SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#205124 - 01/30/03 09:15 AM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I can't play be ear at all. I always use mostly Fake Books and improvise a bit, although my playing is rather primitive, given what I could/should have learned over the years. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

People who play and can't read music are really "illiterate" aren't they? However, music is an auditory medium, not a visual one. Does anyone sit down and enjoy READING a good music book ??? No, we LISTEN to music.

I'm always astounded that some of our very BEST musicians (believe me, some are fantastic) who send us songs in our PSR Songs Group sheepishly admit that they can't read music AT ALL.

I've often wondered why. How could it be that someone would be so focused on music to play that well would not bother learning to even read a simple melody line.

Reading some of the responses here gave me some clues. I had never thought that the written music could come between a musician and the music. Interesting.

Bob

#205125 - 02/07/03 03:50 PM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Scott,

How are you my friend? Guess I'll be the one to resurrect this thread. I just dropped in from the Technics Forum to browse and discovered the thread you initiated some time ago. I have enjoyed reading all of the responses. They are so interesting.

As you know, Scott, I am in my 70s now and am trying to learn to play an arranger keyboard. While I am pleased with the progress I've made in slightly more than a year, I know that I will never be able to play as well as I would like.

I am a reader. My musical training began at age 7 when my parents encouraged me to play a trombone. I studied the instrument formally for almost 12 years and played it well. Sadly, I stopped playing when I enlisted in the Air Force. I say "sadly" in retrospect of course.

I taught myself to play a little guitar over the years (haven't played for many years now) and was playing guitar in a small combo in Saudi Arabia in the 80s. That is where I acquired my desire to learn to play a keyboard (I always tinkered around with our piano player's Roland when taking a break during rehearsals). So I bought a little Casio board (it was the only keyboard available in the village market shop) and began to teach myself to play. Our piano player was an ear player. I bought the usual "teach yourself" tutors but never progressed very far.

Now I have the KN6000, a teacher, and I am finally realizing my dream of being able to play the music I love. But I'm still a reader. I use the chord symbol/melody line type of music notation. I envy those who can play by ear. One contributor remarked that ear players seem to be able to improvise more easily than readers. I would agree. It is certainly true in my case. Improvisation is hard for me although I am improving little by little. I do believe improvisation is an acquired skill whether you hear it naturally and practice it or whether you are taught to improvise. I also believe one has to be a good listener and listen a lot to musicians improvising in order to "pick up their licks", then practice them until they become a natural part of one's improvisation repertoire/skill.

All of you who have contributed to this thread have given me a great read. Thanks a lot.

Most Sincerely, Chuck

#205126 - 02/07/03 06:05 PM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
Most people (including a number of musicians) seem to forget that there's a major difference betwen being able to 'read' music [Which I can] and play a particular instrument at the same time.

For example [scuse me if this is too basic], middle C is splap bang in the middle of the treble clef - and the 88 key piano. But on a clarinet or flute it's not in the 'middle'. And on a guitar, middle 'C' can be played in about 6 different places - same note !

My point is... saying that one can read music does not necessitate the abilty to play directly from it. I can read music, but not well enough [any more] to 'sight-read' for a piano, or any other instrument I now play. Playing is now done mainly by ear, and yes... improvising is a no-brainer once you've learnt a few basic pentatonic major and minor scales plus the blues scale. I have no trouble doing that, and most rock/country lead guitar [my main instrument now] is pentatonic based.

Can I do that on the keyboard. Well, NO ! Not yet, but I'm working on it..
Regards,
Steve

[This message has been edited by S0C9 (edited 02-07-2003).]

#205127 - 02/08/03 05:17 AM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
trtjazz Offline

Here's what excites me about being a by ear player.

I can just sit in with someone and play....then play the song again and do something totally different the second time around (improv). Besides the skill involved the other things is that it is fresh and new every time for me. I need that because I have the attention span of a 3 year old

Oscar Peterson once said in an interview when asked if he preferred playing with the trio or solo. He said "what I don't like about playing with the trio, is that I am committed to playing a tune the same way everytime and man that get's old fast."

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-08-2003).]

#205128 - 02/09/03 12:14 AM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
danb Offline

Written music or sheet is like a user's guide or manual, it can be a map or schematic diagram or blueprints. Once you are familiar with it then you don't need it. I preferred ear playing. I can read notes, symbols, chords and charts but I am not a sight reader. I can play by ear proficiently. I can identify chords progression even my eyes are closed. I don't trust those fake books sometimes. Some chords are not correctly emphasized. I don't envy those people who can read music but I am more impressed to those who can write notes or music even without using instruments infront of them.

#205129 - 02/09/03 06:59 AM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by danb:
I don't envy those people who can read music but I am more impressed to those who can write notes or music even without using instruments infront of them.

Now add to that Beethoven going deaf and still creating beutiful music, because he heard it in his head! WOW.

I just wish these voices in my head would start singing or humming melody lines to me instead of just yaking all the time.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#205130 - 02/09/03 08:36 AM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I don't hear any voices in MY head ....... and neither do I !

#205131 - 02/10/03 01:52 PM Re: Your preferred KB Playing Style: LeadSheet w/Chords, SheetMusic, or Strictly by Ear?
KN_Fan Offline

For somebody who took classical piano for six years, my reading is pretty poor. I read reaaaally slow. I prefer to just read Chord sheet and play along. I can however play most songs just by listening to it once/twice.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online