SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#205691 - 08/06/01 01:02 AM Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm about to post to my website, my LATEST song (vocals & keyboard) performed on the Technics KN5000. I want to make it available to everyone as a LIVE 'streaming audio' file. LIVE streaming audio is currently supported by the following media players:

Microsoft: Windows Media Player 7.1 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/wm7/playit.asp

Real Networks: Real Player 8
http://www.real.com/player/index.html?

These are also the two MOST POPULAR media players in use (available FREE download for both PC & Mac). Real Player has been the most popular media player but Windows Media has been quickly gaining ground over the last year. My website currently uses Real Player streaming audio, but after making some comparison tests, I found that music encoded on Windows Media Player 7.1 sounds FAR SUPERIOR to Real Player 8 files encoded with the SAME bit rate. Interesting. Anyone else notice this?

Here is my dilemma: I realize that Real Player 8 is still the most popular player out there (though Windows Media 7.1 is catching up FAST). Considering that Windows Media Player audio files sound MUCH BETTER, should I switch to encoding streaming audio files to the Windows Media Player 7.1 format? Windows Media Player 7.1 is available for FREE download and supports both PC & Mac platforms. I'm curious to hear WHICH media player (which supports streaming audio) is the preferred choice of others on this forum? For those of you who currently use Real Player, would you (if you knew the sound quality of Windows Media Player encoded audio files sounded better) download and try Windows Media Player? Please help me make a decision. Thanks in advance for feedback and opinions on this.
- Scott
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-06-2001).]

#205692 - 08/06/01 05:43 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
try posting them both and keep track of how many times each version is downloaded

#205693 - 08/06/01 07:42 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

I had considered your good idea, but because I must pay a 'streaming audio' hosting service a monthly fee for a FIXED limited amount of streaming audio file storage space, I can't really afford the luxury of posting BOTH versions.

#205694 - 08/06/01 07:56 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott...The answer has got to be Microsoft Media Player just for the simple reason that it is already loaded and available for everyone using Windows ME Operating system.

Graham UK

#205695 - 08/06/01 08:14 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I would have to vote for Windows Media Player as well. I have both on my system but as Graham mentioned, Windows Media Player comes with Windows and Real Audio Player is a download. Windows Media Player seems to handle mp3's quite well. I would agree with you Scott that the audio play back of Windows Media Player seems cleaner than Real Audio at the same bit rate. Must have something to due with the codec used. Could just be my ears though.

#205696 - 08/06/01 08:21 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
Another vote here for Windows Media Player. I actually had Real Player and uninstalled it on one of my machines. It's performance was often dubious. I would get a lot of "hicks and burps" using it. So I dumped it and stick with Media Player only.
Tom

#205697 - 08/06/01 10:42 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I understand that in an effort to conspire with the RIAA, Microsoft is severely degrading MP3 playback quality in WMP under Windows XP.

That may be the reason to keep RA format instead.

#205698 - 08/06/01 11:28 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Scottyee Offline

Currently, Windows Media Player 8 (WMP-8) is ONLY available as part of Windows XP. WMP-8 is NOT available separately. Version 7.01 is the most current Windows Media Player available as a separate download product or upgrade.

Are there any Windows XP users out there who have run WMP-8 and can 'confirm' or 'deny' Alex's understanding that MP3 playback quality has been downgraded in version 8?

#205699 - 08/06/01 11:40 AM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
To say it simple: I HATE Real Audio.. Full of banners and I find it a B-class program although the name is very well-known.

It is that we have to vote, but then I prefer Windows Media Player. WMP is trying to act like WinAmp(especially with their last version that came out), but it still isn't that good.

WinAmp is also a good option. You can upload a very-low quality (for those people with a low bandwidth connection, someone like me)MP3 onto the server and you can connect to the MP3 file on the server using your WinAmp.

So here are they listed:
1. WinAmp
Very compatible, almost everyone has it, no banners and other junk, ease of use and very compact (on screen and size)

2. Windows Media Player
Wrong screensize, even the small one. 'Stupid' visualizations, they can't beat WinAmp visualization studio which is far more better. I just don't like the interface and the 'trying-to-be' policy.

3. Real
Lots of banners, updates a lot which will cause more datatransfer, very ugly interface, too much junk. Just NO option for me .

Well.. some opinions are hard and maybe someone doesn't agree with some of them, but it's just my detailed vote.

Regards,

Sander
The Netherlands

[This message has been edited by Sander (edited 08-06-2001).]

#205700 - 08/06/01 12:54 PM Re: Media Players : WHICH is your FAVORITE (for Streaming Audio)?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I understand the dilema of having to pay for the audio. If you'd have to choose, I would go with the Windows Media Player.
I personaly hate the real player, too much banners and junkmail. Mediaplayer 7 does not only come standard with Windows ME but also with WIndows 2000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online