SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203233 - 10/06/01 10:03 AM Report on SD1
JMPCPA Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Fran, Donny & Uncle Dave,
It has been more than a week since you
guys visted DanO and purchased two SD1s.
What are your impressions of the SD1 and how do you think it compares to the 9000PRO ?
Last night I noticed an SD1 on Ebay from Fran. Why are you selling it so soon?
We would all appreciate your opinions.
Thanks.

#203234 - 10/06/01 09:08 PM Re: Report on SD1
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You are correct, I did put the SD-1 on Ebay, but decided to return it to Guitar Center as Dan suggested. I will try and give a short review..The styles are teriffic, probally the best, thanks to the drum grooves, the drums are unbeatable[even compared to the VA series],.The sounds are very good, even the new piano. The selection of styles and sound patches has improved over the X1..For the most part the SD-1 is a 76 key X1 without speakers..Both Dave and I found the same reasons we gave up on the X1 to be true with the SD-1..Inconsistant lock outs for bass[so it will not change when drum patterns are selected]..Changes in the vocalizer and effects, even though they are"locked"out..Navigation during a performance,,YUK[even worst than the VA-7].Too many common looking buttons , if you can't read the labels[dark room], mistakes will be common place..I find sequence playback unacceptable, I don't like the overal sound compared to the Rolands for playback, especially the drums[without the groove the drums don't have it].I did not notice timing errors with the fill to variations as some noted. I did not hear noisy DSP's..Thr Ketron is still poor to navigate between sequence and live applications and search for next sequence and/or performance/patch[G1000 is still the best for this,that includes the Yammy] Scott the SD-1 I had ,had OS 1.0 and did not play "rootless" chords.. If you have to play sequences from a flopy, you better know some jokes,as much as 30 seconds before sequence plays[does not play directly from disk].Some opinions on sounds: acoustic piano is very good,the EP'sother than a rhodes,I did not like[prefer Roland], Organs I liked[as I did on the X1], saxes are good as are the brass, guitars are okay,,accordions are disapointing[ex player],some of the vocal patches are okay, none of the companies can rival Rolands "SCAT"..Some key styles are still missing as with the X1, noticeably Rhumba's.I found it hard to get the same results that I was able to get with the X1 with the vocalizer[the X1 seemed to be crisper]I had a problem retaining vocoder[midi mode], The SD-1 does not allow the vocalizer to keep both chordal and vocoder settings as the Digitech workstation[you know what I mean,Scott]..AJ showed me a neat feature[it actualy convinced me to buy],Sync Wave,You can record[sample] a vocal sound or phrase and sync it with a pattern tempo. With a little homework you can do your backup vocals..This is similar to Rolands Variphrase[I find Variphrase easier to accomplish this but the SD-1 did surprise me with the feature]. Overal I think the average player will love the SD-1,Picky players like Dave will throw in the towel, and spoiled players as myself will play the G1000..My thanks to DanO at Guitar Center for all his help,and his bending over backwards to help us understand the X1. I Also want to thank Dan for assisting me with the return..AND thanks to AJ [ this man knows this keyboard]...Fran

#203235 - 10/07/01 06:58 AM Re: Report on SD1
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Fran,
You know I have a passion for the Sd1. I do not misrepresent the abilities of a keyboard and many customers are happy with the SD1.
I am not happy that you returned the keyboard . Guitar Center does have a return policy . 30 day trial period with full refund if not completely happy ! Who could ask for anything more ?
I do disaggree with many of your statements about the SD1 .
Complaing about the drums on sequence playback ??? That statement is unbelievable .
Drums are alwys the 1st thing people compliment on the SD1 . (super drums )
30 second load time ? Obviosly you missed the "demo & hit " feature . You also missed the Jukebox mode .
I have over 300 songs on 1 folder . I can easily call up any sequence within seconds .
Everything is played back directly from the hard drive !
Your statement about the SD1 being an X1 with just 76 keys is very inaccurate .
There are many things that seperate these 2 keyboards .Just check my prior post .
If you heard the same thing on the SD1 as on the X1, why buy it ?
Wasn't the navigation of the SD1 completely different than the X1 ? That's the 1st thing you notice if you have ever used an X1 .
The SD1 is closer in navigation to what Yamaha / Technics and Roland have been doing .Press a button category and the sounds and or styles appear next the the function buttons along the sides of the LCD display . Very simular to what Yamaha , Roland, Korg and Technics AND completely different than the X1 .
It does bother me to see one of my customers put an item on ebay . We left each other after dinner at 9:00pm last Tuesday . By Thursday night you had the SD1 on ebay with a very positive remarks about the" hard to find" SD1 . I did not recieve one call to answer questions about the Sd1 . I just do not think that 48 hours is a fair evaluation time . Thanks for respecting my wish of not selling the SD1 on ebay . I am glad that your return of the keyboard went smoothly . I can't wait to get them shipped back to me ! Dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 10-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 10-07-2001).]

#203236 - 10/07/01 01:42 PM Re: Report on SD1
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dan, reread my post,some of the points that you say I am wrong , you are reading wrong. First I stated the way you select the styles and sounds is improved over the X1[no question about it] The poor delay time in sequence playback, I stated from a floppy, not the hard drive[this has always been a problem with Solton] ..Of course the drums are great [it is the number one strenght of the SD-1]in style play..Apparently your blown away customers have never compared to a Roland GS keyboard[ if so they would see how the drums should really sound in a SMF sequence]..I stated these were my opinions[and since I am hardly ever wrong,just kidding], I believe my opinions have merit..I was happy with the SD-1 in your store, but the real test is in our own playing system[amplification]..and the all important "A" "B" to my G1000 and E-600..Don't feel bad ,the other top boards failed this test in my "OPINION"..The board is a great board, it just is not up to par for my needs..Dan ,It is true I did not try the DEMO/HIT button[it looks just like all the other buttons and in soft light,I did not see it;I thought it was just a DEMO feature for sales approach]..I am sorry you seem to be so upset, but your concern that you were undermined is needless..Thanks again..Fran

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online