SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20830 - 02/09/03 02:02 PM Oberheim XK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could someone tell me a little more about the Oberheim XK Rmote keyboard. Is it any good? I am working on tryin to bulid my own synthesizer, with MIDI modules, and I wanted to know how versital the XK was, mainly becuse not too many remote keyboard controllers come in a wodden case. Those that do cost up to a $1,000.00. But they only work with the newe analog synths. I Need MIDI, I figured that the XK dose. Any help would be greatly appericated.

#20831 - 05/27/03 08:36 AM Re: Oberheim XK
MatrixOSX Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh
I used to use an XK as a controller when I played for a country music band in the early 90s. It was an excellent and small controller with a responsive keyboard best for playing Hammond organ parts (perfect for glissandos). The programming was simple yet very flexible with zones, velocity, patch changes (up to 3 I think) and even an arpeggiator. Make sure you have the original power supply -- I don't think the built-in circuitry is regulated and too much/irregular voltage may kill it. They are run on a Motorola 6809 if I remember right. Another favorite feature is the pitch bend/modulation levers. They are also assignable, spring loaded, and pull towards you which makes it easier to emulate guitar-style vibratos using pitch bend. Get one if you can find it -- they usually aren't more than $300 on eBay.

------------------
"Music so wishes to be
heard that it calls on some
to give it voice and some to
give it ears." -- Fripp
give it ears." -- Fripp

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online