SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#201950 - 10/23/07 07:26 AM interesting L1 discussion on another thread
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
on the long thread re Pa2x is here, the last 7 or so posts discuss the Bose L1 pro/con. thought it might go to interesting places if continued here to give those who have opinions on it an opportunity to chime in who may not see it on the Pa2x post.

------------------
Miami Mo

#201951 - 10/23/07 07:32 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
May as well re post my reply on the other thread here...

I thought the Bose L1 sounded pretty weak...and it's MONO...
Wasn't it originally designed for the solo vocalist/guitarist...seems to be prominently featured in their promotions?

Does nothing for an arranger, IMO.

Give me two powered speakers in stereo any day.

Ian

#201952 - 10/23/07 07:51 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bose's idea of stereo (in this instance)is each musician having his own L1 - check the ads. One OMB using one L1 gives excellent fidelity, just not in stereo. The complaint from arranger players is that their "stereo grands" sound flat and have no presence. Duh, you're playing stereo sounds in mono.

MY listening experience with the L1 is that it's great, processed sound. Dynamics are compressed, but the sound itself is spread evenly throughout the venue. I don't hear explosive bass or growling mids. I think it has its place, but it isn't the end-all solution for everyone.

#201953 - 10/23/07 08:15 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
sound spread evenly is a double-edged sword. great in a concert hall: all seats equal opportunity. great in large outdoor venue so front sitters don't have to get blown away in order for those way off to hear. But a serious problem in smaller restaurant/bar venues or private parties or street fairs where those who don't want to hear full volume can't escape or modify by moving further away. and the description of the sound from most people i have spoken to(not musicians who use it) is that it sounds very clear, but lacks warmth. ------------------ Miami Mo [This message has been edited by keysvocalssax (edited 10-23-2007).]

[This message has been edited by keysvocalssax (edited 10-23-2007).]

#201954 - 10/23/07 08:33 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You nailed it, Mo. Completely agree on the Bose. I hire a replacement occasionally for a restaurant job. He uses a Bose system, and people complain that they can't "get away" from the volume. Some patrons come to listen and some just want quiet background music. Good system for some applications-just not right for everything.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-23-2007).]

#201955 - 10/23/07 08:39 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Miami Mo mentioned the ONLY downside I have found to the L1. If you want to sit in a far corner and barely hear the music, you're out of luck. It disperses the sound so well that it covers all areas equally.
It can be set to sound as warm as you like. In actuality, I run mine mostly flat, with just a little boost on the low end. I e.q. from my keyboard, or mixer if I use one, but they are mostly flat also.
It is designed to be transparent, and it is. If you are used to a certain "coloring" of sound from the system you use, it will sound different. There is no muffling to cover boo-boos! However it can be totally equalized either from the remote or from a mixer.
I've had totally positive reviews from audiences and employers alike.

DonM

#201956 - 10/23/07 08:45 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
A discussion on the Bose is always an interesting exchange of view points, so here is my take on it, and which expands the post I made on the PA2x thread.
The L1 was designed to allow a performer to be easily heard anywhere in the venue, and it also allowed the speaker to be set up to give optimum performance with whatever the performer was playing, in addition the L1 can be placed behind the performer so as they can also hear what the audience hears.
With conventional speakers you also have to have monitor speakers for the performer, as in most cases the main speakers have to be set louder then the L1 to fill the venue and so have to be placed in front of the performer. (Having the main speakers behind the performer would just deafen them, and give them no idea of what the audience is hearing)
As most of you who have read the above will have noticed, a problem occurs when using a keyboard/Organ with the L1 because a keyboard/organ produces the sounds of multiple performers, and so the L1 can no longer be set up for individual performers. (This is why a single L1 sounds like a wind up gramophone horn (With a sock stuffed in it) when used with a keyboard)
Fortunately virtually all keyboards these days are now stereo which spreads the performers out, and so providing you have 2 L1s (Back to stereo again) you can set the EQs independently and so get a much better balance. The downside (There’s always 1) is that if you change to a different style of music you need to reset the EQ settings of both speakers to match. (Otherwise the Gramophone returns)
Incidentally if you look at the professional keyboard/organ players that use the L1s, (And there are boat loads out there whether it be at a Club, Concert Hall or Stadium etc) they always have a minimum of 2 L1s. (If more are required they always go up in even numbers)
L1s set up correctly (And adjusted during a performance) can give a superb quality of room filling sound that other speakers have great difficult of achieving, however it does require more input from the player.
As with all things, only the player can decide if the L1s are suitable for the venues that they perform at.
From the above, you can see that while the L1s can give a superb sound, they are not the Be All and End All that some people seem to think they are.
Hope you found my ramblings interesting

Bill

#201957 - 10/23/07 08:55 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Very interesting, Bill. Your observations regarding the use of two L1's sheds a lot of light on the discussion. There are some that use one L1 and love it. Myself, I tend to agree with you and Mo.

#201958 - 10/23/07 10:15 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"This is why a single L1 sounds like a wind up gramophone horn (With a sock stuffed in it) when used with a keyboard)

Bill, with all due respect, I don't want to get into an argument, but this is just not true. I personally set up two complete p.a. systems side by side.
One was two powered Barbettas. The other the L1. The keyboard was Tyros 2.
I a-b'd them intensely at all volumes. Two other musicians were with me. As good as the Barbettas are, the L1 sounded better and clearer. If you stand directly in front and between the Barbettas you can hear stereo effect. Get back at true listening distance and it goes away. Stand in front of one of them and you miss part of the sound because it's panned to the other side. There was no detectable degradation of the piano, or any other sound. As far as stereo "pinging" effects, you can only hear them in the optimum position anyway.
I've been using the L1 for more than two years with four or five different arrangers.
I make my living with my sound. I dumped a brand new Korg PA800 because it didn't sound good. (Yes I tried it with other p.a. systems than the L1, just in case.)
To say the L1 sounds bad with a keyboard is just uninformed. Every musician that comes in comes up to ask about the Bose, and tell me how great it sounds. They usually say something like "I wish I could afford one".
Well, I've found I can't afford not to have one. I've played small nursing homes and vast outdoor arenas with equal good results.
I just wanted to relate my personal experience with this system and take exception with such a sweeping generalization.
It seems the major critics of the L1 or usually people who do not own or use one.
Maybe they have tried one out in a store. Well when I first listened to one at Memphis Guitar Center, it sounded like absolute crap.
They didn't know how to work it, or even turn it on. They didn't even have the bass module cable engaged correctly, so it wasn't working. I left thinking how terrible the system was.
After hearing all the testimonials from people I respect, such as Uncle Dave and Gary Diamond, I ordered one with a 45-day return option, so there was no risk involved.
That was more than two years ago. The only reason I might consider parting with it is to get the updated version, as it is a few pounds lighter.
I won't be commenting more on this subject as it is all ground we've covered before, but just couldn't let that statement go unchallenged.

DonM

#201959 - 10/23/07 10:41 AM Re: interesting L1 discussion on another thread
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
sound spread evenly is a double-edged sword.
great in a concert hall: all seats equal
opportunity. great in large outdoor venue
so front sitters don't have to get blown away
in order for those way off to hear. But a serious problem in smaller restaurant/bar venues or private parties or street fairs where those who don't want to hear full volume can't escape or modify by moving further away.
and the description of the sound from most
people i have spoken to(not musicians who use it) is that it sounds very clear, but lacks warmth.

Excellent points Mo...I do restaurant gigs and you are right.

As far as "Clear without warmth"...it is an accurate description IMO.

I spent a whole day using one in the club where my friend gigged with it...I was recording a bunch of MIDI files for him...

He was using a 3k, and he had the L1 set up properly.

I couldn't warm up to it at all...guess it truly is a personal thing, because he was quite pleased with it.

Ian

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online