SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#201060 - 09/23/02 06:52 AM Is the SD1 able to save arrangements?
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm focused on fixing my midi files as they cross over to Solton, so I haven't paid as much attention to the live styles yet. From skimming around though, I don't seem to see where you save arrangements.

In case this isn't a generic term, the Korg I2 uses the styles as the basis of the instruments and their musical arrangements, but they have a seperate bank called "arrangements", and each number is editable to whatever style you wish to use, all the tempo, key change, etc etc, things, and then you save it as a name. So you always call up numbers of pre-edited songs.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I was getting the impression that you call up styles and edit them on the fly, but that you don't actually save them as permanent arrangement set ups?

#201061 - 09/23/02 07:26 AM Re: Is the SD1 able to save arrangements?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
After you change all the voices, volumes, transpositions, tempo, effects, you push the save/enter button and now you've stored your choices of how you want the style to play each time you call it up. You have changed the original with your new one and if you later want to recall the original you can do this. You can also save this pattern to your hard drive, keeping the original one available and then play this style directly from the hard drive. The new Korg PA series does this as well. It's a very convenient way to be able to have hundreds of custom styles (or arrangements) available anytime.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#201062 - 09/23/02 08:36 AM Re: Is the SD1 able to save arrangements?
justforfun000 Offline

Thank you. It sounds different than how the Korg worked, but essentially I will be able to do it.

The main difference is that saving each idividual arrangement did not affect the style whatsoever. That was set to be unalterable unless you created a specific seperate user file.

Each arrangement is a song of its own. Just as an example in case this isn't making sense

# 11 - Proud mary (Style 16 - Lite rock)

22 - Take it Easy (Style - Lite rock)

24 - Tequila Sunrise (style - Lite rock)

Now all three have the exact same style called up, but only in that specific arrangement are changes saved from then on. Each has a different tempo, drum kit if you want it canges, different Acc1 Acc2 Acc3 instrument, etc.

So apparently the way the Solton works is a little different. It saves the STYLE instead of creating a seperate arrangement entitiy.

I presume this mean I will have to rename a style many times over if I want differing tweaks. As long as I can still call them up ready to go, I'm happy.

#201063 - 09/23/02 09:49 AM Re: Is the SD1 able to save arrangements?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Justforfun,
actually Ketron lets you save both the style and the arrangement; you can modify a style (for example, if you don't like the instruments assigned to the lower part) and then save it, or you can create an arrangement, starting from a style and then choosing different instruments for Acc, Bass, Drums, Upper, Lower, Effects, etc and then save the result as an arrangement. Usually these will be saved to the hard disk, but you can choose to overwrite the arrangements and also the styles written in ROM. At least, that's what I always do. Ketron also keeps the original styles in a separate folder, labeled "Reload", so if you by mistake erase a style you can always reload it from the hard disk into the ROM.
It's not easy to grasp at first (every keyboard has a different "logic"), but once you get it, it's even easier than on other keyboards.
Andrea

#201064 - 09/23/02 11:10 AM Re: Is the SD1 able to save arrangements?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
So apparently the way the Solton works is a little different. It saves the STYLE instead of creating a seperate arrangement entitiy.

I presume this mean I will have to rename a style many times over if I want differing tweaks. As long as I can still call them up ready to go, I'm happy.[/B][/QUOTE]

The SD1 is different from other ketron products in regards to storing/ saving styles .
The Sd1 has one of the master folders of the hard drive assigned for style storage .

All other ketron products save the patterns/styles into RAM . You have to add a simms chip if you wish to have access up to 200 patterns .
The SD1 allows for 999 styles .

You can globally copy any pattern and save in the master folder .

The Korg I2 / I3 did supply a list of songs that can be performed with certain styles . Ketron has a librabry of song styles that works a little better than the korg list IMO !

Please remember that all ketron products from the X1 series to XD sereis gives you the ability to remix styles as well .
dano

#201065 - 09/23/02 11:38 AM Re: Is the SD1 able to save arrangements?
justforfun000 Offline

Oh EXCELLENT. It does work the same way then.

That's good to know.

I can't wait to finally start using this board as my main instrument. I bought it three months ago, and still haven't performed with it. Sad eh? LOL.

The only thing I can say in my defense is that I work 9 to 5 and sing 3 to 4 nights a week, so I've had very little free time to learn the thing.

I'm finally on the "M"'s of my midi files though. :-)

OH, quick question? I have used the IH vocalizer with my Korg for years. One of the most convenient things was the fact that it rested on top of my board. The pedal turned it on and off, and as far as on the fly harmony went it's great. Buttons are arranged in a vertical patter, 5th below - 3rd below - dub you voice - 3rd above and 5th above.

With a quick press I can choose any or all combinations. It modulated accorded to the chord played at the time, and whatever note I sang. I'm sure the Solton is even better as to sound and application. This is mainly arrangements I'm referring to, not midi files, although you can do a similar thing. Have to pick a track though, so if the instrument isn't playing anything at that time, there is no chord info. Naturally arrangements are ALWAYS showing a chord recognition over all, so it was never an issue.

So I'm curious if the SD1 has that "live music" user friendliness. Does it have one touch buttons set up so you can say "Ok, give me upper 3rd harmony, (sing 4 lines), now I want a 3rd below as well (push), etc.

If so, does it follow whatever chord is playing on the style as well?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online