SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#204780 - 02/04/01 05:29 AM PSR9000 song recording difficulty
Anhbus Offline

In QuickRecord/ChordStep mode, I found that I can't insert nor delete measures in the MIDDLE of an already recorded song. If I missed a measure, I have to delete the whole chord track and re-entering the chords for the whole song. The same pain applies if I have one or more measures too many. I can't delete measures to make the song shorter. If you know how, please help.

My overall impression is that recording on this keyboard is clumsy. (I've used Roland RA-90, Korg I3, Emu E4X) While recording, you must switch to a different menu in order to advance to a certain measure, and you need to scroll sequencially thru the measures by depressing a button (slow), not with a scrub wheel. No undo button for realtime recording. Must go to PunchIn menu or delete the whole track to correct mistakes. No overdub recording. Have to record on another track then go the Merge Track menu. The 9000 always pauses for a while to process newly recorded data, very annoying.

The hardware and sound quality is great, but the Yamaha software engineers are behind.

I also found a recording bug. More than one time, after recording a song in ChordStep mode, the bass track sounds out of tune when played outside the ChordStep mode (on RealTime recording screen). Going back to the ChordStep Recording mode, it sounds correctly again! I discovered in the bass track there were a few large pitchwheel values in it. I deleted those, and, to my relief, that cured the track. I'm sure it was not my hand touching the pitch wheel during recording.

Just to share my thoughts.

Regards

Anhbus

#204781 - 02/04/01 07:00 PM Re: PSR9000 song recording difficulty
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Yes i've said it before. Most here on the forum play and sing. Not many sequence with their keyboards. If they did they would all own the Korg i30. It is the only arranger that I know of that does copy and paste measures and it also does insert delete measures. You can use these features while recording the sequence or at a later time to edit the song.

The PSR 740 will not do this and it looks like the 9000 won't either. Technics may have these features but, I don't think the X1 has these sequencing features.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong. I know the Farfisa won't do it either.
Boo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online