SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#204675 - 02/16/06 02:11 AM OT: pianobars in the US
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
anyone know of any pianobars (not duelling or open mic) that are situated in NYC or Boston? I am working on maybe making a couple of gigs over there, primaryly I'm going to visit some relatives, but if I could pick up a gig or two, it would help finance the trip Anyone doing pianobar jobs here? What can one charge for an evening/weekend/week over there in the US?

Doc-Z

#204676 - 02/16/06 04:18 AM Re: OT: pianobars in the US
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Doc-Z

There are quite a number of places in Boston. Some are high profile and feature some of the world's great names in Jazz but here's a few links for you:

The high profile establishments are Regatta Bar and Scullers

Others that have a more local entertainment are:
www.wallyscafe.com/

Ryles Jazz Club (212 Hampshire St. Cambridge; 617-876-9330). The two-floored venue hosts both live music on the main floor and dancing on the second “dance hall” floor. Jazz artists performing at Ryles are both nationally established and local musicians.

Westin Hotel Copley Place Boston http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1035

Copley Plaza Hotel http://www.fairmont.com/copleyplaza/

Boston Marriott Copley Place
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/BOSCO

I live an hour outside of Boston, never played any of those venues. But have been to them a number of times thru the years. The hotels listed all have piano bars, they will probably be your best and are in the nicer areas of Boston. Good Luck.

#204677 - 02/16/06 06:07 AM Re: OT: pianobars in the US
doc-z Offline

Hey thanks for the info man!

Any idea of what piano entertainers charge over there? Don't want to come in to strong on the offer... Here in norway I charge about $1000USD for a weekend (friday and saturday 10pm - 02am), but I don't know how the market is over there...

any ideas?

Doc-Z

#204678 - 02/16/06 07:27 AM Re: OT: pianobars in the US
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
doc-z ... $500 a night at a piano bar in Norway ??? ... you better stay there !!! ... In fact, Steve and I will join you ... Unless one has a great resume and following, I don't see that kind of money being paid ...
In local area clubs, piano bars will pay about $150 a night and the high end clubs probably more, but I don't know how much more ... Obviously, 'name' players get whatever their popularity will demand ...

You might want to do a 'Google' search on piano bar jobs in the Boston area, or search for an agent ... the problem I find with agents is 1) their commision, and 2)if they get paid by the 'establishment' and then pay you, they are tardy in paying ...

If you do land a gig in the area let us know ...
t.

#204679 - 02/16/06 10:53 AM Re: OT: pianobars in the US
doc-z Offline

wow.. that's low, how do you guys make rent? I knew folks got paid less over there, but that's low... that's like what I get in my tip jar over a weekend.

Well I'm better off playing a couple of gigs here at home, saving up for the trip then... but it would be cool just play somewhere, jam, check out the crowd and the scene, so I will investigate further. Thanks for the info guys! And hey, playing in Norway is not that bad of an idea, a lot of American and British players are racking in the big bucks over here... They only complain about three things.

1. drunken Norwegian maniacs
2. our prices... two menus at McDonalds run you about 20$ and that's regular size... not supersized
3. The cold winters... there is about two feet of snow outside now.

I once talked to an English guy playing the day gig at a place I used to play regularly. He said if he could live in Spain, by beer in England and work in Norway, then he would be in paradise...

Doc-Z

#204680 - 02/16/06 03:18 PM Re: OT: pianobars in the US
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
wow.. that's low, how do you guys make rent? 2. our prices... two menus at McDonalds run you about 20$ and that's regular size... not supersized
Doc-Z

We pay about $5 bucks at McD's (not ME I don't go there...) THAT's how we make rent ... I guess not matter where, all things are relatively equal ...
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online