SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#201585 - 11/28/00 08:31 PM Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello to all,
Many keyboards that are out today sound completely different when played in mono vs, stereo. Many times I demonstrate a keyboard inthe store in stereo. Then my next challege is always...Do I try and sell them an Amp ( mono ) or a small PA like a Fender Passport or something other ???? A Korg Triton, My Solton X1 sounds completely different in MONO.
There is only one amp that says " Stereo " and that is a Fender SFX 200. The problem is the cost of that amp is over a small PA.
I find many customers buying 2 kc100's or 2 KC300's.
Many of you on this forum are veteran players and have seen the evolution of these keyboards. Is Mono Vs. Stereo a bigger issue today then 5 or 10 years ago ?? DanO1

#201586 - 11/28/00 10:30 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi DanO1,

Yes, going stereo for arranger keyboard gigs, has become increasingly essential, especially in the last few years. Because we are in direct competition with live multi- piece bands now, stereo has become an important element in creating the surround sound realism of a "live" mulit-piece band.

Audiences now expect stereo surround sound, especially after the advent of DJ wedding entertainers (yikes, another competitor?, EEK!).

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-28-2000).]

#201587 - 11/28/00 11:08 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Dan,

I agree with Scott. Whenever possible, when I play keyboards I try to do it in stereo - at least my own keyboard monitoring is done through stereo despite a mono in-house PA system at church. Stereo mode gives much more intended atmosphere than mono, mono mode usually gives us the feel of GM sounds from cheaper keyboards. I started initially with a power amp that drives 2 PA speakers in stereo mode with my fist synth. Then I bought a Roland KC-500 when it first came out for its thicker sounds and rich connectivity. When I practice I felt the mono sounds a bit compressed, without the airy mood of stereo mode. So after saving some money for a long time I got the second KC-500 unit to meet my need two years later. I like the X-1's in-your-face stereo mode much better than just mono mode. When I helped designing the PA system of my church I had to choose mono configuraton to resolve some room characteristics, sound distribution timing and placement problems. Otherwise I definitely prefer stereo sounds.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#201588 - 11/29/00 12:18 AM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have not played in mono at least 15 years.
DonM

#201589 - 11/29/00 05:32 AM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Dan,
Rember with stereo you can pan or shift an instrument voice from one side to the other makeing it sound as tho it were coming from a different part of the stage. Some of the new boards coming out now have multable outputs I may be wrong but I think the new 9000pro has 4. Just think of the possibalities! Powered spkr. on each output.
asign a different voice to each output. It would realy sound a complete band on the stage! Oh well I will never be able to afford one. Booo! Hoooo!
Till we meet again,
Nobby

#201590 - 11/29/00 12:30 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I do and I did not play / record any keyboard or guitar in mono since the early eighties.
Even for acoustic guitar I use two mics.

The other big advantage with recordings, is that it is much easier to "place" the instrument in the overall mix, wherever you want it.
Don't know another word to describe this, but I guess you know what I mean.

#201591 - 11/29/00 02:44 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
Doug Norton Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Hi all --

I'm new to the group, and am very interested in getting into arranger keyboards. I have worked with synths and workstation type keyboards for a number of years, and although my reply is not arranger-keyboard specific, I have noticed a strong difference in mono vs. stereo operation.

I've noticed definite sonic differences in my Trinity from mono to stereo. My DX7 is not as bad, b/c it only has one output, but I find it really wakes up if I run out of the headphone jack. Stereo effects really "swim" a lot better than mono effects, too, in my opinion.

I work in churches as a guest vocalist or worship leader from time to time, outside of my regular gig as keyboardist in my local church. It seems like most churches of any size have adopted this "cluster" type of PA setup in which the PA enclosures are grouped together above center stage at the ceiling. Hence, they run in mono, as there is no need to attempt a stereo split in this type of setup. Churches that have a left and right side speaker array are for the most part still running in mono, also. I can probably count on one hand the number of churches I've been to in the last 15 years that have a stereo PA.

When I carry my own system and run in stereo, I get lots of very favorable comments from the congregation, house sound people, the worship leader and pastoral staff on how nice and full the sound is, and how lovely my small system is (Mackie 1402, two OLD Peavey 18" subs w/Crown PowerBase amps, and two JBL Eon 15's), and how they wished they could get that good of a sound from their system. I'm no pro sound engineer by any means; I just run a couple keyboards, a vocal mic or two, and a CD player. So, I guess a little stereo separation never hurt anyone!

-- DN

#201592 - 11/29/00 04:44 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I would not demo an arranger KB without the ability to hear it in STEREO. Many music stores will plug you into an amp with one line(mono)UGH! That is, if it is not self amplified!Stereo is the ONLY way to go. Playing live or in your living room!!!

#201593 - 11/29/00 05:08 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Another thought . . .
Prior to playing "arranger keyboards" (about 5 years ago), I sang & played a standard electronic keyboard (mono output) in a live band. For this type of situation, stereo was not as important because the keyboard is only one instrument among the other musicians/singers on stage (natural surround stereo). Arranger keyboard performance is another matter as we are attempting thru one instrument, to emulate the entire band, thus stereo output is essential.
- Scott

#201594 - 11/29/00 08:00 PM Re: Stereo ! Left,right everything in stereo
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello to all,
Great feed back on the Stereo issue.
If you look at any Roland product today,or Korg they have all adopted the term " stereo sampled " sounds. The modules and keyboards definately sound different in mono then stereo.
I didn't get into keyboards until about 10 years ago. But, I made a mistake one year playing my arranger keyboard in mono. It really made a difference and to this day I always perform and demonstrate keyboards in stereo . So, Thanks for the feedback......
DanO1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online