SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#207335 - 12/28/02 04:40 PM Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hi All,
You may have some interest in this device for your music portability. This little thing I got for Christmas is 9.15 x 2.4 x 1.4cm and weighs 17.5 g. Mine is 256 MB although they come in 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, and 1GB. They are USB 1.1 spec. No drivers required for windows ME, 2000, and xp. Drivers for 98, 98se, Mac OS 8.6 or higher has drivers on the little 2 inch cd that comes with it. I am told it will work with Linux also. It has a necktie thingie like you have for your sax, so you can hang it from your neck and it looks like a tie. Comes in 6 different colors. Mine is a see through clear. KQQL!!
I put some music on it and then played them in midi, RA, and MP3 and it brought up the appropriate players.
Think about it. I can put my music or Technic files or Yamaha files or any files on it. I am at your house and you turn on your computer and I snap it off my neck and plug it into your computer USB port and play my new song. I think it is awesome
The cost for the 256 MB was 130.00 at Fry's Electronics store
Check it out at www.cigarusb.com
Bebop

#207336 - 12/28/02 04:55 PM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
trtjazz Offline

Bebop,
Cool toy.
Terry

#207337 - 12/29/02 06:09 AM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Have you tried hooking that drive to the USB port of a keyboard? Does the keyboard recognize it as a drive?

AL G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#207338 - 12/29/02 10:00 AM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
BEBOP Offline

HI AL,
I don't have a keyboard with a USB port. The PSR9000 is SCSI. The KN6000 does not have usb either
It sure works great on the computer. I put a bunch of songs in MIDI, and RA and a mp3 yesterday and then took it to a neighbor and plugged it into their usb port and played the songs. Awesome, I say Awesome!
Bebop

#207339 - 12/29/02 06:59 PM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
kbrkr Offline

OK, you talked me into getting one. Probably the coolest gadget to hit the shelves in 2002.

Anyone try this on a Tyros?

Regards,
Al G

#207340 - 12/29/02 10:27 PM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bebop and all,

I too received a cool USB miniature hard drive (similar to Bebop's) for Christmas. Mine is a Trek brand: Thumb Drive Smart:
http://www.trekstorusa.com/thumbdrive_smart.htm

I can simply insert this tiny thumb sized device into the USB port on my Windows XP computer and PRESTO, it recognizes it as an external HD. I'm finding it a quick & easy way to easily transfer data between my computers. The device is so tiny that wearing it around your neck is probably the safest way to insure it doesn't get lost.

Unfortunately, the 'A Type' plug equiped on these USB miniature hard drive devices can't be plugged directly into the Yamaha Tyros' 'B-Type' USB port. I'm wondering if there is some sort of an 'B to A type' USB port converter adapter' available for sale. Does Anyone here know? Still, I kind of DOUBT that the Tyros would be able to recognize the data on a mini USB hard drive device even if it could be plugged directly into the Tyros' USB port, as I suspect: 1) the Tyros is really ONLY designed to recognize external data from its own onboard floppy & hard drive, and because 2) these mini USB hard drive devices work only on Windows or Mac OS computers. The Yamaha Tyros' OS (operating system) is not Windows or Mac.

Scott

#207341 - 12/30/02 05:32 AM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
kbrkr Offline

I sort of figured the Tyros couldn't read the Thumb Drive.

I purchased a USB extension cable a while back and this would probably allow you to connect it to the Tyros.

It's too bad Yamaha didn't license some sort of mainstream O/S like XP for the Tyros. It would be great to be able to run a soft synth or other plug-in technology internal on the tyros. I suppose if they did, the Tyros would have cost $3,500.00 instead of $2,500.

Al G

#207342 - 12/30/02 08:21 AM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Check this one out guys. I got it resently. 20gb USB HD. and an MP3 recorder as well, very impressive! http://www.mambox.com/p350.htm

Best Price: http://www.pcfactoryoutlet.com/ProductList.ASP

[This message has been edited by Mario (edited 12-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mario (edited 12-30-2002).]

#207343 - 01/10/03 09:52 PM Re: Cig@r Pro USB Miniature Hard-drive
BEBOP Offline

Today Fry's Electronics, San Jose, CA lowered the price of the cigar 256 Mg hard drive from 130.00 to 90.00, so I boogied on over there with my receipt and they refunded me 40.00 plus tax. They will be selling them until TUesday on their add and they have more in stock. Frys is also on line. They do have them from 16 Mg. up at different prices
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online