SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203029 - 07/26/05 02:00 PM Request for PSR3000 styles/voices tweaked to sound like Tyros
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I am testing a PSR3000 alongside my Tyros. I wonder if those of you that said that the PSR3000 sounds just like the Tyros would send me some of your tweaked styles, voices and Reg Mem so that I can experience this myself. I feel out of the box the PSR3000 sounds very unlike the rich, full sound that I get on the Tyros.

I understand that many PSR3000 owners feel that the PSR2000 sounds better out of the box and that to get the best sound on the PSR3000 requires a lot of tweaking.

Here is a link to my demo page. All songs were recorded on the Tyros except for "Scott's Off The Cuff Jam," which I recorded on a Technics KN1000 and "I Wanna Be Like You," which I recorded on a Roland E-35.

Through good speakers the recordings sound pretty much like the sound that I get live on the Tyros. PSR3000 owners, does your keyboard really sound like this? Can it be made to sound like this?
http://scottlmusic.com/Listen.html

If you have some files to send for me to try please send to:

scott_langholff@yahoo.com

Thank you

Scott Langholff

#203030 - 07/26/05 05:02 PM Re: Request for PSR3000 styles/voices tweaked to sound like Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

The 3000 does not require a lot of tweaking--just a bit of EQ adjustment. The same goes for the Tyros--it also requies a bit of EQ adjustment if you play it through a completely flat sound system. Through a headset, to my aging ears, both sound pretty much the same. Maybe a bit more depth in the voices with the Tyros, but this depends upon the individual voice. And, of course, it has twice the polyphony, therefore things such as the Grand Piano, which is a stereo sample, will sound better with the Tyros.

I've posted the settings I use on this forum several times, and since I began using the Bose PAS I've softened them a bit, but overall they're about the same EQ settings that were previously posted.

Set the master EQ at 4,3,2,5,8 and you'll hear a big difference in sound quality.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#203031 - 07/26/05 05:43 PM Re: Request for PSR3000 styles/voices tweaked to sound like Tyros

Thanx for your input Gary. I want to give this a good trial. I have purchased the 3000 so, I know that none of what is discussed here can be misinterpeted, hopefully.

You may remember maybe a year or more ago I mentioned the (to my ears) vast difference in tone between the two. I noticed lated that it might be good to try the two both set to flat. I am getting the same results. BIG difference in sound to me. But then again, I don't really sing and use the kb as a back up, it's my total sound, and I'm pretty picky. To me it's all about sound.

I will be happy to get the 3000 sounding like the Tyros. If not, I will probably sell it.

I am looking forward to all the input and files to try on this little experiment of mine. Maybe I'd be better off to just wait and get the Tyros 2. Me being a trumpet player who among other things played in big bands, and fusions bands, rock bands, am very interested in the idea of sax and brass megavoices.

Thanx
Scott

#203032 - 07/26/05 06:20 PM Re: Request for PSR3000 styles/voices tweaked to sound like Tyros
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Scott-

I have both the Tyros and the psr3000. I like them both. The hardware is sharper in my opinion on the Tyros, but the sounds are both good.

Actually, the 3000 has some styles that I like better than comparable ones in the Tyros.

My single biggest complaint is that the styles are not compatable. I spent all Saturday afternoon using Badsem's regfix program with mixed results.

What I realized is that the program only works with original Tyros styles...I have several non original Tyros styles saved for songs in my registrations...that don't convert using the regfix program. It did convert most styles...But I still have an afternoon of work waiting for me to try and find some 3rd party psr3k styles that can work for the tunes I need.

Bill in Dayton

#203033 - 07/26/05 06:47 PM Re: Request for PSR3000 styles/voices tweaked to sound like Tyros

Hi Bill

Using that regfix program, I take it that all voices from styles to user voices to reg mem need to be changed? Is that done all at once like in a batch, or do you need to do each voice seperatlely? What about styles? Do you need to do each voice by itself?

It seems the 3000 is really quite nice, but I am really spoiled by the extras I can do on the Tyros. It just has a lot more depth in sound to me.

I just tried some styles with ots from the Tyros and compared it to the same style on the 3000. They both sound the same on the 3000, still different from the Tyros. I'm wondering if this regfix is going to make a big differece on this?

Actually, I'm hoping that if someone or a number of people are able to tweak the 3000 to sound really like the Tyros that we would put everyone's efforts in a pool so that all can make use of it.

When I get time, I want to check the settings used on the Tyros and see if there is any difference there.

I'm sure if I had gone from a 2000 or 2100 to the 3000 rather that from the Tyros to the 3000 that I would be having a very different experience.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online