SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203997 - 10/02/04 03:50 PM Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Tried out the Peavey PR12's today and was very pleased with everything about them.

Nice size, (18 x 24 x 14), light weight, (29 lbs.), easy to carry with handles on the top and sides, it handles 400 watts program and 800 watts peak, the sound and tone was quite nice through-out the entire range, known Peavey reliability, nice appearance, and the price at $149.

All that and made in the USA.

I also tried the PR10's. They were nice but not as full a sound as the 12's.

I am not interested in the 15's mostly because of the added weight and especially the size of the cabinet.

I also did an A/B with my two JBL Eon 10G2's. The JBL's are 175 watts and are excellent for the smallest room to a medium sized room.

I liked the PR12's so much for what I want to be able to do in bigger rooms that I am quite certain I will get them.

I tried them with a Peavey 684F. (200 x 2 watts). However, I am planning on getting either a Behringer PMX2000, (250 x 2 watts), 30 lbs for about $287, or their new top of the line PMH880S, (400 x 2 watts), 20 lbs for about $342.

My wife, Jen, who also plays, agreed that these sounded good. She also had to stand back because she thought I was playing too loudly. The people working there thought the same thing. haha. So it really filled up their 10,000 square foot showroom, and I had it turned on quite low. (I thought).

That sure seems like a lot of bang for the buck, especially considering a decent stereo PA head alone used to start at around $700 alone, where this entire set up can be had for between $600 - $700.

I'll let you all know what I think of the Behringer powered mixers when I try them out.

Best
Scott Langholff

#203998 - 10/02/04 04:45 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Scott, I also just tried out the peavy PR12's
And thought they sounded pretty good. But I did not give them a real fair test in the small store I was in.
I did think they were lacking on the bottom end however, and I would like to add a sub to them for use on bigger jobs.
But until I could afford to add a sub they would probably be ok on their own.

At the moment I only have a couple of side fill monitors. I picked up a few years ago an old fender dual 15 showman cabinet with two full range jbl 15's. I cut the cabinet in half and added a 2x6" in. tweeter in each cabinet. They work great but look too shabby for use as mains and so I need some new cabinets also.

The peavys I think are great for the price.

------------------
The old Newb

#203999 - 10/02/04 05:37 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
OldNewb Offline

Scott,
By the way, musicians friend has the pr12's listed at $159. Could you please tell me where you found them for $149? as musicians friend will match price. And I have credit with Musicians friend.
Thanks

------------------
The old Newb

#204000 - 10/02/04 07:22 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi OldNewb

The bass sounded fine to me as it was. I had my Tyros mixer set in the typical v positions, the lo, mid and hi adjusted on the PA head along with about a 9 band eq adjusted. It made for some very nice fine tuning. I by no means had the bass turned up full either.

I think it would take a lot to convince me to use a sub, as I really don't need or like boom-boom, thump-thump. Plus the extra gear.

I see you're from Milwaukee. I came from Jefferson, Wis. I used to have a full line music store in Watertown.

The store I went was here in Pensacola. Here's their site, but I don't see Peavey listed there.
http://www.tringas.com/

Best
Scott

#204001 - 10/02/04 07:49 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
OldNewb Offline

Thanks for the link Scott,

Small world eh?
I think the only music store in Watertown now is a White House of Music.
Have some relatives living there.

Actually the pr12's I listened may have been part of their rental gear rather than new gear and perhaps had already been abused.
They sounded fine but like I say the bottem end seemed awful close to distortion with not that much bass/volume imo.

------------------
The old Newb

#204002 - 10/02/04 07:50 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
My wife had to stand back because she thought I was playing too loudly.

See, that's why I play the Bose! It's not a different volume relative to where you stand. You wife wouldn't have tp move if she stood in front of my rig in the same room!

#204003 - 10/02/04 11:55 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
See, that's why I play the Bose! It's not a different volume relative to where you stand. You wife wouldn't have tp move if she stood in front of my rig in the same room!

Dave, you realize Scott is most likely thinking about getting "two" Peavey speakers so he can utilize a Stereo image in his sound.

For a savings of over $2,700 over "two" comparable Bose PAS's (which you need "two" Bose PAS's to utilize Stereo also), I wouldn't mind if my wife (speaking of Scott's wife) had to step back a few feet because she thought it was too loud, either. With all the money saved, Scott could tell Jennifer to go out shopping for a few hours and splurge on some clothes or new shoes, etc. while Scott plays his Tyros through the 'excellent' sounding Peaveys that may be sound a little loud to Jennifers ears even though Scott has them "barely" turned up. So you see it's a win win situation. Scott saved a bundle of money and Jennifer gets to go shopping (which women love to do anyway) and splurge on some niceties with all the money they saved. And besides all that, both of them are laughing all the way to the Bank...

And the quality of sound Scott gets with his 'inexpensive' Peaveys will probably sound 'pert near as good' to 90% of the people who hear Scott play through the Peaveys as it would to them through the Bose.

Most people don't have the discriminating taste in sound that the 1% of us audiophiles do. Most people think FM radio quality music is just peachy. So saving $2,700 on speakers makes perfect sense to me and the audiences won't know the difference most likely anyway. Except that they may have to stand back a little when Scott plays through his Peaveys. >> Such is the life of a Musician I suppose.

Best regards,
Mike

#204004 - 10/03/04 07:56 AM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

I own the pr15's and use them with my Tyros, Triton Extreme and the PMX2000. This is an awesome combination!

The 15's are great for doing DJ work during breaks as the Bass is almost as good as a sub-woofer. I find the high's and the mids on the PR-15's to be very satisfactory for the music I play.

They take a beating and are very light in weight. Again, I got a great deal of $129 each on these purchased as returns and restocks which is pretty much the only way I buy stuff. I think I bought from Musicians Friend on these.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#204005 - 10/03/04 07:24 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I never said that any of these conventioanl sound systems don't sound good, but what I DO keep saying is that the coverage and the tonal quality is so improved that even with just one Bose tower, it'll produce a more even sound at a lower volume level than two of any of the others. I only made comparisons between 2 of your sot ONE of mine. Forget about using 2 Bose - it's not needed. It just isn't.

#204006 - 10/04/04 06:39 AM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Dnj Offline

Buy cheap ....sound cheap I always say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online