SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#208382 - 06/06/02 11:04 PM PA60 sound system and key feel.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hear from reliable sources that the arrival of the Korg PA60 is right around the corner. After playing with the PA80 (a SECOND time) I am beginning to think that I might give the 60 a whirl IF...and only IF - the key feel is the same (or better) and the sound system is AS LEAST as loud and clear as the big brother. To be honest, the PA80 breaks up a little quick for my taste, but it's not too bad. I think it's because of the "auto loudness" feature. You can't shut that off either.....or can you?

I've made a few decisions about the PA80 so far:

1) The drums sounds are as good as ANY out there, but the patterns are a little erratic. Many are too busy, and the fill-ins do not always match up well with the style. Lots of things need to be rewritten, but fortunately .... the entire rhythm bank can be replaced with whatever patters the user likes. Great feature.

2) The sequencer needs to support long file names. I'm so spoiled by the laptop screen that when I leave the pc home ... I can hardly tell what song is WHAT!

3) The acoustic piano still needs work, as do ALL Korg synths.( Very weak point in the Korg lineup - I don't understand why) I really like the electric pianos, so it's only a small sacrifice for me, but in the price range that it falls into - it SHOULD gave a better grand piano sound. The basic tone is not so bad, but the harmonics are blah, and the dynamic timbre change is too subtle. It just feels unresponsive compared to the other sounds. Maybe it's "tweakable" but so far .... it's weak.

4) I prefer the Korg, Roland, Ketron chord recognition to all the rest so far. Yamaha, Technics, Casio ... they all use that "idiot" method of selecting major/minor/seventh chords. I use one finger for major chords, but when a more complex chord is needed - I can finger it any way I like. It recognizes it as long as the root & third (at least) are played.
e.g.:
Korg) play C & Bb together = C7
Yamaha) same thing = Cm (woah!)
Lots of "Unmusical" chord triggers. Makes basic theory knowledge a hindrance.
Three finger chords are not in my arsenal as of yet - remember ... I'm a left handed bass player first! I don't really want to learn complex chords fingerings with the left hand. I want easy - I do too much already !

5) The only thing I really miss is a working "Chordal mode" harmonizer. The Korg uses a "vocoder" method, so it only produces the notes played. Unacceptable for me, so I am forced to lug a rack bag with my TC harmonizer in it. Not such a big trade off - it sounds better than ANY built-in harmonizer out there anyway. The basic tones of the voices are pretty good in most of the high end brands, but the effects and features of the TC are above the pack in all areas. It's clean, quiet, versatile, and works as it SHOULD. Chordal, scale or vocoder mode. The user gets to pick the trigger method. I really hope Korg addresses this. I love the idea of leaving the bag home more often!

6) TWO sequencers, and TWO audio inputs !!!
Great, great thinking here.
Mic & guitar at the same time - very smart.

So the reports are good. The new operating system has improved this keyboard and made it a contender, finally. I'm sure I will find more things that I like or dislike, but for now - I'm an ALL KORG guy again. The Farfisa is going to sleep in my studio .... just in case I need a quick, nursing home piece in a pinch. I sure wish everyone else had that cool mic stand that's built right INTO the keyboard base. That's the best feature about the G7. The piano sample is identical to Roland's GM sound, and the speakers are very good, but the modern styles are terrible and there is NO 3rd party support for new styles so far.
As a totally "live" piece, or a simple standard and ethnic rhythm gig piece - it can really shine, but try playing "Mustang Sally" or "I can't help myself" and you'll think you had the Lawrence Welk orchestra as your backing band. This is not a bad thing for polka's, but when it comes to R&R ..... it's very weak.

In conclusion - I'm almost satisfied with the PA80 again. I am still in search of a keyboard that has the kind of vocalizer I need, but until that is a reality - I'm reasonably happy with these compromises. It's a game of balance - give up this....get that....you know how it is.
In the working world, as a musician I can use this keyboard for now.(Deja-vu)

#208383 - 06/07/02 12:43 AM Re: PA60 sound system and key feel.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
UD. At the recent Keyboard Festival we attended for 6 days, the Korg demonstrator informed me that the PA60 has everything that the PA80 has apart from expandability. Same voices & Styles. To me the key feel of both were the same. It was nice to see Korg putting a bit of effort in at last at these Festivals. They now realize they have a captive audience of disposable income for a full week.

Graham UK

#208384 - 06/07/02 12:46 AM Re: PA60 sound system and key feel.
Uncle Dave Offline

The way I see it ...... I can't use the harmonizer anyway, I NEVER do user sampling, so why pay the extra for an 80 over a 60???

If the sound system is strong - I'll most likely get one to try.

#208385 - 06/07/02 05:54 AM Re: PA60 sound system and key feel.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Uncle Dave,

Very good points on the PA80. Having had the board for over year now and having hung on to it even though I was not happy with the earlier OS versions, I find that I agree with your observations. The piano sound is unacceptable to me, but it isn't an issue because I bring the Motif along with me anyway ( superb pianos both electric and acoustic ). I never use samples in a live setting either. In the studio if I really need to use a sample, my software samplers are much easier to use than the samplers on either the PA80 or the Motif.

As for midifiles, I don't use them in the PA80 all that often ( more so in the Motif ), but I've had to rename a few so that I can recognize them inside of the board.

The onboard amplifier / speaker system is okay, but I too notice a bit of distortion at higher levels. The PSR2000 had a better onboard system. I'm not sure what you refer to with the "auto loudness" thing, but I use the third slider to control the volume of my real time voices. Would that help you ?

I agree with the vocalizer thing too, but I happen to like that the PA80's responds to the amount of keys pressed. Works for my style of play I guess. I could bring along the Digitech, ( which also sounds as good if not better than any internal one that I've ever used ) but I can live with the Vocalizer as it is, so it's one less thing for me to drag around.

I agrre about the drum patterns too. Some are excellent but some are a little "out there" . There are so many styles converted already though that it isn't even an issue for me. I can ( and have ) replaced some of the factory styles with user styles. Great feature. Some of the conversions out there aren't all that great on first listen, ( note data is correct but effects, vol levels panning, and patch choices themselves are poor ) but the board itself makes it so easy to add the "spice" needed to make them sound better.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 06-07-2002).]

#208386 - 06/07/02 07:23 AM Re: PA60 sound system and key feel.
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:

I'm not sure what you refer to with the "auto loudness" thing, but I use the third slider to control the volume of my real time voices. Would that help you ?

AJ,
I read somewhere that the internal amp has a "loudness" control, like the kind you see on home stereo's to enhance bass at lower levels. It's great for fattening up a low signal, but as you start to push the limits, it usualy gets dirty.
I, too use the third slider as my real time voice level - very handy. I have been keeping my master slider at about 3/4. At this position, I can push the drums up when needed, and also the lead sound. My default levels are all even at 3/4.(just enough room to put my finger at the top of the slider path, and stop it from maxing out)

I really think the PA60 might sneak it's way into my arsenal. I prefer the dark color, don't need the extra outputs .... and if the styles ands sounds are identical (which the demo seems to suggest)then ... it's got all the things that I already like about the PA80, but in a slimmed down version. It will all come down to feel and sound system. Afer George gets back from Italy, he might have more news on the ETA. Korg reps have been optimistic about an early summer arrival. We'll see, won't we?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online