SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#207930 - 01/09/05 01:08 AM Roland A-37 as controler for an "arranger"
to the genesys Offline

I know Frank L. Rosenthal says he uses the Roland A-37 with some softsynths. How about using the A-37 as a controler for an "arranger" module. Does any one have such experience? If so how is it?

Thanks

#207931 - 01/09/05 03:09 AM Re: Roland A-37 as controler for an "arranger"
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Standby!!
At this moment I am installing a Roland A- 37 controller keyboard (at home) which I propose using with my KN7000 and PSR3000.
Previously I have utilised a Motif ES7 to drive the Technics KN. Worked well, transferring chord recognition and contolling the split arranger keyboard. Though the ES7 is some sophisticated keyboard. I'll see how I go with the A-37. This board has two MIDI outputs so I intend to contol the two at one time. The prime purpose though was to give myself 76 keys for piano voices.
It will be a while before I'm up and running - 3 keyboards plus Behringer Truth monitors and TC-Helicon Voiceworks in a small home study is going to involve a little structural alteration. Not started well!! I want to arrange it one way, but my wife has different ideas.
Keith

#207932 - 01/09/05 05:05 AM Re: Roland A-37 as controler for an "arranger"
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

to the genesys, to take a look at my arranger system you could do a search of flr2003 or flr2004. You should beable to find the details of my system - both hardware and software. I use the A-37 to do the basic switching for software arrangers, e.g., Live - Styler. I program the lowest octave to operate the fills, variations, intros and so on. For those things that you need in addition you could program the PC Keyboard. For me it works - I have done this for a number of years and have no trouble using it for live performances.

Keep in mind that my system is a high end version of a software based system. If will sound much better than any hardware based module or keyboard. The system is fully featured including a vocalizer/harmonizer.

There are other controller keyboards that may be better, e.g., Kurzweil, Oberheim, etc.

I hope this helps.

#207933 - 01/10/05 08:28 AM Re: Roland A-37 as controler for an "arranger"
to the genesys Offline

Hi Frank L. Rosenthal thanks for your response. What an impressive set-up. I know that that is the way I eventually want to go. But for now I think I will have to build one thing at a time.

Hi Keith thanks for also responding. I hope that set-up works for you. Can not wait for your review and how it differs from using the Motif 7.

TTG

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 01-10-2005).]

#207934 - 01/10/05 02:33 PM Re: Roland A-37 as controler for an "arranger"
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Good Luck Keith,
hope you win, our partners never seem to fully understand that for things to work properly, they have to be set up a special way.

Hubby never fully appreciated me having 2 keyboards and the piano in the main living room ( haa haa ) couldn't really blame him, fortunately you at least have a study.

Thanks to Frank, it's down to a laptop, software & digital piano, no more hassles from hubby (haa haa ).

You will really appreciate the 76 notes especially if you play in full pianist mode ( instead of split mode ) when using piano voice as your main melody instrument.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithB:
I want to arrange it one way, but my wife has different ideas.
Keith

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online