SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209105 - 02/12/05 09:36 AM Let your keyboard play all internet midifiles
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Most people may have already configured this but for those who haven't ,this tip:

Go in windows to your configurations screen and search for your audio properties.
In audio properties go to the audio tab.
Look for midi device (or something like that) and choose your midi-interface for(to) your keyboard, normally it's on GM played by your soundcard.
Now if windows media player has to play a midifile your keyboard will play it.
So if you go for instance to this link
e-chords and play the mediaplayer you should hear your keyboard playing the midisong.
It's sounds a lot better than the standard soundcard in most of the used pc's.

Just trying to share some usefull tips!

Jan

#209106 - 02/12/05 10:12 AM Re: Let your keyboard play all internet midifiles
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Jan,

Good tip...I kinda do that here at home where my keyboard is. On my home computer, I have the Yamaha XG-50 Softsynth set as my primary midi mapper but it's real easy to switch over to my keyboard (GEM WK8). If I get a midi that uses a lot of XG voices, I like to hear it first with the softsynth, then choose the best equivalent on my board. At work, I use an external Edirol SD-90 module which works very well (GM, GM2, XG-Light voices).

I noticed that you play a Korg PA1Xpro. How has midi playback been for you? I know that Frankieve commented about the drum selection when playing GM midis and Notlos commented about the mix of the track volumes (I think).

Thanks.

-mike

#209107 - 02/12/05 03:27 PM Re: Let your keyboard play all internet midifiles
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Maybe Frankieve and Notlos are right but I think it also depends on what midifile is playing.
But it is easily adjusted with the slider.

Jan

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online