SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#205142 - 01/10/05 12:33 PM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I'll have to go back and listen again. Converting to MP3 probably isn't affecting it.
What compression ratio did you use when converting to MP3?
I have to run some errands but will get back later today.
Don

I don't know what the compression was because a friend was doing it. He knows what he's doing, I was impressed. He also had a pretty sophisticated home studio. A small fortune involved.

Reason I asked about the quality is because it sounded pretty good to me for us doing it locally.

Point being, if it sounds pretty good, it would give me an idea of what to do next. If it's pretty close to being acceptable for an indie recording, I could go this route (except we'd take far more time and do more tracks) for doing a CD. If it stinks, I'll have to do what I want to do anyway, which is go to Nashville. I have a producer friend up there. It would cost a few grand. I am positive he would give me the quality I want because I know the work he does and the quality of musicians he uses but a few grand is like a million right now.

#205143 - 01/10/05 01:02 PM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, I listened again. The Easy song sound very good. I checked and it is encoded at 128, which should be high enough. I still hear just a hint of distortion in a few places. Nothing bad. It is not there on the other songs and they are all much lower volume.
If nobody else hears it, maybe it's just me.
It can't be much of a problem anyway. Maybe just got the levels a little hot when transferring to the computer?
DonM

#205144 - 01/10/05 02:07 PM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Don and Bill,

Just wanted to let you know that I can hear something goin' on too.  It sounds like clicking to me and sure enough, you can see it in the waveform.  I opened the mp3 with SoundForge and did a screen print at 10.63 seconds into the song.

17.5 seconds into the song when you sing "joints", it does it again with the same looking anomalies and continues on throughout the song, whenever the signal levels get high. Didn't see any clipping so I wonder if it's a digital atifact from a compressor or gate or something.(?)

Now don't get me wrong, the song sounds great.  You've got a true-blue, bona-fide, country voice son!  That's probably why we heard the noise in the first place, we enjoyed the song so much, we cranked it!

-mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 01-10-2005).]

#205145 - 01/10/05 02:19 PM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Okay, thanks for that info. I assume this is something that could be taken care of if done with care? We didn't spend much time on this. It was done as a "rough demo" type thing. If it were to be done for a production cd, much more care would be taken.

Don, what I'd like to do is let you listen to the actual CD and see what you think. I will contact you and come by sometime.

P.S. If anyone has any comment about this song, the actual song itself, please comment. Good or bad. Reason why is because I wrote this song as just a fun thing to do for a guy's birthday. (Easy) I'll be darn, it seems some people are liking it based on hits to the mp3. I'm surprised. I just keep writing them, you never know when people will like something. You think it's goofy and they like it. I dunno... I might have to take this one a bit more serious.

#205146 - 01/12/05 09:45 AM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Mike, how did you draw those red arrows on there?

#205147 - 01/12/05 11:56 AM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm not Mike, but I'd guess MSPaint.
DonM

#205148 - 01/12/05 12:13 PM Re: ORIGINAL SONG: Easy and Malcom and Ace and Will (psr740)
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Semi,

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Mike, how did you draw those red arrows on there?

Photoshop...I cut & paste the screen shot into Photoshop (it's still a bitmap), adjust the image size way down, use the pen drawing tool to add whatever, then save it as a .gif so as to reduce the file size considerably for posting on the web.

Did you ever come up with any ideas on what the clicking noise might be? Just curious.....

-mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online