SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#206232 - 10/22/07 01:32 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
depends on what you are after..If I was going to use the CM30 with the PA800..I would keep them on the floor[better added bass response]..

If you need the CM30 for a vocal monitor only..then in your face..but over kill with a full range speaker like the Roland[ a waste with just vocals.]..
One CM30 high and the other low would give you a full range, but would not be a great stereo image..

I still prefer the speakers on the floor...tilted if you need the coverage..

#206233 - 10/22/07 01:34 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
[b] Yep, you got to have them up at least to ear level.

I use a pair modified keyboard stands(X type).

Ian

common Ian post some pics of these contraptions for us!

how do you do that? how modified?
would you get better bass if one was
at ear level and the other on floor?
Mo

[This message has been edited by keysvocalssax (edited 10-22-2007).][/B]

#206234 - 10/22/07 02:03 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Mo,

The stands are even older than my speakers...they are single braced X-type, and I modified them to open just enough to set the speaker on...they have little rubber thingys to prevent slippage.

I sit when I play, and each speaker is at ear height...just worked out that way, and I have them on either side and just behind me, turned in towards me at a slight angle...I don't use a mic so the positioning is no problem.

The MS60s are used in a lot of theatres for in house stage monitors, and they have a great bass, even off the floor...Yamaha's AST(Active Servo Technology) does a fine job...the bass is tight but still full enough for my needs.

Since I mostly do background and dinner music, I don't want volume as much as I want quality.

The Roland's seem cool, but I've already got a compact system...if I need more, I rent something bigger.

Ian

PS...sorry guys, I don't have a camera.

#206235 - 10/22/07 02:08 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

enjoy

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-22-2007).]

#206236 - 10/22/07 02:16 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
being a dinosaur who remembers the advent of "hi-fi" in the early 50's and then "stereo" a few years later, the idea of stereo was that it was superior to mono in that all the instruments in a group or orchestra came out of the same spot in mono hi-fi, but in stereo you could hear separation as in live performance. the other advantage was a perceived "depth" that gave more of a real room acoustic effect. BUT... What is the supposed advantage of stereo when you ARE actually performing live, and the audience is actually hearing the depth of the room acoustic? isn't it just an "effect" some happen to like, like reverb, etc..rather than a real improvement of the sound? after all, Bose is not expecting us to buy 2 L1's for stereo effect..they are marketing their mono system as sufficient to be best available choice. why are so many concerned with their keyboard sound having a stereo effect? And please understand, I'm not advocating one way or another, just have never worked with a sytem in stereo except onboard speakers, and just in theory, don't really get it.

------------------
Miami Mo

#206237 - 10/22/07 02:53 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Miami Mo
Its just like the first stereo, a live group (Lets just say a Jazz group) are spread out across the stage, not on top of each other, and stereo keyboards try to give the same effect, (Your backing group and playing is spread out between the 2 speakers) if however you are just playing piano, then as it only comes from one position, mono is fine.
In truth, if you are playing for dancing, then probably no one would notice whether it was mono or stereo, (The punters are 2 busy dancing) but in a concert situation the difference stands out.
In the final analysis, it will be the decision of the player as to what best suits the venue. (If it helps, if you look at most electronic keyboard/organ concerts, they always use stereo)
Interesting observation

Bill

#206238 - 10/22/07 02:56 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
ianmcnll Offline

Mo,

It's not like you have to pan the instruments in extreme amounts...just a little works wonders at broadening the sound whilst still keeping it contained.

There is still a perceived depth, and two speakers naturally have a bigger sound.

For home recording I use different settings for panning...it's easy to temporarily modify the style.

I spent a lot of time on my settings and styles for the type of music and venues I play...worked steady at one restaurant for over 11 years...so it seems to be paying off.

Ian

#206239 - 10/22/07 03:08 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks Bill and Ian, i think i understand it better now (but still don't understand why a solo gtr folk-singer would buy 2 Bose L1's for his little coffeehouse gigs, as the guy who sold me his Pavey setup did..do you?) btw Ian, have you never had a problem with the speaker on top of the x-stand in terms if it being easy to knock over? I would think 2 solid-base mic stands would offer more stability.

------------------
Miami Mo

#206240 - 10/22/07 04:06 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
ianmcnll Offline

Mo,

There are mic stand mounts available for the MS60s, but my stands are pretty stable...also I set up Wild Bill Hickok style, with my back to the wall and the speakers/stands behind me and flush against it.

With careful running of my cables, there was little chance of tripping over them, and, in my restaurant venues, there wasn't as much movement around me as there would be at a dance gig.

I have a set of folding monitor stands in case I cant get close enough to a wall...not at ear level, but you can tilt them for coverage as Fran suggested, but so far I've never needed them.

Maybe I'm getting lazier(not maybe...I am), or hopefully a tiny bit smarter, but not one piece of my gear weighs over 25 lbs and it all packs in my '94 Accord..and... my sound is still very good.

Ian

#206241 - 10/22/07 04:58 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
keysvocalssax Offline

so now i have to add ms60s to my shopping list? a/b it to the Roland cm-30? hard work! hey that's a great song title idea, better get on it..oh s,,,t it's been done..

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online