SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#203465 - 02/23/04 12:27 AM View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Synthzone Friends!

I put up a short 2 minute video clip of my recent 2/8/04 'San Francisco Chinese New Year Festival' performance on my website:

http://scottyee.com
Go to the 'Song Demos' Page

Unfortunately, much of the original footage was ruined by the sound of loud & distracting banging drums in the background, so this video clip only consists of a few short segments.

This is a 'WMV' format video clip so you'll need 'Windows Media Player' to play it. If you don't already have Windows Media Player installed on your computer, there's a link on my site's 'Song Demos' page to download/install it for FREE (both PC/Mac versions), but most Winodws PCs already come pre-installed with Windows Media Player.

I hope the video clip gives you a sense of what it was like to be there 'live'. Enjoy.

Scott

#203466 - 02/23/04 04:05 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

Scott....

Thanx so much for giving us a chance to experience your performance at the Chinese Festival in SF. I felt like I was there. You seem to be having a ball playing for the masses it's part of the "natural high" of this "Thing of Ours"...
You make it look easy & effortless, as it should be!!! hope to hear & see more from you Scott.....Bravo!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-23-2004).]

#203467 - 02/23/04 04:39 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
trtjazz Offline

Scott an amazingly great quality video. I was expecting some crap home movie quality....not. Personally I enjoyed the little jazz improv you were doing in the second cut, very cool.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#203468 - 02/23/04 05:49 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Ditto - I liked the piano solo especially. Congrats on working with the video thing until you got it... it makes a fine addition to your website. Good job overall.

Minor point - even though I realize the sound on the video was picked up by the video camera mic (?) and not the best choice for recording quality, I thought the instrumental sound was a little thin compared to your vocals, which sounded fuller in comparison. Was that just my perception? Seemed like the Tyros could've used more bass/lo-mids, but again that's just comparing it to your voice which sounded good...

#203469 - 02/23/04 08:16 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Hi Scott. Nice performance! The clip was very useful to have a visual idea of your playing technique (left hand is very busy comping!). And a very jazzy chord progression with a great right hand impro over it.

I kind of agree with Jim's comments about the overall sound. In cuts #1 and #3 the sound is slightly better balanced (more low-end), and the image suggests the camera is more or less in the same position (closer and slightly to the right side of Scott). Cut #2 is the one that sounds thinner and the camera is in a different position (right in front of Scott). That makes me think that the impression we get is due to the poor sound capture process (the camera mic).

Thanks for sharing, Scott.

-- José.

#203470 - 02/23/04 08:45 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Scott, I had a listen to the video performance. Thanks for sharing part of your presentation at the Chinese New Year festival. The camera you used tended to darken some at times then brighten up. Not sure why that was. Maybe the person was veering in and out of the shade/sun while shooting? Or maybe the camera doesn't have very good low light capability? Anyway no biggie.

It was very enjoyable to watch nonetheless. The Tyros sounded really good. Were you using onboard Styles or were you perhaps accompanying a CD backing track[s], etc.? And I take it the Harmonizing was done with the Tyros' onboard Harmonizer?

Thanks again for sharing scenes from your Gig with us Scott.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-23-2004).]

#203471 - 02/23/04 11:24 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Great clip Scott! Thanks for putting this on your site... just the right sort of thing for people to get the 'feel' of a Scott Yee gig!

All the best,
Rich

#203472 - 02/23/04 11:31 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott, really enjoyed your video clip; the video quality is amazingly good; wish I could have been there to enjoy your performance live.

#203473 - 02/23/04 01:08 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Donny, Terry, Jim, José, Mike, Rich, and Andrea:

Many thanks for both viewing my video, as well as giving your thoughtful replies.

On the comments made about the recording quality, I need to explain that the performance conditions (as usually the case) were less than idea for sure, and was more a spontaneous recording made by a friend (audience spectator) on a Sony DV recorder with built in mic. In addition, the final WMV file required compressing the original file significantly to afford internet accessability. Unfortunately, a 5.90 MB WMV file doesn't look or sound anything like the 500 MB AVI file, which it was converted from.. And even the intermediate AVI file had to be compressed from the original video capture file which was several times larger.The lighting problems were due to it being a hand-held video relying on exisiting light only. Also there was a lot of extraneous low frequency noise (banging drums, and popping firecrackers) so the low frequencies needed to be cut which is why you are missing the bass. I personally think my friend did an excellent job of recording the event considering the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro (Jim):
I thought the instrumental sound was a little thin compared to your vocals, which sounded fuller in comparison. Was that just my perception? Seemed like the Tyros could've used more bass/lo-mids, but again that's just comparing it to your voice which sounded good...

Jim, good observation. Unfortunately had to cut the low frequencies (EQ) substantially to reduce the annoying banging drums, popping firecracekrs, and crowd noise. I think another reason the sound on my instrumental sounded thin is because (like Jose Mathias mentioned) the proximity of the camera & mic at that time changed. Btw, Jose, noticed you changed your Sythzone user name. Speaking of, did you know that the intrumental I played is my improv solo of: "Route 66".

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer (Mike):

The Tyros sounded really good. Were you using onboard Styles or were you perhaps accompanying a CD backing track[s], etc.? And I take it the Harmonizing was done with the Tyros' onboard Harmonizer?

Mike: CD Backing Track(s)?! NO! Utilizing a Pre-recorded backing track (CD, midi, or otherwise) is against my religion. I pride myself in performing all my music 'live'. I find backing tracks 'lock me in' and create too much predictability (canned) keeping me from delivering a fully live spontaneous performance. I nearly always play in 'auto accomp' arranger keyboard mode, playing full left hand comping chords (btw: did you guys notice the rootless jazz chords played? ), simultaneously triggering the auto accompaniment, while comping & soloing with the right hand, and triggering fills, registration changes, and vocal harmonies (with built in Tyros vocalizer) via foot pedals.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to view my first ever internet video clip. I may consider adding more performance videos in the future (hopefully in a more controled performance venue). - Scott

#203474 - 02/23/04 01:16 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Mike: CD Backing Track(s)?! NO! Utilizing a Pre-recorded backing track (CD, midi, or otherwise) is against my religion. I pride myself in performing all my music 'live'. I find backing tracks 'lock me in' and create too much predictability (canned) keeping me from delivering a fully live spontaneous performance. I nearly always play in 'auto accomp' arranger keyboard mode, )

Scott......you say here you you pride youself on playing live and scoff at people using smf backing tracks....then you say...you always play in auto accomp arranger mode.....but in reality acccomp backing mode is in certain ways no different. I also pride myself on my overall sound and performance to my audiences using all the tools available to me I also use both methods and also incoprporate just live piano/electric piano only on some tunes too. Scott these are just tools of the trade and I am surprised to hear you sneer at others using these formats. Honestly to me using the arranger "ALL THE TIME" sounds a bit boring and style repeatative to me versus and mixing it up with some custom 10-16 track SMF backing tracks...but thats just me and who am I? Scot this is not a slam just a curious fellow musician doing some wondering on others thoughts about this topic.

take care

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#203475 - 02/23/04 01:30 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great job Scott. Really enjoyed both listening and watching you perform, especially under what most folks would consider extremely difficult circumstances--you came through like a real pro. As for Jim's comments about the sound, much of this is easily explained by the lousy microphone systems in video cameras--they're among the worst I've ever used. That's why there's a line-in jack on most of the cameras, or at least those I've used in the past. It makes a huge difference in the sound quality over the camera's shotgun mic.

Thanks again for sharing this with everyone on the forum,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#203476 - 02/23/04 01:50 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Actually Scott, I think recording into a video camera and using only the available mic on the camera is a very useful self-examining tool. It's not very discriminating and tends to record everything pretty much equally badly (!). Having said that, I think they can be very truthful as well.

Donny: I appreciate Scott's arranger-only ethic but I don't share in it, nor do I take offense at it. I find that many arranger styles tend to sound repetitive and mechanical after a short period of time. I also find that it restricts my playing style too much to be triggering chordal progressions constantly. I use the arranger portion of my keyboard to allow song options (esp. performing a song I know but isn't programmed in advance) and to jam in freestyle now and then, but I rely on SMF's mostly for my live music. I don't think that devalues my performance, nor has anyone who ever saw me play said that it did. It's just a different choice.

#203477 - 02/23/04 02:29 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I am surprised to hear you sneer at others using these formats (pre-sequenced backing tracks). .

Sorry Donny, it was honestly NOT my intention to put down people who enjoy playing along to pre-recorded backing tracks, and offer my apology to you (and anyone else) who might have taken offense.

I myself used to perform with karaoke style backing tracks, but only 'after' purchasing an arranger keyboard, did I discovered how much more 'musically satisfying' (to me), playing in auto accompaniment mode was.

I realize that many top artists of the day are utilizing backing tracks on stage (and with great success). I totally respect that, but for me, I want to be both band conductor and performer, and have the flexibility of taking a song 'where I want' and 'when I want', on the fly, while performing onstage. I never play a song exactly the same way twice. The ability to modulate keys at will, play different substitution chords, take an extra chorus, etc is simply not possible with a pre-sequenced backing track. I suppose, since this is an 'arranger kb specific' forum, I felt it was ok to express my opinion in support of 'arranger mode' playing.

Quote:

Honestly to me using the arranger "ALL THE TIME" sounds a bit boring and style repeatative to me versus and mixing it up with some custom 10-16 track SMF backing tracks....

I believe what keeps the music from sounding 'boring and repetitive' is OUR 'live' playing' (as well as singing) & how we 'interact' with the backup band (accompaniment). IMHO, arranger auto accompaniment backup supports this better than a commercial pre-sequenced backing track can.

Donny, I agree with you that it's the overall sound and performance that counts, no matter which performance method you choose. I welcome hearing from others with their thoughts on this topic as well.

Scott

#203478 - 02/23/04 02:43 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

Jim.. [pro] very interesting thoughts....

Scott...I sought of knew what you meant, but I thought this would be a good topic to talk about here on the SZ to both clarify and disect as we always do here which makes this place so fantastic.
Every gig requires a different approach to make it a success...somtimes playing straight alone KB/LH bass, KB Accomp styles, SMF files/KB...etc etc ...this is why these features are on our arranger KB's for us to utilize. Many people take a commercial SMF and add tracks etc ...to make it their own, while others do it from scratch and play along too which is fine. What the audience hears and enjoys is the bottom line in todays high tech world of making music. Scott anything goes, and your points are valid too. We all do it different and hopefully the Sum is Great Music!!

#203479 - 02/23/04 03:25 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
The Accordionist Offline

Scott -

I really liked your video. You look like you're having a lot of fun which is to me the key to it all.

Thanks a lot for taking all the trouble to get that in a format we could all easily view.

Have you noticed a marked increase in potential customers from the exposure you received at CNY? I hope so.

Thanks again and the playing and singing were excellent.

Tommy

#203480 - 02/23/04 03:49 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scottyee,

Very, very, smooooooooth..... It's great to video yourself once in a while to see what you look and sound like to an audience.

That's why I broke my video camera!

Great Stuff

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#203481 - 02/24/04 12:56 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
trtjazz Offline

I'm putting on my flame retardant underware and bullet proof vest for my opinion. Singing along to a prerecorded midi file is little or no different then Karaoke to me.

I agree with Scott's representation myself and that playing it allows the opportunity to improvise and go places that backing tracks do not, they will play the exact same way the thousandth time as they did the first time.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-24-2004).]

#203482 - 02/24/04 04:57 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

This is starting to sounds like the old Myth..

Speakers=Non Pro KB vs No Speakers=Pro KB

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#203483 - 02/24/04 08:38 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
travlin'easy Offline

I wasn't going to get into this peeing contest, but the more I read, the more interesting the topic became. So here goes!

Hmmmmmm! Lets see now. If you sing to a pre-recorded midi file, a well recorded song that begins and ends exactly like the original song, does it violate the rules of being an entertainer?

How about if you sing while standing in front of a 17-piece orchestra, one like the Glenn Miller Orchestra, players that go strictly by the sheet music in front of them. And they too play that song just like the orriginal recording. Does that make the performer a non-performer? Whoops!

Oh, how about if you sing and play single finger chords with your left hand and put 500 people on the dance floor. Is there something wrong with this type of performance? Did the performer violate some sort of unwritten rule of entertainment?

Maybe it would be more professional if you only played full fingered chords and sang, putting 500 people on the dance floor. Would this be a more professional performance? Could the audience really tell if you were playing full fingered chords? Would they be less entertained if you played in the single or multiple fingered modes?

Lets face if folks--this is show biz. It doesn't make a tinker's damned to your audience how you acheive the goal of entertaining them--they just want to be entertained. They could care less, and likely will never know, if you're playing along with SMF's, MP3s, full fingered chords or single finger chords, just as long as they're being entertained. If you're not doing just that, providing them with quality entertainment, they're not gonna' hire you again--it's that simple. At that point, you're out of the entertainment business.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a great musician. However, I have absolutely no qualms about stepping up in front of 1,200 people that I've never seen before and being quite confident that for the next several hours they're going to have lots of fun--and for that matter, so will I. As an entertainer, I'll use every tool in the toolbox to keep the dancefloor filled to capacity and at the end of the night, give away a couple hundred cards to folks that ask for them. When they stop dancing, singing along with me or tapping out the rythm with their fingers and feet, I'll quietly bow out of this business and find another way to make a living.

Damned, I wrote another book!

Cheers,

Gary

#203484 - 02/24/04 09:13 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Great job Scott. Really enjoyed both listening and watching you perform, especially under what most folks would consider extremely difficult circumstances--you came through like a real pro. Gary

Thanks the compliment. I had to admit that I was extremely surprised how well the video turned out, especially considering the fact that for a good portion of my performance, I could'nt even hear myself playing, as those LOUD incessantly banging drums (as evidenced in clip segment 2) kept overpowering the stage monitors. Believe it or not, what was picked up by the video camera's mic was probably better than what I could hear while performing

Quote:
Originally posted by the Pro:

I find that many arranger styles tend to sound repetitive and mechanical after a short period of time. I also find that it restricts my playing style too much to be triggering chordal progressions constantly.

Hi Jim, I agree that, especially for instrumentals, that 'arranger mode only' playing can quickly become limiting, not allowing you to stretch out and play the full keyboard in the way a true acoustic pianist can and does. But then again, unless you have 88 (or at least 76) notes of real estate at your disposal, it's not easily possible with just 61 keys. As far as styles sounding repetitive, that somehow is never an issue for me. The trick to convincingly live sounding arranger playing is making sure that you are always playing or doing something (ei: singing) LIVE all the time, and always interacting (in some way) with the auto-accompaniment. I don't know how much (or often) you other guys utilize the 'self fill' feature, but I use it at least every 8 measures, and occasionally every 4 measures. This to me reallly adds a LOT of spontaneous realism to the auto accompaniment. The other thing that takes away the feeling of style repetition is adding a drum hit, or triggering an instrumental fill or pattern via the multi-pad keys. For whatever reason, I've noticed there is little interest or discussion about the technique (art) of arranger keyboard playing. I feel there is a lot to be said about how to utilize the arrranger's unique buttons and features to create and maximize the uniquely impressive 'LIVE' performance that arranger keyboards provide. I hope we all continue to challenge ourselves to further develop & hone our arranger playing skills to take our arranger keyboard performance to the next level. Perhaps I start a new thread to discuss auto accompaniment arranger keyboard playing 'techniques' and see if there's any renewed interest.

Scott

#203485 - 02/24/04 10:12 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
If you sing to a pre-recorded midi file, a well recorded song that begins and ends exactly like the original song, does it violate the rules of being an entertainer?

Hi Gary,

No, but the key word you used was: 'entertainer'. You don't need to have much (or any at all) musicial ability to succeed as an entertainer, but one's musical ability is used to measure one's talent as a 'musician'.

Interesting note: In the music biz, singers are never referred to as musicians, unless they play an instrument other than their voice.

Scott

#203486 - 02/25/04 04:42 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Lets face if folks--this is show biz. It doesn't make a tinker's damned to your audience how you acheive the goal of entertaining them--they just want to be entertained. They could care less, and likely will never know, if you're playing along with SMF's, MP3s, full fingered chords or single finger chords, just as long as they're being entertained.

You hit the right spot, Gary. From an "entertainment act" point of view you can do whatever you want (with tools or without them) to entertain your crowd. I know guys that make a living from telling jokes in front of an audience. Their "tool" is just their talent to keep people "well entertained". So, I agree that in show biz (entertainement), the tool is not what makes a quality act. I am ready to recognize, without preconception, quality in a play along act (or in any act, really).

Now, those who say that "it's just show biz", should be ready to accept that an employer decides to hire a karaoke guy or a DJ instead of a live or "live" musician. The employer is just looking for entertainment and he may prefer to have something that works (some don't even know to distinguish quality). Seems fair to me, and I won't be shocked if I find out that I'm better entertained by a DJ or a karaoke session than by a bad quality "live music" act.

In spite of finding here a lot of useful information about ENTERTAINMENT, my main specific interest in coming here is the arranger keyboard playing techniques. And here I have to agree with Scott. There is little discussion about this subject, but it is crucial to the issue of whether playing with styles is boring (repetitive) or not. Watch the hands of a fine arranger keyboardist (like Michael Voncken, for example). The overall sound is awsome and it's not a hazard, but the result of a combination of musical skills, knowledge of the instrument features and specific arranger keyboard techniques (fills, fingering, mastering the use of the keyboard features, etc). Watching carefully the hands of a good arranger keyboardist, one can notice a lot of subtle things going on. They are VERY important in the overall sound. That's why we many times recognize that some players make any keyboard sound good.

Unfortunately I don't have the talent nor the time to improve my playing technique as I would like to, but I feel that the route for me is much more to improve my music skills and the arranger playing techniques, than buying new keyboards. The keyboard that I presently own has (about) all the features I need (for my level); all I need now is to learn more and to practice more. So, like Scott, I believe playing with styles can be closer to a live performance and are not repetitive if the player is a good musician and has a well developed technique. I also share his hope that we discuss more about specific arranger keyboard playing techniques.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 02-25-2004).]

#203487 - 02/25/04 05:55 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

Something else to throw into the mix....very often I will record a SMf using a style on the arranger.....then afterwards record some add on tracks to the SMF song....now I have a HYBRID backing track... a bit of both methods..
plus I play along & sing with that!!
this was incorporated on some of my tunes on my latest CD, very effective

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#203488 - 02/25/04 07:46 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, you must be doing something right, to give out a couple hundred cards..I can't even imagine that happening to me[maybe a couple dozen]..The only 1200 plus parties I play are "High roller" parties for A.C. casinos.

#203489 - 02/25/04 09:18 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Haven't we had enough of all the old tired arguments about smf v. 'live' performances (I'm with you Gary - entertain 'em, any way up. The only time I'll use an smf is for those throwaway 'pop' tunes that are only good for their fifteen minutes of shelf life).

Anyway, the one thing that came across to me from Scott's excellent video was this: Scott, ya gotta SMILE and get the eye-contact going with the crowd. It may be a little unfair, given that these were selected clips from the show, and we only see a couple of minutes worth, but for the most part you seemed almost to be on autopilot.

#203490 - 02/25/04 10:03 AM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
Scott, ya gotta SMILE and get the eye-contact going with the crowd.

Hmmm, interesting you say this, because smiling, eye contact, and friendly interaction with the crowd is perhaps one of my performance assets best remembered by my audiences, so I was kinda surprised to hear this.

Quote:
Originally posted by renig:

for the most part you seemed almost to be on autopilot.

Auto Pilot? I didn'think that, though because of the continous drum/firecracker distractions, especially on the second clip, I really had to 'maintain focus' on the music in that segment.

Anyway Renig, perhaps you can now post a video of one of your own 'live performances' to demonstrate & show just how 'you' present your music.

Ok guys, I've now 'delivered the goods', fullfilling Donny Pesce's request that I both record and post a video clip of one my gig performances. I now 'toss back' the SAME challenge request to: Donny, Uncle Dave, Fran, Gary Diamond, Don Mason, Jim Eshleman, Jose Mathias, Ziggy, Eddie Shoemaker, Dirk Baert, Roel deJonge, Renig, and all other Synthzone professional arranger keyboard performer members here, to do the same thing. It would be highly informative, as well as entertaining, to both see & hear how your act 'looks' and 'sounds' live. Afterall, as confuscious says , a video reveals more than even ten thousand words can.

Ok, so who's 'NEXT UP' here to take on the video 'challenge'?

- Scott

#203491 - 02/25/04 12:16 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
travlin'easy Offline

Fran--You gotta' schmooze more--that's why I give out lots of cards. I only do about a couple jobs of year with 1,000 or more people, and obviously the norm is considerably less. But, I still put out lots of cards at some corporate parties I play with just 50 to 100 people. During short breaks, with a lengthy midi file playing, I'll go through the crowd, shake hands with people I've never seen in my life, and hand out cards to everyone in the place--it's just good business. Also, it usually results in booking a couple jobs later on. Being your own public relations manager is also a major part of this business as well. Cmon'--schmooze a little--it's fun and profitable.

Cheers,

Gary

#203492 - 02/25/04 12:33 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

You Bet Gary!!!......Thats the Ticket!!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#203493 - 02/25/04 02:08 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

Scott....I personaly enjoyed the video mucho my friend. Critisizm of your stage presence was never an issue with me watching it, I wish there was more..
I noticed a little stank in your reply which I could understand from some of the replies. Without being there at the Chinese Festival, in front of a super mixed audience, under adverse distracting diversions, no one can tell what it was like for you as a performer on stage.
With your vast experience as a Pro I know you did your best up there regardless of what anyone thinks. We are all different, we act different, we feel & perform music differently then each other. But however you do it ...make it come from the heart and you better make it sound and look professional to the audience. Scott I know you have that unique ability to do this night after night.....and for that you should always be Proud!!!

Donny

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#203494 - 02/25/04 02:17 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Fran, You gotta' schmooze more

This is one good approach (but definitely not the only road) to being a successful entertainer/musician, as there is really no 'one' RIGHT performance style to success. Whether you're cool & reserved, or actively gregarious & in your face, it's most IMPORTANT to 'be yourself'. When you do this, you'll quickly garner your own loyal following (audience) who will appreciate your brand of music, and love you for who YOU are. I've attend many a concert where the performer seemed reserved & introspective, but the minute they began playing & singing, they light up the room. Schmoozing with the audience is just one style/brand of entertaining. I've believe the most important thing for all of us to do, both on/off stage is to be ourself, as audiences can spot a phoney a mile away. As far as business cards go, I myself don't actively hand them out, but they are available if/when they ask me for one, of which routinely occurs on nearly every gig. - Scott

#203495 - 02/25/04 02:25 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
We are all different, we act different, we feel & perform music differently then each other. But however you do it ...make it come from the heart and you better make it sound and look professional to the audience.

You stated it perfectly here in a nutshell. Come on Donny, any chance you can post a short video clip of you performing onstage soon? I'd really would LOVE the chance to see it. - Scott

#203496 - 02/25/04 02:33 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
Dnj Offline

Scott....

I have no means to record a video at this time. But you never know in the future what will turn up. I'll make sure your the first to know...

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#203497 - 02/25/04 03:01 PM Re: View my VIDEO CLIP ! SF Chinese New Year Festival Performance
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Hi Scott just to let you know I did look at the video, nice work. Others said it already so less words from me.

I would like to join a bit on this subject of entertaining.
I have been reading all the posts on this thread, well almost!! Cause I don't have that much spare time.

This is an interesting subject and I think me being performing at least 5 days a week for over 15 years well I guess I have a little bit of first hand experience on this subject.

I think it would be wrong to say midi files and live music and this and that counts, when you perform, the first and utmost important thing is to first see what the people want, and that is the trickiest part of an entertainer, if you DON'T manage to get your crowd in the atmosphere of entertaining themselves along with you, then you can be the most talented musician and the most talented singer, at the end of the night you’re a failure, people talk on how they enjoyed themselves only if they where part of your show, or by dancing to the music they loved.

If you don't entertain then you are a failure for sure, I have been to places where there where very good singers and players but still people left because all the performers did was play and sing for themselves, and that in my opinion is wrong, you are on stage to entertain and that is the number one priority, along with the singing or playing.

When I first stated performing I use to just play singalongs I was never a singer, but even at that stage, even though I didn't sing I managed to get people to sing along and it was great, time changed and so had we, I had to start singing now cause people weren’t satisfied with just music, they wanted a singer as well, so we had to adapt to that situation, and so ARE MIDIFILES and KARAOKE MP3 they are there cause the trend is there and if you want to compete then you have to use them, in the real world it is not us who set the wheel rolling, but the public, it's no good putting your head in the sand in this business, if you want to survive you have to be up to date, that's why people like Uncle Dave , Scott, Me to name just a few always changing gear, perhaps those of you who do it for pleasure don't understand this but that's the way things go in the real show business

I use my break to talk with people to see what they like and if any request I do my best to play for them, we all have our favorite music but you have to just keep it at low profile.

This all round up to just one thing, people are not there to judge how good player or singer you are, but they are there to have a good night out, if you entertained them well you'll know it because they will show it for sure, so I think this is not a matter of playing midi file or styles or karaoke.

This is entertainment and believe me there are a lot of great musicians out there, so I guess you have to be more of an entertainer than a musician in this business. When I am at home I play what I like best but only at home I do that.
Well I think I said more than enough for tonight.

Once again well done Scott.

Tony.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online