SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203093 - 04/08/06 12:03 PM Native Instruments B4 II Review
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
There is a comprehensive review of the new B4 in the March issue of Virtual Instruments mag. Here is the "conclusion" of that review.

"I'm thrilled with the quality of this update. NA has really poured on the new features in B4 II, making an already no-brainer even more compelling. With the improvements in setup and control, the addition of reverb and extensive playback-system modeling, and the nicely returned distortion algorithms, this is a must have package for anyone who wants that great Hammond sound at a price (and weight) that will make even the constant nay sayer happy."

I recently obtained the B4 II, and although I cannot compare it with the origional, I must concur with the author and add that it sounds more like the B3 we hear on recordings than my (previously owned) Hammond B3 ever did!

The article does suggest that it is unfortunate that you cannot change drawbar settings while holding down a note or chord... that is incorrect. At least with my M-Audio Ozonic controller KB there is no problem doing so. I have yet to run the B4 is stereo, which I understand improves the Leslie effect considerably.

NI has sound clips on their web site... check it out.
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=b4ii_us

Glenn

#203094 - 04/08/06 01:16 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 II Review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Glenn, I an so pleased with the original, I don't see the need to upgrade..I do have the new demo B4 though..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 04-08-2006).]

#203095 - 04/08/06 02:11 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 II Review
Bachus Offline

Best B4 ever, even better then the orriginal B3, as this software allways gives you exactly the right sound.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#203096 - 04/09/06 03:04 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 II Review
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use the B4ll on my Receptor, and the original before that. The realism is remarkable, and the choice of cabinets, age, leakage,velocity,etc goes on and on. It is ,indeed, better than the B3, especially the weight.

#203097 - 04/09/06 08:52 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 II Review
CHALKY u.k Offline

Loc: U.K
I have the B4 update, bought to update my Wersi Abacus. I find this is not possible so if anybody would like this update (never used or registered)please contact me.
Chalky u.k

#203098 - 04/09/06 12:14 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 II Review
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CHALKY u.k:
I have the B4 update, bought to update my Wersi Abacus. I find this is not possible so if anybody would like this update (never used or registered)please contact me.
Chalky u.k

Now thats exactly the reason why i decided to go for a full software setup, compatibillity (though i think Wersi sounds awesome)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#203099 - 04/12/06 11:58 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 II Review
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
I thought the B4 software was only okay. The horn is somewhat pitchy and shrill when tremolo is turned on. When the woofer ramps up at default speed, again, things sound kinda pitchy. WHen I was using B4, I turned the acceleration to almost 0. It also would've been nice if they would've separated acceleration and deceleration so the leslie can be better fine tuned. One thing I didn't like in B4 that I think has been changed in B4 II is the pedal drawbars. You only need 2, but they set it up so there's like 4 or 5.

Has anyone been able to take advantage of the second leslie feature? I only have a 2 speaker set up so obviously it didn't work too well for me. I'd like to know how that would sound.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online