SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#205691 - 08/06/01 01:02 AM Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm about to post to my website, my LATEST song (vocals & keyboard) performed on the Technics KN5000. I want to make it available to everyone as a LIVE 'streaming audio' file. LIVE streaming audio is currently supported by the following media players:

Microsoft: Windows Media Player 7.1 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/wm7/playit.asp

Real Networks: Real Player 8
http://www.real.com/player/index.html?

These are also the two MOST POPULAR media players in use (available FREE download for both PC & Mac). Real Player has been the most popular media player but Windows Media has been quickly gaining ground over the last year. My website currently uses Real Player streaming audio, but after making some comparison tests, I found that music encoded on Windows Media Player 7.1 sounds FAR SUPERIOR to Real Player 8 files encoded with the SAME bit rate. Interesting. Anyone else notice this?

Here is my dilemma: I realize that Real Player 8 is still the most popular player out there (though Windows Media 7.1 is catching up FAST). Considering that Windows Media Player audio files sound MUCH BETTER, should I switch to encoding streaming audio files to the Windows Media Player 7.1 format? Windows Media Player 7.1 is available for FREE download and supports both PC & Mac platforms. I'm curious to hear WHICH media player (which supports streaming audio) is the preferred choice of others on this forum? For those of you who currently use Real Player, would you (if you knew the sound quality of Windows Media Player encoded audio files sounded better) download and try Windows Media Player? Please help me make a decision. Thanks in advance for feedback and opinions on this.
- Scott
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-06-2001).]

#205692 - 08/06/01 05:43 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
try posting them both and keep track of how many times each version is downloaded

#205693 - 08/06/01 07:42 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

I had considered your good idea, but because I must pay a 'streaming audio' hosting service a monthly fee for a FIXED limited amount of streaming audio file storage space, I can't really afford the luxury of posting BOTH versions.

#205694 - 08/06/01 07:56 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott...The answer has got to be Microsoft Media Player just for the simple reason that it is already loaded and available for everyone using Windows ME Operating system.

Graham UK

#205695 - 08/06/01 08:14 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I would have to vote for Windows Media Player as well. I have both on my system but as Graham mentioned, Windows Media Player comes with Windows and Real Audio Player is a download. Windows Media Player seems to handle mp3's quite well. I would agree with you Scott that the audio play back of Windows Media Player seems cleaner than Real Audio at the same bit rate. Must have something to due with the codec used. Could just be my ears though.

#205696 - 08/06/01 08:21 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
Another vote here for Windows Media Player. I actually had Real Player and uninstalled it on one of my machines. It's performance was often dubious. I would get a lot of "hicks and burps" using it. So I dumped it and stick with Media Player only.
Tom

#205697 - 08/06/01 10:42 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I understand that in an effort to conspire with the RIAA, Microsoft is severely degrading MP3 playback quality in WMP under Windows XP.

That may be the reason to keep RA format instead.

#205698 - 08/06/01 11:28 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

Currently, Windows Media Player 8 (WMP-8) is ONLY available as part of Windows XP. WMP-8 is NOT available separately. Version 7.01 is the most current Windows Media Player available as a separate download product or upgrade.

Are there any Windows XP users out there who have run WMP-8 and can 'confirm' or 'deny' Alex's understanding that MP3 playback quality has been downgraded in version 8?

#205699 - 08/06/01 11:40 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
To say it simple: I HATE Real Audio.. Full of banners and I find it a B-class program although the name is very well-known.

It is that we have to vote, but then I prefer Windows Media Player. WMP is trying to act like WinAmp(especially with their last version that came out), but it still isn't that good.

WinAmp is also a good option. You can upload a very-low quality (for those people with a low bandwidth connection, someone like me)MP3 onto the server and you can connect to the MP3 file on the server using your WinAmp.

So here are they listed:
1. WinAmp
Very compatible, almost everyone has it, no banners and other junk, ease of use and very compact (on screen and size)

2. Windows Media Player
Wrong screensize, even the small one. 'Stupid' visualizations, they can't beat WinAmp visualization studio which is far more better. I just don't like the interface and the 'trying-to-be' policy.

3. Real
Lots of banners, updates a lot which will cause more datatransfer, very ugly interface, too much junk. Just NO option for me .

Well.. some opinions are hard and maybe someone doesn't agree with some of them, but it's just my detailed vote.

Regards,

Sander
The Netherlands

[This message has been edited by Sander (edited 08-06-2001).]

#205700 - 08/06/01 12:54 PM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I understand the dilema of having to pay for the audio. If you'd have to choose, I would go with the Windows Media Player.
I personaly hate the real player, too much banners and junkmail. Mediaplayer 7 does not only come standard with Windows ME but also with WIndows 2000.

#205701 - 08/06/01 01:10 PM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I made a little research and came to the conclusion that Windows Media Player is going to become the standard for audio reproduction due to its codecs, of superior quality.

#205702 - 08/06/01 01:18 PM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Scott,
The Microsoft Media player ver. 7.1 is the the best I've ever used. It has a small and full version when you change it to the full version it has a library for saving all of the tracks you want to keep! Plus many other
features to numerious to mention.
My opinion,
Nobby
PS. Download it! It's free!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 08-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 08-06-2001).]

#205703 - 08/06/01 11:14 PM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
COMALite J Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA, USA

Ac­tu­al­ly, I pre­fer Ap­ple’s Quick­Time ov­er eith­er Win­dows Me­dia Play­er or Real­Me­dia. The rea­sons are pret­ty tech­nic­al and get in­to the sheer power for mul­ti­me­dia in the var­i­ous plat­forms, and Quick­Time is just by far the most pow­er­ful.

But I re­al­ize that the main point of in­ter­est to this Top­ic is in the qual­i­ty of the au­dio co­decs. In this re­gard, Win­dows Me­dia 7 (and the forth­com­ing 8) are in fact quite good, bet­ter than Real 8 for the most part. But they’re both up against Q-De­sign’s Q-Mu­sic co­dec, which has been in­cluded in va­ri­ous ver­sions in Quick­Time since ver­sion 3 (now, Quick­Time 5 in­cludes Q-Mu­sic 3, the la­test and great­est ver­sion of this co­dec). The ol­der Ver­sion 4.2 of the Win­dows Me­dia En­co­der (re­leased around the same time as Win­dows Me­dia Play­er 6.3/6.4) in­cluded some co­decs that Win­dows Media 7 and 8 have dropped, and I found them the best of all: Vox­Ware’s mu­sic and speech co­decs. I used their mu­sic codec, via Win­dows Me­dia En­co­der 4.2, to pro­duce the .ASF ver­sion of the demo I did for the “Search for the Ul­tim­ate Sax” Top­ic in this For­um last week. Of all the codecs I had tried for en­co­ding a short VL trom­bone sam­ple I had made as a demo of Dig­it­al Ear’s out­stand­ing au­dio-to-MIDI tech­nol­o­gy, only Vox­Ware had a high-qual­ity mon­o­phon­ic co­dec (both the Win­dows and Real co­decs seemed to as­sume that one would only want high qual­ity if one also want­ed ster­eo, and since I was doing a mon­o­phon­ic sample, why should I waste half my band­width on two chan­nels when I only need­ed one?), and only Vox­Ware would let me get to a rea­son­ab­ly low samp­ling rate (as it turns out, about 64k/sec for 16-bit mono) without hav­ing a weird “wind chimes” type dis­tor­tion ar­tif­act­ing show up on the breathy at­tacks of the VL trom­bone sound. I had to go to at least 96k/sec. to get rid of that using any other co­dec, or else could not get rid of it at all, in­clu­ding with my pre­vi­ous fa­vo­rite, Ya­ma­ha’s own Sound­VQ (a li­censed ver­sion of Twin­VQ, the first of these “su­per-co­decs” that are at least twice as good as .MP3 in com­pres­sion at the same qual­i­ty, or qual­i­ty at the same com­pres­sion — Twin­VQ pre-dates Real G2, Win­dows Me­dia 6, Vox­Ware, etc. by sev­er­al years at least!). I later learned that the “wind chimes” ar­tif­act­ing was part­ly caused by too high sound lev­els in my source au­dio — such co­decs need extra “head­room” with which to work their mag­ic ef­fec­tive­ly, so one should not do the usual prac­tice of nor­mal­iz­ing the gain to 100% on audio in­tend­ed to be com­pressed with mod­ern co­decs. Nor­mal­ize to about 90% in­stead. Some­time I will have to com­pare them again us­ing the same source clip but nor­mal­ized to 90% to el­im­in­ate that cause of ar­tif­act­ing, and see which co­dec wins out.

I do like how ev­en Ver­sion 6.4 of Win­dows Me­dia Play­er will au­to­mat­ic­al­ly down­load the co­decs need­ed to play a clip en­co­ded in Win­dows Me­dia 7 or ev­en 8 (so no need to set­tle for an ol­der co­dec to av­oid lock­ing out users with ol­der play­ers, nor do you need to down­load the la­test and great­est play­er just to be sure you can play all the new­est con­tent). Real also has a sim­il­ar ab­il­i­ty now. I like Win­dows Me­dia Play­er 7’s SRS Wow! (a sort of ster­eo-wide) and TruBass (a Bass en­han­cer that fools the ear into think­ing it’s hear­ing bet­ter bass than the speak­ers are phys­ic­al­ly ca­pab­le of re­pro­du­cing [mere­ly up­ping the bass gain, like typ­ic­al Loud­ness or Bass Boost sys­tems do, just re­sults in dis­tor­tion when the bass cap­ac­i­ty of the speak­ers is ex­ceed­ed], using psy­cho­ac­ous­tics) tech­nol­o­gies, which make just about an­y­thing sound bet­ter.

It’s im­por­tant to re­mem­ber here that not all me­dia that comes over the Web is “stream­ing.” That term is only used for me­dia that you can lis­ten to or view as it comes ac­ross, rath­er than hav­ing to wait for some or all of it to down­load first. My .ASF file above is not stream­ing, though it has the “.asf” ex­ten­sion that Mi­cro­soft now re­serves for stream­ing me­dia (non-stream­ing clips get either .WMA for Win­dows Me­dia Au­dio, or .WMV for Win­dows Me­dia Vid­eo). To be stream­ing, the file needs to have a spec­ial struc­ture (es­pec­ial­ly if you want to sup­port mul­tip­le bit­rates in a sin­gle file [this, by the way, is a major weak­ness of Win­dows Me­dia: both Quick­Time and Real­Media al­low this for au­dio, but Win­dows Me­dia can only do it for vid­eo — each Win­dows Me­dia stream­ing file can only have one au­dio track / stream, no mat­ter how many vid­eo tracks / streams it may have]), and be served by spec­ial ser­ver soft­ware run­ning at the host­ing ser­vice (Win­dows Me­dia Ser­ver, Real­Ser­ver, Quick­Time Stream­ing Ser­ver, etc.) that sup­ports real-time In­ter­net pro­to­cols such as MMS: (Mi­cro­soft Mul­ti­me­dia Stream­ing), RTSP: (Real­Time Stream­ing Pro­to­col), UDP, Mul­ti­Cast, etc. The HTTP pro­to­col used by Web sites is suit­ab­le for down­load­ing (as is FTP and other TCP-based pro­to­cols), but not for real-time work. TCP is in­tend­ed more for re­li­ab­il­i­ty than speed, and will re-trans­mit any pack­ets that get gar­bled or lost in tran­sit to guar­an­tee that the data gets to its des­tin­a­tion in­tact. This sort of thing is high­ly de­si­rab­le for Web pa­ges, down­loads, on­line da­ta trans­ac­tion pro­ces­sing, etc., but not for an­y­thing real-time such as games, con­fer­en­cing, or stream­ing me­dia. If a pac­ket gets lost or gar­bled, better to ac­cept the loss and move on (which might show up as a bit of sta­tic or maybe a short break in the au­dio, or some weird “snow” or pix­el­a­tion in the vid­eo) rath­er than put ev­er­y­thing on hold while gen­er­a­ting and/or wait­ing for a re­try (which would mean a sol­id stop in the rec­ep­tion and play­back while the play­er re-buf­fers). UDP does this mov­ing-on in­stead of re­try­ing thing, as do the oth­er, more spe­cial­ized stream­ing pro­to­cols I men­tioned. All this said, down­load­ed au­dio can and usu­al­ly does ac­tu­al­ly sound bet­ter than streami­ng, since you’re not lim­it­ed to the band­width of the user’s con­nec­tion. Per­fect­Play-type de­layed play­back start fea­tures (which all maj­or play­ers now support, in­clu­ding Sound­VQ) goes a long way to­wards al­le­vi­a­ting the pain­ful de­lay one has when hav­ing to down­load all of a huge file be­fore get­ting to ex­per­i­ence any of it.

#205704 - 08/06/01 11:22 PM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

THANKS to everyone for their valuable input here. Based on the responses, I decided to change all the 'streaming audio' song files on my website to Windows Media Player format. I hope you will checkout my songs and in particular, my newest one, "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying". - Scott http://scottyee.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online