SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209062 - 02/14/05 11:52 AM Notation Software
grandpa tom Offline

Loc: Prescott, WI, USA
Hi Folks,

What is the groups take on MidiNotate and MidiIllustraror, both of which will convert midi-files to music scores. Although I am a long time musician, I am limited in my knowledge of the high-tech discussions taking place here. I want to learn as much as possible in order to take full advantage of my new PSR-3000 that I just got last week. A few other questions:

What is the difference between a midi (.mid) and a karoke file (.kar.)?

Can an MP3 be converted to a midi file or vice-versa?

I get the impression that many of you use midi tracks and your sequencers to supplement your arrangements rather than just playing in real-time. Am I correct on that one (not that I'm knocking it)?

I will have many more questions in the future. Please help me out 'cause I really want this knowledge. I have already learned a LOT from you guys already!!

Thanks you all,

Tom J

#209063 - 02/14/05 12:13 PM Re: Notation Software
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
"Midinotate": Works well for converting MIDI files to sheet music. I tried to use it to key in notes, and did not work well for that.
"Can an MP3 be converted to a midi file or vice-versa?"
Converting an MP3 to a midi file is problematic. Converting a MIDI file to an MP3 is possible.
"Sequencers". I play live only.

#209064 - 02/14/05 01:22 PM Re: Notation Software
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

The easiset way to convert a midi file to an MP3 is to plug your keyboard's stero output into your computer's audio in. Then follow the instructions at http://psrtutorial.com/L/REC/MakeCD.html

As for converting MP3s to midis, there are a few programs available that will do that, but the results are marginal at best.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#209065 - 02/14/05 01:34 PM Re: Notation Software
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Tom,

A midi file contains the instructions to playback your midi-instruments only.
A Kar file contains the lyrics as well.

About midi;
A *.mid/*.kar file does not contain any sound!
These files only have the instructions how to playback midi capable instruments.
Your psr has rom sound banks which will receive instructions from the midi file how to play back the sounds from your soundbanks.

A good place to learn about midi is midifarm as they have a section where most of midi is pretty good explained.

Above description also makes clear why it is difficult to convert from an audio file (wave/mp3 etcc..) to midi.
Unless there are only a few instruments in the audio file it won't work.

A midi file directly converting to audio(mp3 or wave) is impossible as the midi file does not contain any sound!
Ofcourse you can playback the midifile through your psr and then record the audio!
But that's not converting , it is playback and then recording!

Here's the link for midifarm.
http://www.midifarm.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online