SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139536 - 09/22/05 02:08 PM OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As some of you may remember, I recently re-evaluated cell phone carriers because my contract (with T-Mobile) had thankfully expired. Though T-Mobile offered the cheapest rate, coverage in my immediate area had gotten dismal, so needed to change to another major carrier (Cingular, Sprint, or Verizon). Both service pricing (monthly) & signal strength/coverage results showed Cingular & Verizon signal (in my area) to be nearly identical, with Cingular edging out slightly. In addition, other family members & friends whom I speak with most around the Country have Cingular, so I get unlimited free Mobile to Mobile 24/7 with them. Another perk I like about Cingular is monthly roll-over minutes. The downside I keep hearing about Cingular is bad customer service. Interestingly enough, my telephone experience with them (so far) has been very very good. Courteous, cordial, and helpful.

I ended up purchasing a Motorola Razr phone (black) for $99 with a 2 year Cingular contract at Best Buy. I really love its sleek look, small size, and powerful features. Having loaded the phone with the latest OS firmware, it not only only allows me to take pics, but record video clips well. Voice activation allows me to call without dialing, but just saying the person's name, and when I make/receive a call, the callers pic is displayed as well. I even have the latest slick pics of "TYROS2" appearing as my phone's background screen WALLPAPER! I'm in heaven.

Ok, curious now to hear which cell phone(s) others here own and/or recommend. Your favorite?

Scott

#139537 - 09/22/05 02:26 PM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Hi Scott. I recently entered the world of small machines that combine a Pocket PC (it has a very compact version of windows OS) with a mobile phone. For some time I questioned myself about the real use I would give to such a machine, but now that I have it, I'm finding this little thing really useful for my personal and professional use. The brand is Qtek and the model is S110: http://www.qtek.com.pt/index.php?&lang=en . There's a 1.3 Mpixel camera built in and many other great features.

I also purchased a tiny WiFi card with some storage space in it, and I easily have access to my email everywhere. And a rather inexpensive bluetooth GPS with maps of several european countries. Very useful in my last trip to Spain.

-- José.

#139538 - 09/22/05 03:36 PM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
Scottyee Offline

Hi José, cool powerful phone you got. I seriously considered a simlar Windows OS smartphone to yours, the Audiovox SMT 5600 , but decided to go with a 'flip style' phone this time, as my previous candybar style phone (Nokia 6610) kept accidently dialing numbers (while stored in my pocket) whenever I (often) forgot to lock the keypad. I've found that flip style phone's have significantly larger keypad buttons too, as there's more surface area real estate to accomodate this. I'm finding the Motorola razr's ultra thin size to be the answer to a ultra small phone that can easily slip into even a small tight front pocket.

Ok, curious to hear what cell phone type ('Flip' or 'Candy Bar') is the preferred favorite of others here.

Scott

#139539 - 09/22/05 04:01 PM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mine is in a neat bag, all black. It is a big, long antenna. It weighs nearly five pounds.
Oh wait, that was 15 years ago.
DonM

#139540 - 09/22/05 05:06 PM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a LG VX8000 and also Verizon is my wireless company.

#139541 - 09/23/05 06:22 AM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
Dnj Offline

NEXTEL i530....Toughest phone in the Business/+ Walkie Talkie...Construction grade.

Who needs all that fancy stuff?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-23-2005).]

#139542 - 09/23/05 09:29 AM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
You should have driven down to San Diego Scott ! They had promotions going on offering free Razr phone (with contract) at most local cell phone dealers...

Anyway, I'm currently using the D450 from Samsung (slider phone) and I'm loving it.

But I'm recommending the new D500 Samsung that has integrated blue tooth & mp3

Claude

#139543 - 09/23/05 11:14 AM Re: OT: What Cell Phone Make/Model do you own/recommend?
Scottyee Offline

Hi Claude. Yep, I had actually had considered a similar (same?) deal offered locally & online as well. Don't know the details about the FREE Razr offers in your area, but online, and in local stores my area, require you to first pay $199 (or more) for the Razr upfront, and then have to wait "6 months" before eventually(?) receiving REBATE checks totaling that amount = free. I've read a number of reviewers say they had a lot of trouble getting the local/online cell phone dealer to finally send them the REBATE coupons to fill out. Apparently dealers don't send out the Rebate coupon forms to their customers until after 4 months of their contract has elasped, as early service cancellation voids the rebate. I decided to avoid that hassle, and pay $99 upfront for the Razr. Definitely worth it to me.

Ok, here are a couple of pics I took of my new Motorola Razr V3 phone. Checkout the Wallpaper background :

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-23-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online