SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20670 - 01/16/00 01:43 AM satellite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering how much a moog satellite is worth? I have one that someone wants to sell it to me for $100. I've never owned a synth or raelly know anything about them. thanks for your reply

#20671 - 01/16/00 03:37 PM Re: satellite
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
buy it! and if you are close to the Netherlands I 'll pay you +$ 50,-- on top.
Fred

#20672 - 01/16/00 07:11 PM Re: satellite
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
The price isn't too bad but the Satelite is not very remarkable. I realize you are new to synths so if you hoping to learn -anything- about synthesis, my opinion is to buy something else.

#20673 - 01/16/00 08:49 PM Re: satellite
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Question, I never heard of the Satelitte, what differences were there from other Moog products?

#20674 - 01/17/00 12:50 AM Re: satellite
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
The Satelite is a single VCO mono-synth with several presets; strings, reeds, brass, and one labeled luna(?) there may be a couple more that I don't remember. It has quite a few organ-type tabs on the front, beneath the three octave keybaord, similar to an older Roland SH. The VCO lacks any real (or typical) power and the filter is a joke when compared to any other Moog. I saw one for sale recently at a local pawn shop $250 US but it was pretty beat up.

#20675 - 01/17/00 02:43 AM Re: satellite
zzzzz Offline

Loc: Milky Way
That one patch is actually called Lunar. It it the one patch that makes this synth worth getting (IMO). It's kind of a resonant filter sound with a "wow" effect that is really neat. I haven't been able to duplicate that sound on any of the other Moogs that I've laid my hands on.

There's another preset that is vaguely similiar to the sound that Greg Hawkes plays in the Cars song "Just What I Needed".. The hollow-portamento sound at the end of the verses, if I recall correctly.

The tabs in the front of the synth are for selecting the various presets, adding portamento, etc..

There sliders on the control panel give you very basic control over envelope (shape of the sound through time) ,filter (brightness), and other things.

It'd be a fun (but strange) introduction to synths, especially if you can talk him down to $75.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online