SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#205760 - 10/30/04 02:47 PM new user
chomps Offline

Loc: New York State, US
Hi,

I am an acoustic piano player. (NOT my profession ) I have been looking for a digital piano for awhile. I also have become interested in keyboards with additional features along the way.

Here's my dilemma. Yesterday I stopped in a music store, looking at digital pianos, keyboards etc. I walked out with a Roland FAntom X7 (I know, not an arranger). Mostly, I left with it because it was the only one left on special, I loved what I heard someone else doing with it, and I loved the 'piano' sound quality.

I played with it for hours last night, posted on some forums today. I did not know anything of arranger keyboards till today. I like to play live music, add accompaniment, add special effects etc. I understand tracks/sequencing and all that. I like the idea of recording sounds/tracks/etc and making multidimensional music. However, I also really like playing 'realtime' as well, just basically combining rhythms, beats, sounds, and melody, etc to 'create' something.

Based on this little bit of info, what is the opinion of arranger vs keyboard/workstation (ie. G7-/va-76 etc versus X7 that I picked up). What are the advantages of one vs the other. I've looked at specs etc, but they don't answer my questions.

Thanks for any and all help/comments!!

#205761 - 10/30/04 02:53 PM Re: new user
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Welcome, Chomps. We get this kind of question often here. To start you off, let me say that an arranger offers rhythm sytles and chord recognition, which workstations don't have. Others will chime in soon.

#205762 - 10/30/04 03:21 PM Re: new user
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Chomps, if playing solo or seeking solo gigs is on your list, and realtime band accompaniment is what you're looking for, than an arranger keyboard is the way to go.

I have auditioned the Roland Fantom keyboard and VERY IMPRESSED with the sound of the acoustic piano as well. I only wish that Roland incorporated full featured auto-accompaniment arranger features (with pro jazz-chord recognition) on the Fantom. That would be awesome! I think it would be a BIG hit among pro arranger players & I would be one of the first in line to purchase it. Roland, are you listening?

For now though, I'm a very happy Yamaha Tyros player as it best satsifies my arranger keyboard performance needs.

Chomps, welcome to the SZ arranger forum.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#205763 - 10/30/04 03:31 PM Re: new user
chomps Offline

Thanks for the input so far!

Yeah, that's exactly where I am sitting right now. (I think ) What I saw and heard for the X7 was awesome in the store. It wasn't till I got home with it that I realized that there were no "full featured auto-accompaniment arranger features" (thanks for those words Scottyee!)

I really like the piano sound - better than any other keyboard I can afford. And I will also use the keyboard as a personal 'piano'. I just don't know it I want to build accompaniment from scratch.

It would be great if Roland would at least provide downloadable accompaniments to add to/upgrade/update the X7. NOt sure if that's possible.

I've got through tomorrow to make any decisions for an exchange. Not even sure if the arranger series is available where I bought the X7.

#205764 - 10/30/04 08:13 PM Re: new user
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
chomps, you should definitely look at the Tyros and the Korg Pa1X. Both might meet your needs.

IMHO, the Korg has better sounds (with Piano from Piano Assault Steinway samples) and styles, but the Yamaha Tyros is far easier to use, more fun and I can actually take it with me when I play without a removal company to help me! Many people use the Tyros in different situations, so it's really versatile - I use mine in church for traditional hymns using the organ sounds through wonderful unplugged guitar styles through upbeat driving rock.

Have fun, whatever you choose.

------------------
Graham

#205765 - 10/31/04 01:21 AM Re: new user
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by chomps:
Hi,

what is the opinion of arranger vs keyboard/workstation (ie. G7-/va-76 etc versus X7 that I picked up). What are the advantages of one vs the other. I've looked at specs etc, but they don't answer my questions.

Thanks for any and all help/comments!!

In general(again in GENERAL)

arranger advantages
-------------------

real time chord triggering

seperate buttons(patterns/varitions/fill)

larger display

direct-disk play(in most)with no loading time( and lyrics)

style sharing/writing

mic(sub standard in most) input with vocal harmony and efx

easier to create demos /lay down the tracts (since drum machine is built in)

workstaion advantages
---------------------

relatively (in most) better sound/efx board and editing,new G70 accecpts a srx board but the main sound board model is uncertain-most propably less than top of the line module)

ie
-MU vs EX/motif series in yamaha(though 3k,tyros has some longer samples,are still alot less compared to a workstation)
-sc88 alike sound canvas vs jv 1080 to xv 5080 boards in roland(G and VA series have some JV sounds but still not much compared to a wkstation)

(exception-Korg models(same as their current workstations) where you can load progs(patches) from workstation(eg- I3 arranger-x3 wkstation board)to (PA series-triton board)

better seq /sound editing func

some are expendable(ROM cards slots or exp boards )

cheaper in the used market(compared to an arranger)

sampling(most are more advanced than your arranger's)

combination/performance patches(ie-layering)

more expressive realtime SOUND control(sliders/ribbon/breath controllers)

and yes-arpeggiator(can be dual-can create wicked dance grooves)

workstations are getting better in user friendliness dept-and arrangers are also gettin better in sound dept)
eg-16 pads,RPS,sampling with mic input and efx in S and X series fantoms
good VH board,mp3 playback,sampling in PA1x etc

but
bottomline-if you go for sound and studio/live band work go for workstation

and ofcourse if you are into solo giging,want to (or must)create many songs /demos in limited time arranger is the answer.it wouldn't hurt to have both though.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 10-31-2004).]

#205766 - 10/31/04 04:39 AM Re: new user
chomps Offline

Hey thanks for all the input! And Jamman, thanks so much for the rundown. That was VERY VERY helpful!!

#205767 - 10/31/04 06:22 AM Re: new user
acctjm Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
There are also software apps that will run on a pc/laptop that can add the 'live accompaniment' capabilities of an arranger to a workstation. One Man Band (OMB71) is one that I have worked with, and it seems to do a nice job. If you already have a pc/laptop with a MIDI interface to the workstation, this may be an option for you.

What you lose with the software approach is the "all in one; dedicated buttons; easily portable; fast setup" advantages of the arranger boards. These aspects can become more important if you are doing live gigs.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online