SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208261 - 12/10/03 05:15 PM considering the WK3500... among others
aprilla Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi,

I'm returning to music after a break of some years and want to replace my PSR5700 with something with more styles and compatability with all the 'stuff' available on the Internet, and dabble in midi/computer music.

I've been enjoying reading here and would welcome any opinions on a keyboard for a home/pleasure novice-forever type ...oh, I don't sing either, however my timing is quite good LOL

When I bought my PSR5700 new I was quickly disappointed/bored with the styles, I don't intend to spend that sort of money again now. There seems to have been vast improvements in keyboards since then, 10 or so years??? so nearly anything I read about and listen to examples of seem to suit my wants.

What do I want? First, sounds good with lots of styles and variations, then midi and an internet community, not too heavy so I can go from computer room to other rooms. That's about it really, I'm not into any one style of music but enjoy dabbling in everything. Oh, I cannot test any keyboard locally and will probably buy on internet or mail order.

Naturally I want the biggest/best/newest but I don't know that I need it right now so value for money seems the best to go for. I have found the keyboards below at what seem fair prices according to my reading, is there anything there you would recommend to avoid or snap up??

* PSR8000 with HD
* SX-KN5000
* WK-3500
* PSR740
* PSR1100/2100

I've always had a Yamaha/Technics bias so have an 'urge' for the PSR8000 or KN5000 but I find myself swaying towards the Casio even though I was never much of a fan. Maybe I want the 'change is good' 'new is fun' aspect, I don't know... The 1100 and 2100 are more expensive so I would expect to keep them longer, therefore they would have to have a real advantage - for me - over the others to pursuade me to buy.

So, any opinions on my selection? I'm finding it really hard to decide, I think I just want them all!

aprilla

#208262 - 12/10/03 06:07 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Aprilla,
Out of the possibilities you have listed, my recommendation would be the PSR2100. In fact I've "put my money where my mouth is" and bought one. To appreciate how "open ended" this keyboard can be visit http://www.psrtutorial.com . The resources there (and at other sites) can keep your keyboard sounding fresh for years to come.
Best Regards,
Deaton

#208263 - 12/10/03 06:33 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
aprilla

If you have been out of Music for several years and maybe are rusty because of it you may want to scale back at first to get yourself back in the groove with a less expensive Keyboard. After you have gotten back into the flow of things you could then sell the less expensive Board, etc., and graduate to a higher end one. I recommend the Casio WK3500 to start off with because it is a great dollar for dollar intermediate Arranger Keyboard. It has features that Keyboards costing 5x as much don't have, ie., "Smart Media" capability. It also has 76 Keys and is light and very portable. Its onboard speakers are decent and the cost of the WK3500 is only $399. The Styles and Sounds are much improved over the WK1800 Series so I've heard. They now have them in stock at Synth Planet.com but if you buy from there the cost is 550 Euros. You should be able to find a Retailer somewhere in Ireland that carries the WK3500 for less.

Whatever you decide to get enjoy the ride!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-10-2003).]

#208264 - 12/10/03 07:44 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The best advice any of us can give you is to sit down and play each of those you've listed. As for the Casio, to my ears the styles were good to excellent, lots of things that I would never use though, but the voices were marginal at best when compared to the PSR-2100--not even close. The 8000 is also a good machine, but I still prefer the versatility and portability of the 2100, which weighs considerably less.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#208265 - 12/10/03 08:44 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I haven't has the chance to demo the 3500, but I did give the wk3000 a good workout. I think the styles and soundset are similar between the two if not the same. I liked some of the sounds, and the organs and saxes were very good, but overall I wasn't impressed, and some of the styles sounded pretty good, but many were not so good. I wouldn't expect much more at it's price though, and for what it cost it's probably a good value. I was looking at the 3500 as a potential 76 key controller and if some sounds were pretty good that would have been a bonus. I didn't like the key feel all that much on the 3000, ( better than the PSR line though ) but again maybe the 3500 is different.

The kn5000 is a few models ago, I played one and liked it, but my experience with it was limited.

As far as the PSR models go, if you can live with the key feel ( I don't like it at all), I would say the 2100 is the one of the best value wise for what it costs of any of The arrangers out there. It's a major upgrade from the 740, wwhich I had for a few years.

The best advice has already been given. Try them all if possible, and then try to decide based on what sounds best, feels best in your hands, and has the features you'll want for whatever you plan to do wuith your arranger.

AJ

#208266 - 12/11/03 03:54 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
aprilla Offline

This is great, thanks for replies.

Unfortunately I can't try out any keyboards, they aren't available to me, but I can't let that put me off and I'd rather look on it as giving me more scope... I am so excited by the prospect of starting up again I'm tempted to pull out our original 'mini kb' with the tiny keys, oh dear...

deatonent, travlin'easy
Thanks, PSR2100 would be my first choice but I think I have decided to go with an inexpensive start. I'm going to leave the PSR1100/1200 to bring myself up to speed cause I do have a lot to learn and catch up with. The PSR1200 will be there when I am ready for it, I do want it but this feels right.

keybplayer
I think you are giving me what I know myself, get back into it and then choose. I will know better what will be right by then and might have a chance to try others when travelling. Yes, thanks.

Bluezplayer
Thanks for the input. New vs old. The KN5000 is at a low price and might give me an interesting change from Yamahas while I play catch up. The limitations might keep me from running before I'm walking again - personally I never did get much past a slow trot LOL

OK I'm now between the Yamaha and the Technics. Prices suit per, each seems to be a well regarded machine and these models have enough built-in to get me going and Internet community to keep me on track. What more could a body ask for? But - the WK3500 keeps butting in. I have this impression that it's like a comedy movie advert - you've seen all the good bits before going to the cinema LOL - still, it won't go away!

KN5000 - inexpensive, short term reintroduction on a new unfamiliar make Unless of course I love it and keep it forever...

PSR740 - safe re-introduction, should get up and running pretty smoothly with this

WK3500 - the wild card, I can't fathom why it's still on my list but it keeps coming back

I will trawl the net today for more examples and reviews, and I intend to check out the KN2400/2600. I hadn't considered them on my first round-up.

again much thanks

#208267 - 12/11/03 08:21 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The PSR740, KN5000, PSR8000 are discontinued models. If you are going to purchase a used machine, why not consider a PSR2000?

I also returned to music after a 25 year break. I wasn't sure if I would stick with it (and neither was my wife) so we purchased a demoed Roland EM20. Well I did stick with it so I purchased a Yamaha PSR540, then sold it and purchased PSR550. I noticed yesterday a PSR2000 for sale in the Buy & Sell. Every time you sell and buy you lose approx 30% - 50%. I could have saved myself a bundle if I had purchased the PSR2000 straight away. Sigh
Kevin

#208268 - 12/11/03 08:34 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by aprilla:
I'm returning to music after a break of some years and want to replace my PSR5700 with something with more styles and compatability with all the 'stuff' available on the Internet, and dabble in midi/computer music.
aprilla

Aprilla...
No doubt in my mind what I would do. I came from a 5700..went to a 740, then a psr 9000 and finally a PSR 2000. I liked them all...but the 2000 blew me away and fit my needs perfectly. Since then the 2100 and Tyros came out with some improved features...but best bang for the buck at for what you describe is the 2000...and it has the new, improved operating system found on the 2100 and Tyros. (I found the 740 very cumbersome to operate on stage.)
Eddie

#208269 - 12/12/03 02:28 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
aprilla Offline

OK it's all over - I've purchased and I'm like a child at Christmas, it was a real toss between the KN2600 and the PSR2100 at the end but it's done now and I can't wait to get these old hands on it.

Thanks for your help/advice/suggestions, but mostly your experience. It helped steady me when my mind was fluttering in all directions, I know now I have made the right choice.
I'm spoiling myself, my final decision was for the PSR2100 based on 1.desire 2.support 3.price

Yippee!

#208270 - 12/12/03 03:32 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I don't think that you'll regret your decision aprilla. I bought a 2100 last month mainly as back-up for my KN7000 and I like it so much that the 7000 has now become back-up to the 2100.. All the gigs I have done with it have produced great responses from audiences.
Anticipate and enjoy!!!!

#208271 - 12/17/03 03:38 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
aprilla Offline

My deal for the PSR2100 fell through and I am now getting the KN2600 (both were excellent prices).
Am looking forward to the new experience with Technics, having only had PSRs in the past. Next year there is the PSR3000 I hear, by then I will know my preference or maybe start a keyboard collection LOL

#208272 - 12/18/03 02:40 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
Bluebird Offline

Well, so it will be very interesting to know your feeling about both keyboards, 2600 and 2100. Sounds, styles, keys, easy O.S....
Cheers

#208273 - 12/18/03 08:41 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
"My deal for the PSR2100 fell through and I am now getting the KN2600".
Ehhhhhhhh! I'm sorry that answer is incorrect. Just make another deal for a PSR2100. I was not impressed with the MP3 demos of the KN2600. They did sound thin.
Personally, the quality of the voices is what is most important in a keyboard for me. Playing/practicing with lousy voices will drive you to stop playing. I can live with smaller keys and poor key feel, but poor voices are unacceptable. I was surprised that the piano was not very good on the mp3 demo as well. I thought Technics had good pianos.
Starkeeper

#208274 - 12/18/03 10:19 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I played with KN2600 about 30 minutes or so. I thought my Yamaha PSR2000 is WAY ahead of KN2600 in terms of features, sounds and styles and even ease of use for the same price.

I don't understand why anybody would want to pick KN2600. That would be the WORST decision I think.

#208275 - 12/18/03 11:34 AM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
don't forget there's a Technic's forum on Synthzone and there's styles available for download from the Technics KN7 Website http://www.technicskn7000.com/home.asp
for the kn24/2600.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aprilla:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#208276 - 12/18/03 02:12 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
aprilla Offline

Actually I am pleased with the way my purchasing worked out. I'm looking forward to learning/experiencing the KN2600 and would have been disappointed to have bought a PSR2100 on the same day I hear of the new PSR3000! Fate or what??
Only ever having owned Yamahas in the (distant) past it could well happen that the Technics won't suit me, who knows? but at least I'll know it firsthand, and have some fun finding out without having broke the bank

I realise if your keyboard is a 'working tool' a more professional approach is needed, no eeeny-meeny LOL ... but this is for my enjoyment, pleasure and leisure... am I having fun yet? yep!

Thanks for the link Rikki

#208277 - 12/18/03 06:30 PM Re: considering the WK3500... among others
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Aprilla,
I'm only a hobbyist too. I've had about 5 Technics keyboards over the last 10 to 15 years ( plus rolands, korg and a yamaha ) I keep going back to the kn's. It's not that it's because I'm used to kn's ( I've had just as many rolands) they probably just suit me better. To each his own (haahaa)

Anyway sometimes it's fun to try something new & different. The psr 3000 looks like it's still at least 7 to 8 months away so that gives you plenty of time to see how you enjoy the kn. Fate sometimes works out for the best.

There's a couple of other sites that may be of interest to you. The functions on the kn24/26 are very similar to the kn7.

They're Yahoo Groups. The KN7000 User Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kn7000/

and I started a bit of a styles group a couple of weeks ago. Two of the ladies in the group have a new kn2400 and a kn2600
( hobbyists too from what I gather)
There could actually be more members with kn24/2600's . Just not sure. The guys in the group seem a bit shy about doing posts
(haahaa) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kn7000styles/

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aprilla:
[B]Actually I am pleased with the way my purchasing worked out.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online