SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2064 - 03/08/03 08:12 AM Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi I would like to recommend "Analog Days" by Trevor Pinch and Frank Trocco. This is a very good book on the invention and impact of the Moog Synthesizer, as well as the histroy of analog synthesizers. I just started reading it and I must say this a very well written book full of good inforamtion on how R.A. Moog Co. got started and what impact the synthesizer has had on modern music.

This is a must have for all fans Moog Synthesizers and analog synths as well. Just can't put it down. Well I had too in order to write this thread.

Order you copy from Amazon.com or go to your nearest Borders Book store to resever your copy.

#2065 - 03/08/03 09:07 AM Re: Book Recommendation
tekminus Offline

I'll check it out, but anything you want to know about Moog is available freely on the net. Alot of history and images also.

-tek

#2066 - 03/08/03 01:04 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well that is true tek, but this covers a lot more then what I have found on the net. It digs deeper into the subject matter with more detail then what I have come accross on line.

#2067 - 03/08/03 07:28 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
You're turning into something of a one-man-Moog-fanclub these days Paul!

#2068 - 03/09/03 05:59 AM Re: Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

What can I say, I love Moog. Espically since I bought a minimoog, which BTW I am still waiting for.

#2069 - 03/10/03 09:18 AM Re: Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yea BTW! I am almost finsihed this book, I am not one too seet down and read a book unless it is something I am interested in, like electronic music. The last book that I read like this and could not put down, was Arthur C. Clarks 3001: Odyssey Three. Funny how these things turn out. Oh and yes this book covers other areas of electronic muisc and synthesizers, not just on Moog itself. Although Moog is the main subject of this book.

#2070 - 03/10/03 11:18 AM Re: Book Recommendation
tekminus Offline

There's a third Odyssey?! I always felt like the second one was a bit too much. Man, he can't be desperate for money, he invented the com sats ffs. Are you sure Arthur C Clark wrote it? Maybe it's a publishing scam and this one was written by Artur B Clark?

Ugh..

#2071 - 03/10/03 12:30 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

No it's no scam, I have a copy of the book. Arthur C. Clarke 3001 The final Odyssey Copyright 1997 by the Author himself. And it is the fourth book in the series, the thrid was 2061 odyssey three. It's a hard back book that I bought when it came out, and is been in paperback for sometime as well. There is even Praise for the book from Buzz Aldrin and Roger Ebert.

Oh yea! I'm just about finished with Analog Days, this is a really good book.

#2072 - 03/11/03 09:28 AM Re: Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I finished the book analog days, and I must admit it was very well written. I learned not only about the moog syntheszier and it's impact on electronic music, but on othere syntesizers as well like from Buchla, ARP and EMS. As well as deleving into the 60's countercaulture and the avant garde.

I now have a more clearer deffiniton of what all these people were trying to accopmlish in making synthesziers a reality, as well as a viable musical instrument and a useful tool.

#2073 - 03/19/03 02:07 AM Re: Book Recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur C Clark does Meth with Gene Roddenberry < is a false statement. I just felt like saying that.
Sounds like a cool book Paul. Is there a .pdf for a cheapskate like me? (I am kidding) I might just pick up a copy for the plane ride.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online