installed a hard drive for my T2 on 7/8/06 and it has been working fine. This morning when I turned my keyboard on, it didn't recognized my hard drive.

Suspecting that my hard drive has gone bad. I exchanged it for a new one and made sure that it works before I installed it on my keyboard. Unfortunately, the keyboard still doesn't regonize my new drive which leads me to believe that the problem is with the T2.

Has anyone run into such a problem before?

Please help if you have such an experience.

Joel

#209348 - 08/24/06 09:20 PM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
Dnj Offline

this happened to me also....
You might have to reformat the HD to make it work?

#209349 - 08/25/06 05:15 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

Please give me more details. Since the T2 does not recognize the hard drive, I'll have to format it from a PC.

Do I format it as FAT 32 or what? Is it Ok if I partitition it as well?

Thanks,

Joel

#209350 - 08/25/06 05:39 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

Let me be more specific. When I use function-utility-media sequence, the hard drive does not show up on the T2 screen. Therefore I cannot format it with the T2.

I can attach the hard drive to a PC and format it from there. Please let me know what choices I should use when I format it?

Thanks,

Joel

#209351 - 08/25/06 06:31 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Joel. When I installed my 60 GB HD (Samsung MP0603H) and turned on the Tyros2, it automatically formated the drive following a prompt. I assume, because you mentioned that you first tested your new HD on another (computer) source that you formatted the drive (on the PC) as well? I'm pretty sure that Tyros requires FAT32 HD formatting, not NTFS, so if if you had formatted NTFS, that may be the problem. Because the formatting utility feature included onboard Tyros2 creates a SINGLE partition only, that's the way my HD is formatted, but because (I assume) you have the opportunity to reformat it from you PC, I'd recommend creating at least 2 partitions: one for audio rec files, and a second partition for simple Yamaha styles, regs, multipads, midis, etc. The advantage of keeping large audio (WAV) files separate from the other stuff is because it helps avoid the audio files from becoming fragmented, slowing down HD access time. If reformatting the HD FAT32 doesn't solve the problem, then I think it's time to contact Steve Deming at Yamaha USA Customer Support:

Email: ycasupport@yamaha.com
phone: (714) 522-9011 support

Following your initial contact, you'll be given a case number, and Steve or another member of Yamaha's support team will call you back with 24 hours.

Please keep us posted. Good luck.

Scott

#209352 - 08/25/06 03:14 PM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

Thanks Scott for your suggestions. I just talked to the Yamaha guy and he told me that it has to be formatted as FAT 16 or it won't work.

I'll try several things and I'll keep you posted. Since the T2 is still under warranty, I may just bring it to one of the SF Bay Area authorized service center and let them figure it out.

Joel

#209353 - 08/28/06 03:23 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
FAT16 on a 60GB drive? Doesn't sound right to me. My PSR3000 formatted a blank 20GB drive (in a USB case) using FAT32.

#209354 - 08/28/06 03:54 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Joel - I think the guys are right - I had exactly the same problem you are describing. It occured because the drive I was installing in my T2 had previously been used in a laptop machine. When I installed it in the T2, the utility functions failed to recognize it. I removed it, put it back into the laptop, reformatted it (FAT 32) and when I re-installed it into the T2, it worked fine. Good luck and keep us posted!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#209355 - 08/28/06 05:26 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
FAT 16 cannot create a partition larger then 2GB, so format your drive with FAT32.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#209356 - 09/09/06 05:33 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

After trying out some of the advice from this and other forums, my T2 still didn't recognize the HDD.

Because the T2 is still under warranty I took it to a Yamaha authorized service center in the San Francisco area. The Tech at the shop concurred with what I have found; the keyboard will only recognize the HDD intermittently. The Tech then called Yamaha for support but Yamaha offered little help other than I should try using an IBM Travelstar (40GB) HDD.

After much calling on my part to YAMAHA and telling them that the installed HDD is in on the Yamaha recommended list and that it worked fine for about a month before the problem started, Yamaha finally offered to replace the computer board of the T2.

The new computer board will be installed next week and I’ll keep you all posted on whether the problem is finally fixed.

Joel

#209357 - 09/09/06 07:13 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jkwhyd:
Yamaha offered little help other than I should try using an IBM Travelstar (40GB) HDD. After much calling on my part to YAMAHA and telling them that the installed HDD is in on the Yamaha recommended list and that it worked fine for about a month before the problem started.

Just curious: which 'make & model' hard drive on Yamaha's recommended list, do you have installed in your Tyros2?

Quote:
Originally posted by jkwhyd:
After much calling on my part to YAMAHA . . . Yamaha finally offered to replace the computer board of the T2.The new computer board will be installed next week and I’ll keep you all posted on whether the problem is finally fixed.

Joel. I most certainly sympathize with the hassles you're presently going thru to get your HD problem resolved, as it reminds me a little of what I had to go thru to finally get Yamaha to replace the deffective 'USB interface Board' on my Tyros1: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !

Joel, thanks for continuing to keep us posted. Good luck!

Scott

#209358 - 09/09/06 09:11 AM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

Scott:

I just read through all the postings with regards to your Tyros USB troubles. Frankly, I am going through a similar experience.

To answer your question, the original HDD I installed which worked for about a month was a 40 GB made by Fujitsu. When the T2 stopped recognizing it, I replaced it with a new but identical HDD making sure that it works before I installed it. When the T2 failed to recognize the second HDD I again replaced it with a 60 GB Toshiba unit. All these HDD are on the Yamaha recommended list.

The tech at the repair shop inspected and re-soldered the connections of the HDD harness and the 60 GB Toshiba HDD was recognized for only a couple of duty cycles. The repair shop tech then called for Yamaha support and received many conflicting suggestions. They finally said that there are many problems with the Fujitsu and Toshiba HDDs and suggested that I replace them with an IBM Travelstar (or 40GB) HDD.

At this point the repair shop wanted to return the Tyros to me. I told them that this is un-acceptable and that I'll call Yamaha myself.

I got on the phone and talked to Harvey Casey at Yamaha. He called me back a little later and told me that he will send the repair shop a new mother board next week. I am hoping that the problem will be fixed as the main reason I bought the T2 is because of its recording ability.

In the meantime, I am using my PR 3000 but I miss the T2's recording capabilities.

Joel

#209359 - 09/20/06 05:04 PM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
jkwhyd Offline

Finally, some good news. The keyboard seems to have been fixed but I am still testing it out. I got it back from the repair shop this afternoon.

Yamaha eventually agree to send the authorized repair shop a new motherboard for the T2. It was installed yesterday and the keyboard seems to work fine. Of course all the data I had on the HDD were erased.

I am happy that my T2 seems to be in working order but I have lost a lot of recorded music.

To be fair, Yamaha gave me good service once I reached their National Service Manager. Before that I got the run around by their Technical Advisers who gave conflicting information and advice. They mostly tried to deny Yamaha's responsibility by claiming that my HDD is not compatible to the T2 even though it was on the recommended list.

I had to work hard to get the motherboard replaced. If I hadn't made all those phone calls, my keyboard would not have received the attention that it (and the high price) deserves.

Joel

#209360 - 09/20/06 05:24 PM Re: T2 does not recognize hard drive
Scottyee Offline

Hi Joel, it appears that the only way we can be assured of getting satisfactory results these days is by fighting tooth and nail. Congratulations. I trust that your troubles are behind you and that you can get back to making terrfic music on your T2.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online