I realize we all come from varying keyboard playing backgrounds, as well as differing music education experiences. Some of us are formally trained and can easily ‘sight read’ complicated written song arrangements, yet may have great difficulty playing by ear, while others can’t read a note, yet are able to easily pick up & play a song (including the chords) entirely by ear. The ideal situation is to become proficient at BOTH ‘playing by ear’ AND ‘sight reading’. The reality for most of us though is different. Typically, formally trained players who learn to play music by reading music, are weak at playing by ear, while players who play strictly by ear, can’t read music very well, if at all.

I started piano lessons at 4 and began to read music even before mastering the alphabet and reading words. Though I eventually learned to sight read & play almost any piece of music put in front of me, it was always a struggle to play a song by ear. It wasn’t until I got to college and took musical ear training & music theory classes that I finally began to develop ‘playing by ear’ skills.

Even so, I now still feel more comfortable having a lead sheet (single note melody line & chords only) at hand, even when performing, to provide a road map (chord progression) of the song. making it possible for me to successfully perform audience requested tunes that I may not be as familiar with. In order for me to perform a large repertoire of hundreds of songs beyond my core memorized material, I rely on fake book style lead sheets to help me out. Still, I’m very careful never to position the music stand or music to block my view of the audience (or them of me), and always keep 98% of my attention on the audience, with the lead sheet acting only as an onstage cue card to glance at when needed.

Realizing there is no one right or wrong way to approach keyboard playing, I’m curious to hear how others of you (both pro & amatuer players) learned how to play the keyboard, and what method(s) you use when learning NEW songs, playing at home, for friends, & gigging out professionally. Do you play strictly by ear, play only fully memorized songs, utilize a lead sheet (with melody line & chords only), or prefer playing from sheet music which includes a full arrangement (both right & left hand)?

Everyone’s input and feedback greatly appreciated.

Scott