SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207733 - 03/28/05 11:55 PM Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have a PSR 8000 I'd like to sell. It is in great working condition besides the fact that one of the keys would sometimes be inaccurate in its touch sensitivity. I paid a dealer 125 dollars to replace the strip and the problem was fixed.

However it is now two months later and I am in a different city and have just turned on the machine for the first time since checking that the key was fixed. It seems that the guy forgot to reconnect my microphone input. It won't be possible for me to bring it back to him and besides I'm outside of my 30 day warranty.

Should I attempt to open the keyboard myself and reconnect it? I don't want to spend another 125 dollars - I won't make a penny on it if I do! And is there somewhere I can get a technical description on how to take this apart?

Thanks everyone

#207734 - 03/29/05 03:24 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Shouldn't be a problem. I don't have an 8000 but I've had my 630 and 2000's apart before now and there aren't any horrors.

The base of the keyboard should separate from the top. All the screws you need to undo are marked with an arrow. Make sure you have a good cross-head (not Pozidrive) screwdriver of exactly the right profile otherwise you may round off the tighter screws trying to get them out - not that they should be tight after sonmeone else has take it apart before you. Don't use a power tool! Some screws may be different lengths; to remember which each goes where I get a piece of card, draw the back of the keyboard on it, mark the screw locations and then screw the screws through the cardboard at the specific location as I remove them.

After that, just take care. If something deos want to move it usually means you've missed a screw or theres a wire still connected. All interconnection wires ought to be on edge connectors or similar; there may well be locking mechanisms on the connectors so examine closely and carefully iuse a small flat screwdriver to unlock. Remove the connector by pulling on the connector, don't pull on the wires!

When re-assembling DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SCREWS! They are only into plastic; you don't want the thing to move or rattle but tightening past this point is unneccesary.

#207735 - 03/29/05 06:00 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto--This isn't neurosurgery. One little trick that helps with the screws is after loosening them, leave them in place and put a piece of masking tape over the hole. The screws will then be exactly where they must be, no lost screws and no guessing which hole they go into. The keyboard opens like a book from front to rear, and if if fails to open, this usually means you missed one of the screws. There are lots of them!

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#207736 - 03/29/05 06:05 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Never hurts to give the guy who repaired your keyboard a little grief for his sloppy work.

#207737 - 03/29/05 07:42 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
MacAllcock Offline

I like the masking tape solution!

#207738 - 03/29/05 08:07 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
chony Offline

Wow you guys make it sound easy. I'll let you know when I get to it!

#207739 - 03/29/05 01:25 PM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Follow exactly what MacAllock and Gary said. I couldn't say it better.
Another tip: When you are ready to re-asemble, place the screws in the holes and make an anti clockwise movement applying a light pressure on the screw (using the screwdriver). When the screw is in the "perfect place" you will sense a "click" and it will lower itself just a little. This will ensure that in the most part you will be using the original grooves, thus avoiding stressing the plastic any more.
Theodore

#207740 - 04/01/05 12:24 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
MacAllcock Offline

Theodore is spot on. I forgot to mention this; sorry.

#207741 - 04/02/05 08:13 AM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Had the same problem with my 9000, guessing the 8000 is very similar, there is a couple of wiring harness's that gets unplugged when you do key work on these boards, One (mic) has a tendency to get itself under the works and looks like its been plugged in when its not. With the board upside down on a work bench(table) setting on a layer of foam rubber (a must) keys next to you, remove all screws necessary and take off the back. look a little to the right of center on the inside closest to you, for wires that are plugged in, should be two sets, these wires will sort of memorise where they lay. one is probably unplugged seems like its the (right) one. if its not apparent give a little tug on them and see if one is hiding. Plug it in and put it back together like all the other guys suggested. They got it right, only thing I could add is if you have to disassemble don't unplug anything that can be layed back and held out of the way with masking tape. For unplugging wiring harness'es I use a awl or icepick (I also use magnifier glasses to do this) The most I repeat the most important thing is to not let any screws fall into the works, they can get lost and hung up in there and can take hours to retrieve and must be accounted for or can short out your board if left in. I take screws out and lay them in piles in the reverse that they go back in, Garys masking tape is a great tip,for the case, make sure the tapes on tight, cause you probably need to turn the back over and give it a good cleaning and blow out with air if you have a compressor.
You can use a battery powered phillips screwdrive to remove the screws, but put them back by hand preferrably using a magnetic tip #2 phillips.......Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#207742 - 04/02/05 05:07 PM Re: Should I attempt taking apart my keyboard?
chony Offline

Thanks everyone again.

I'm not going to have a chance to do this for another week - but with all this advice I know I'm not going to have a problem.

I'm actually going to Columbia (South America) to play at a wedding there - I think I'm going to start a new thread about how to get travel insurance because I can't find anything on the internet that will cover my equipment.

Thanks,, Chony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online