SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#207684 - 09/23/05 05:02 AM http://www.improve-roland-g70.com
RolandIceland Offline

Loc: Reykjavik, Iceland

#207685 - 09/23/05 06:12 AM Re: http://www.improve-roland-g70.com
nielshs Offline

Why don`t you buy another keyboard with a chord seq.

#207686 - 09/23/05 09:42 AM Re: http://www.improve-roland-g70.com
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I have never used the chord sequencer so for me not having it in the G70 is a non-issue. I would suggest other changes, though:

1. Add buttons for individual selections, so that one does not have to use the touch screen while playing live. Users (like me) have kept asking Roland to stop relying on the touch screen usage for years, but while the VA7/76 was half-bad in this respect, the G70 has a complete reliance on the touchscreen for individual selections. And if you are adding buttons, please place the selection boxes along the bottom of the screen, and the buttons right below, like in the Fantom.

2. Have 1st page of each sound and style group be user-defined with the user favorites. This way one could ensure that the sounds or styles within each group which he/she is most likely to use would appear at the top of the list, on the first page, in the order that makes sense to each user. Of the 1600 sounds in my G1000, I typically use no more than a dozen or two for solo parts(call me unimaginative), and it is impractical to wade through the pages upon pages to locate the sounds I need over and over again. The current solution is to use peformance memories to quickly access my usual voices, but this does not work very well, as the perf. memories save a bunch of other information along with the tone selections, such as master tune. If you have to adjust master tune to match that of another instrument (I had to tune with a high trumpet this last weekend), you can not use performance memories, because this will alter your instrument tuning.

3. Add digital audio out connection using USB 2.0 (or firewire), so that each channel of audio could be sent to a PC-based recorder individually.

4. Add elastic audio which could be incorporated into styles (like Variphrase playback).

5. Add support for external sample loading in industry-standard formats (AKAI, .Wav, .NI/.GIG, etc.). Would need a hard disk for that - this is lower on my priorities list, though.

6. Since the primary target audience for this type of the instrument is a one-man-band entertainer, there is a need for personal monitoring - need speakers. Others (e.g. Korg PA80) have managed to include a decent on-board PA into a light-weight instrument. Roland can do it too.

Obviously, a number of items above require a hardware change, so they are not likely to be modified in the G70 (perhaps G80?). However, item 2 above could be easily added in with a software update.

Nonetheless, with the high-end keyboard prices pushing $4000, they are getting closer to the open system instruments (Mediastation, etc.), which hopefully will provide some competition to Rolands, Yamahas, and the like. I think this will force companies to pay more attention to the features the users want, in order to remain compeititve.

I just hope that Ketron or GEM does not buy out Liontracs, just to stop them from developing their products.

Regards

#207687 - 09/23/05 02:38 PM Re: http://www.improve-roland-g70.com
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Why don`t you buy another keyboard with a chord seq.

Well,maybe the cost??
I am totally with RolandIceland on this. I have built many songs with this feature using yammie boards, and it is a natural extension of an arranger's possibility.
Arranger.....it's in the name.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online