SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203655 - 11/12/04 09:19 AM Know anything about trailers?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Working on putting together a band, been playing with some guys. If I keep this p.a. and have to haul three guys and p.a. and gear, my Ford Taurus won't cut it. I'd need an enclosed trailer. My car, I think it has enough power, 24-valve with plenty of pep. Have any idea how much a small enclosed trailer would cost? A used one would be better, less money.

#203656 - 11/12/04 09:22 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
Dnj Offline

#203657 - 11/12/04 09:54 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use a Loadrite utility trailer, it is a 2600 lb rated trailer..I haul it with Mini vans..Enclosed models will be around$2000 and up[new]...I would go for new, and you won't have someone else's proplems..[unless you buy mine]..

Warning, it sometimes a hassel parking, not just driving ability but finding double lenght parking[two car spaces].

#203658 - 11/12/04 09:57 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
Fran Carango Offline

BTW you can haul a lot of Marlboro with a trailer!!!

#203659 - 11/12/04 10:51 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Better yet, buy a good, used, full-size conversion van. Mine carries all my gear, even when I was hauling huge equipment, plus four passengers in comfort. Easy to park, lots of room, lousy gas mileage.

I've towed trailers of all sizes, and unless you have lots of towing skill, forget the trailer.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#203660 - 11/12/04 11:20 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
Fran Carango Offline

Mini Van is the way to go..

#203661 - 11/12/04 11:46 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I have two Chevy Astro vans. I like them a lot better than the Doge Caravans, Windstars Venture vans etc because of having more room. They drive great and mine do between 16 1/2 to 19 MPG. They're great for just traveling around in also. Like my pickup the visibility is better because of sitting higher than other vehicles.

I carry two 15" Peaveys, my Korg i30, my Mackie mixer, a 2'X2'X2 1/2' case for wires mic etc. my Tenor Sax, mic stands, a laptop, and a two wheel fold-up hand truck.

A trailer wouldn't be a problem out here in the west, the streets are twice a wide as New Orleans, but it would be a problem in congested cities for parking etc.

Think about a van before you spend money for a trailer. Of course if you need to haul drums and a whole band, you may need a dedicated trailer. Are you going to start at 10AM to pick up everyone? Or, are they going to come to your place to load up?

Wow! what a night-mare. Maybe you'd better do a one man band thingy. You'll have lots less head aches and make a lot more money per gig. You'll just have to depend on yourself.

#203662 - 11/13/04 04:55 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I've been using a trailer for about 15 years, I started back before they were so readily available. First homemade then Jartran(like uhaul) went out of business and was selling pro made trailers for 5 or 6 hundred bucks.
The thing I always liked about a trailer was you could use any vehile to tow it. If tow vehicle broke down you could use the wife's car, or if someone else in the band had a hitch.
You didn't mess up your vehicle, I never had to unload mine, my car was always clean and ready for passengers.
Plus once you have a trailer you'll find a million other uses from shopping to moving picking up gardening supplies, it's at just the right height to load and unload.
Of course you have to learn to drive it and park it. But if you always plan ahead it works out. But then I drove a Tractor Trailer fir 20 years as my day gig.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#203663 - 11/13/04 05:07 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Is this what you're looking for

[This message has been edited by Exound (edited 11-13-2004).]

#203664 - 11/13/04 05:29 AM Re: Know anything about trailers?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
All this talk about trailers brings back bad memories of a gig I had years ago back in Australia. It was a one off thing and the only thing we could get to carry the gear the 300 miles we had to drive was an enclosed trailer. It was packed tight with the PA and all the stage gear, but that was good because it couldn't move around. All went well on the trip up there. We did the gig and it was the trip back that everything went wrong.

We were hundreds of miles from home and as we crossed a railway track on the main interstate we heard a strange sound and looked through the back window of the car shocked to see the trailer launching into the air. It broke away from the hitch and bounced end to end down the interstate tearing apart and spilling gear onto the highway. Holy Crap !!!!!!

We screeched to a stop and raced into the highway to pull the equipment off the road. Somehow there was no traffic around or we probably would have died trying to save the gear. Apart from some dents and a mic stand through a speaker cone everything survived. I guess the tight pack prevented most of the damage.

But it was a public holiday 100s of miles out in the countryside so there we were sitting on the side of the interstate with a pile of amps, guitars and speakers and no way of getting them home. A miserable end to the gig. All of a sudden a pickup pulled up and 2 local boys had driven down when they heard the BANG thinking someone had been hit by a train. They were stock car enthusiasts used to welding wrecks back together every weekend. So they took the wrecked trailer away for a couple of hours, welded it back together well enough to last the trip home. They saved us. The trailer was dumped once we got home but it got all the gear home again.

I just never felt good about trailers again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online