SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#206515 - 12/27/06 07:54 AM OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi everyone, I hope Christmas has brought happiness and joy for all of you and your families.

I have a question to make, I hope I find some answers here...

Currently I have an arranger keyboard (61 Keys, from here on reffered to as "Casio"), and a PC. Those 2 devices are sitting on a special desk (originally made for use with a PC, nothing musically oriented), with the Casio sitting on top of the desk, the PC keyboard on a small, plastic, sliding drawer under the desk, and the PC monitor sitting on a "bench" which is to the back of the desk and stands about 20-30 cm higher than the desk's surface, (less than a foot).

The width of this desk is just enough to accomodate the Casio, so the PC mouse actually sits on top of the Casio itself, (the Casio has a big enough, no buttons area with the names of the instruments written on it etc etc, and a normal mousepad can fit almost exactly). The speakers are positioned either side of the PC monitor.

This arrangement has everything very close, it saved space, etc etc, BUT, it doesn't provide a good environment for working with the PC, other than browsing web pages, or clicking on various softsynth options (since I can't touch type, I had to actually tilt my head (not just the eyes) forward to see what am I writing on the PC keyboard, and then backwards just to read the PC screen. Even a simple 3-4 line post on Synthzone is a chore. I am writing from work!!!!

Now to the problem:
After my marriage, I have moved to my wife's house and all my stuff are gradually coming there with me.

Since there are 2 persons now that will use only one PC, and my wife is not interested in music, I have to find a way to accommodate both my needs and hers, and space, money, especially space, are at a premium.

I thought of taking a garden variety, wide desk and adding a sliding drawer underneath it, so the Casio (or whatever comes after that) will actually hide itself under the desk when not needed. This way, the PC keyboard will be located on the desk, where it should be.... but, then I have to find a desk high enough so my feet (actually my knees) would be comfortable under the Casio ...but then the desk surface will be very high, even for me, (let's not talk about the wife who is only about 5 feet tall).

A friend at work, proposed a solution where I have to use a "deeper" (larger than normal) desk, (let's say 3 feet deep) and having a drawer about half or two thirds as deep, but with full length (3 feet) rails so it will go very close to the wall when retracted and give space for the knees and be able to come out and give full access to the keyboard when extended. Not sure if I can describe this solution accurately enough in English, please ask and I'll do my best.

There is probably not anough space for the Casio to stand alone, on a rack, and additionally, since I use softsynths I want to be able to look at the PC monitor almost always, and be able to make adjustments. So the PC on one side and keyboard on the other, are probably out of the question.

Is there anyone here who has faced a similar problem? What did you do?
Is there anyone here with a suggestion or an idea or two?
Do you happen to have any photos of similar setups and be kind enough to share? If it is not possible for you to post here, please mail at TRIDENT1971 AT GMAIL DOT COM

Again happy Christmas everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read all my post,
Theodore

#206516 - 12/27/06 09:13 AM Re: OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
YOu might want to look at the studio furniture in Musicians Friend or similar outlet. They have furniture geared specifically for music and computer applications.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#206517 - 12/27/06 09:40 AM Re: OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Trident
If you fancy a bit of Do It Yourself

1. Secure the Casio to a board
2. Attach 2 arms with hinges to the back of the computer desk
3. Secure the board to the arms so that the rear of the board is clear of the front of the computer desk.
4. Secure the cables to the arms

You will now have the Casio in front of you with the keyboard and mouse behind.
When you have finished playing, just fold up the board and arms above the monitor, and secure in that position.
The computer can then be used as normal.
Hope this helps

Bill

#206518 - 12/27/06 11:14 PM Re: OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
trident Offline

Thanks Jeff,
the desk that I have is already like some of their offerings, it is like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/product/images/page=1/base_pid=546550

Abacus,
that seems a good idea, I will see about it...yesterday I saw a desk (Jester) at www.IKEA.co.uk that seems promising, it has adjustable height. And if i remember well, a friend of mine has it.

Thanks guys,
Theodore

#206519 - 12/27/06 11:24 PM Re: OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
http://www.omnirax.com have some interesting workstation desk solutions.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 12-28-2006).]

#206520 - 01/02/07 11:35 PM Re: OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
trident Offline

Thanks a lot Nigel, they seem to have fine furniture, lots of ideas for DIY.
Theodore

#206521 - 01/03/07 12:48 AM Re: OT: Need opinions / advice on how to arrange a PC an a keyboard on a limited space...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I would make a small investment in an additional computer, you would now have his and hers computers. The purchase can be a low end or refurbished laptop computer.

Mount the laptop somewhere near your keyboard so that it is convent for you to see it. I have my keyboard and laptop all on one “X” type of keyboard stand. No additional furniture needed.

John C

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online