SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203068 - 09/28/05 06:24 AM Tyros 2 in keyboard Player
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi All
More details about Tyros 2 are now available in the October Issue of Keyboard Player Magazine, (Not free unfortunately) including an interview with the man behind it. http://www.keyboardplayer.com/

Bill

#203069 - 09/28/05 07:01 AM Re: Tyros 2 in keyboard Player
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Here is some "blurb" from that site -

Yamaha’s ground-breaking new keyboard, Tyros2, will receive its first media exposure in the October issue of Keyboard Player with an exclusive preview in the form of an interview by John Bates with Martin Harris, the main man behind its development. This will be followed up in the November issue with hands-on detailed examination and analysis of the keyboard itself by our in-depth reviewers John Bates and Andrew Gilbert.

Tyros2 opens a whole new chapter on creating realism in performance. It has new styles but also a revolutionary way of producing the nuances of acoustic instruments. This gives the player a level of creativity in a sound world that has not been attained by any other keyboard. The outward appearance is very much in the Tyros design mould. Underneath, the story is very different with every aspect revisited and radically upgraded. From the feel of the keys to the backing styles, everything has been revised from the original.

Yamaha has kept information on Tyros2 tightly restricted all over the world and no advance information has been allowed for publication anywhere. The launch of this keyboard is synchronised all over the world for October 1st. Issue 293 of Keyboard Player has been published a few days before that date, thus precluding the magazine from more detailed coverage in the October issue. However, that will be more than made up for in the November issue when we will be assessing this new flagship keyboard in considerable and considered detail, from the perspective of both the home player and the stage performer

Regards - KFingers

#203070 - 09/28/05 09:50 AM Re: Tyros 2 in keyboard Player
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Wow, it will cost $4.41 just to read the article and $57.24 for a 1 year subscription to Keyboard Player magazine!!!

I think I'll pass...

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#203071 - 09/28/05 12:01 PM Re: Tyros 2 in keyboard Player
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok I've read the 2 page October 2005 Keyboard Player article by John Bates . He shares a few more details learned about Tyros2, after having a chance to get an in person sneek preview of it from Martin Harris, a member of the Yamaha Tyros2 development team. I'll paraphrase the highlights:

Super Articulation: This new technology actually analyzes 'the way you play' the keyboard and articulates the chosen instrument voice (with multiple samples per note) accordingly. Super Articulation Sax sound: No longer do you simply re-trigger the SAME sample every time you play a key. If you want to play an entire phrase with one breath you simply play legato. It will also recognise which direction you play in, how big the interval is and of course, note velocity. In addition, Tyros2 includes 'key off' samples, of which in the sax's case, produces a valve noise. For additional effects, remote foot pedal activation produces 'breath noise'. On Guitar sounds, you get the sound of the guitar body. String Sounds: You can hear the difference between legato & staccato which is dependant on 'how' the string sounds are played. Up to now, staccato/legato sounding strings have been patch selection (voice) dependent.

Here's another impressive example of the level of detail built into the sounds of Tyros2. If you bend the notes (using pitch bend) ONLY the lower note of the pair of notes being played bends. Authentic pedal steel emulation.

Many of the new samples were recorded in stereo, especially the guitars, strings and brass sounds. Though very impressive sounding sent out to 2 discreet L/R speakers, I suspect these stereo samples might be troublesome for people wanting to go out to a single channel mono speaker output like the Bose PAS.

Impressive newly sampled Organ sounds are also featured on Tyros2. Auto accompaniment (400 styles) have all been reworked and upgraded with a host of new ones added as well.

Guitar 'Chord Voicing' interpretation has been added. This means that no matter what chord voicing you choose to play on the keyboard, Tyros2 will re-interprete it and have the multipad section play the correct (for the guitar) chord voicing instead. The Tyros2 guitar chord conversion table not only figures out the correct guitar chord voicing, but the correct position played on the neck as well.

Another thing stated in this article is, in order to take full advantage of the new Tyros2 "Super Articulation" voices, the Tyros1 keyboard action has been 'thrown away' and replaced on Tyros2,by a brand 'new' 'very responsive' one of which is 'dramatically better'.

Ok guys, these are what 'I considered' the highlights of the article. If you want to read more, you gotta spend the $ and buy the magazine. The November issue of Keyboard Player promises a complete reveal (review). With luck, I'll have my Tyros2 by then, and will of course give you my report (and impresions) as well. In the meantime, we'll ALL get more information about Tyros2 when it officially rolls out to market: October 1st (3 days from now).

Scott

#203072 - 09/28/05 12:29 PM Re: Tyros 2 in keyboard Player
Roel Offline

I just received a video DVD of the Tirol presentation by Peter Baartmans and Michel Voncken.

The dvd is created from a (home) camcorder of one of the visitors so the quality is not superb but gives a good impression of the T2.

One of the things I like most is the Tonewheel Organ including its Leslie effect... WOW!
Peter knows how to play this 'Hammond'.

#203073 - 09/29/05 04:41 AM Re: Tyros 2 in keyboard Player
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott: Thank you, you are very gracious for summarizing the article from KB Player. I must say, I curiousity is peaked by that article. Can I come over for a visit the day you get your Tyros2 for a "Introduction Party"? I wish you were on the East Coast!

Roel: Is there anyway you can Rip the DVD and post it somewhere for us to obtain a copy? I'd love to see how Michael Vonchen put's the T2 through it's paces.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online