SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#205498 - 01/01/03 09:52 PM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Its a Philly thing....referring to the annual Mummers Day Parade where string bands have extravagant costumes and play things like "Oh Them Golden Slippers", "Alabama Jubilee", "Four Leaf Clover", etc...and everybody struts wildly to the music. Its quite a show...and loads of fun.
Eddie

#205499 - 01/01/03 09:53 PM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Like Eddie said ...
The "Mummers" are a group of street performers that march through Philadelphia every New years day for the last 100 years or so. It began as a strictly men's organization, but today - it's a family deal that features full blown stage shows and elaborate costuming ! The music is mostly played by string bands (banjos & saxs)and is usually lively 2 beat stuff from the roaring 20's.
Some popular Phily Phavorites are:
Golden Slippers
Bill Bailey
Happy Days are here again
4 Leaf Clover
Hail, Hail the gangs all here ....
that kind of happy stuff.
They do a weird little "strut" that looks like a clown dance, but if you're not from Phily .... you just look silly struttin !
It even made it's way out to the "Left" coast .. but it's not the same. Mummers belong in Philly, like the Phanatic and soft pretzles !

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-01-2003).]

#205500 - 01/01/03 10:53 PM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds a little like Mardi Gras.
DonM

#205501 - 01/02/03 06:42 AM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's a LOT like Mardi Gras, but the cold weather makes it less desirable to "earn your beads" .... if you know what I mean !

Crazy music, wild costumes, lavish parade, LOT's of drinking in the streets, party till way into the weeeeeee small hours of the morning ....... it's a blast.

#205502 - 01/02/03 07:01 AM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
Dnj Offline

#205503 - 01/02/03 01:28 PM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
GlennT Online   content

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Now I'm jealous! Seems that since Cleveland is the "Home of Rock 'n Roll", we should have something wild and crazy like that. On the other hand, the whole Greater Cleveland area goes absolute bonkers for St Patrick's Day. I've been in Columbus, Houston, and some parts of Florida where St Pat's is barely recognized... and that's where I'll be in March!

#205504 - 01/02/03 05:28 PM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's where I played on NYE: http://www.pousadas.pt/01pousadas/10montanhas/012bartolomeu/index.html

I was a very calm dinner + short dance party with a small group of people (about 60). Last song before midnight was a portuguese popular song (you don't want to know the name! ). The first song after midnight was a Samba Medley including Cidade Maravilhosa / Brasil / Quando Quando / Mamãe Eu Quero ( Marvelous City / Cuando Cuando / Brazil / ? ), well known by people that celebrate the Carnival in Brazil!

-- José.

#205505 - 01/03/03 06:22 AM Re: Who is playing the most demanding gig on New Year's Eve?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
In another post I mentioned that when we decorate the Christmas tree we play the LP (yep, the LP !!!) of the Salsoul Orchestra Christmas album ... One side has more new year's eve music which includes a 'Mummer's medley' as mentioned above ..... I never put the medley and the Mummers together until now .... thnx ....
t.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online