SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209066 - 09/25/03 04:01 AM 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone here use the full keyboardA1 fingering setting on the psr 2100?
I JUST got mine - my first arranger keyboard! I'm still so overwhelmed - but using this type of fingering seems to give me a more "natural" sounding song, not so canned, at least at this point!
This place is a wealth of info, and I just want to say thanks in advance!

Jill

#209067 - 09/25/03 05:02 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I use nothing but full fingered mode on my keyboards. The other modes cramp my style so I could never use a keyboard like the DGX series. However, it's a matter of personal choice. Most folks seem to use the other fingering modes.

Bryan

#209068 - 09/25/03 05:20 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also own a DGX300, which I do love, what I ended up doing there was editing a midi file down to bare bones, just drums, bass, maybe a little "fluff", and playing full piano along with it.

I'm finding I'm having to re edit each midi, now with the 2100 - which is taking alot of tweaking, but I think will sound 100 times better in the long run.
My hubby is still not convinced it sounds "better" than the DGX300, (both are hooked up to my2 peavy 2lx speakers) but I find the voices sooo rich.

I had a Yamaha keyboard in the early 90s, I did learn their "fingering" approach back then, but being trained as a pianist, I find that approach sometimes stifles my sound/creativity I guess.

Jill

#209069 - 09/25/03 08:41 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I use full fingered mode occasionally, but don't you have to ensure you play a full chord on every chord change?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-25-2003).]

#209070 - 09/25/03 10:07 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jill

Welcome to Synthzone and congratulations on your new keyboard (PSR2100).

I almost exclusively play (both my Tyros & PSR2000) in 'full' fingered mode, and fully agree (with you) that this provides a much more natural realistic performance, especially (of course) with the 'left' voice turned 'ON'.

The #1 ingredient to a more convincing LIVE (vs canned) pro arranger kb performance is to make sure that you're playing LIVE as much as possible 'throughout' the song, keeping the auto accompaniment to function only as a background/supporting role.

With styles which include piano/keyboard auto accompaniment parts, I ALWAYS mute (or delete) them and make sure that I play these parts LIVE myself (left voice). I particularly find most 'auto accompaniment' piano/keyboard parts to sound pretty stiff (canned), and that playing them LIVE with more creatively played & varied full chord voicings (both root & rootless) adds a dramatic degree of realism to provide a much more LIVE (realistic) sound. I urge everyone to develop full left hand chord playing keyboard skills if at all possible. This way, in addition to playing the right parts live, adding fully voiced left hand chord played live, decreases the amount of auto accomp (canned) parts (instruments) heard. I typically restrict asssignment of the left voice to: piano, organ, synth, or strings.

Scott

#209071 - 09/25/03 10:13 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Scott -
what is the main difference between the two full fingered modes the 2100 offers:
Are you using the "full keyboard" or the "full A1keyboard"??

I'm trying both, I just have so many questions that keep coming up, and really trying to learn this!

I have a rock gig/clambake with a singing partner in a week, but we'll probably use my trusty old DGX300, as that is what we use in practice and I'm still so new to this board and it's settings.

Jill

#209072 - 09/25/03 10:47 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Scottyee Offline

Jill: The ONLY difference is that 'Fingered' mode requires that at least a 3 note chord (root, 3rd & 5th) be played while 'A1 Fingered' will (in addition) recognize the triad when only 2 notes (root & 3rd) are played. BOTH 'Fingered" & 'A1 Fingered' recognize standard root included as well as rootless 'jazz' type chord voicings. I typically play in 'Fingered' mode, but I may now switch to 'A1 Fingered' for its added chord option.

Scott

#209073 - 09/25/03 10:47 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Scott,
Very interesting, I will see if this will work on my PSR550. For organ, synth and strings, I assume you hold the chord down. What type of rythm do you use for piano mode?
Whenever I used full keyboard mode, I use piano in full mode (no split). I have to nail the chord on the change, otherwise the accompaniment does not recognise it.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-25-2003).]

#209074 - 09/25/03 11:47 AM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm liking the A1 real well - thanks so much for the input.
I still feel light years away from making this all "work" the way I want to!

Jill

#209075 - 09/25/03 12:05 PM Re: 2100 - playing with full keyboard fingering
Scottyee Offline

Star

I haven't experienced any delay problems with chord recognition in 'fingered' mode.

I generally use the same type of 'keyboard comping' techniques used in non-arranger keyboard playing which include a combo of rhythmic playing and held chords along with some short fills played by the left hand. The advantage of 'fingered' mode vs 'A1 fingered' mode playing is that it allows you to play left voice fills playing 2 notes simultaneously instead of just single note fills with 'A1 fingered'.

On Technics arranger keyboards, I find full keyboard mode much better implemented. On Yamaha arrangers, the chord recognition in full keyboard mode, jumps inappropriately (creating unmusical resuslts) when you change the melody notes (which are within an octave of the left hand chords) in the right hand. I find 'fingered' mode on Yamaha arrangers much better implemented than 'full keyboard' as it allows you to play the same professional type 'two hand' piano comping patterns used when playing an acoustic piano with a real live band: the left hand playing the core chord voicing to establish the desired chord recognition by the arranger (typically including the 3rd and 7th, and root, or perhaps an extension: 13th or 9th, with the right hand chord notes providing the other upper structure chord tones which might include altered tensions: b9, #11, etc. This Split 'fingered' mode provides more right hand note freedom to include chord tone alterations which will not unintentially change the arrangers chord recognition by mistake.

Jill: Looking forward to hearing your music on the PSR2100

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online