SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#200413 - 09/25/04 09:56 AM How do you protect you laptop from theft?
The Accordionist Offline

Hello all -

Looks like nobody makes a modular arranger that will satisfy me with my accordion setup. Went the Ketron XD3 route and it was just too far behind technically.

Next best thing looks to be a Fantom XR rack module playing customized midi files via a laptop and Van Basco. I can easily get a cheap laptop to do this but my question is:

How do you keep your laptop from walking away during a performance? Sure, it's best never to lose sight of your equipment and to watch it even during breaks, but to me that's just not realistic. It would be damn hard to walk away with my $7000 accordion so I usually keep it in the back during breaks. I was thinking about purchasing one of those laptop anti-theft cables and securing the laptop to one of the handles of the Motion Sound KP200S. It's a deterrent at best. If somebody wants my stuff they're going to get it somehow.

Thanks for any input.

Tommy

#200414 - 09/25/04 10:07 PM Re: How do you protect you laptop from theft?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My laptop is playing background/dance music when I'm on breaks, so I'd hear a silence if someone bolted for the door!
Plus .... it's secured all nice on my stand - looks permanent to the naked eye.

#200415 - 09/26/04 07:14 AM Re: How do you protect you laptop from theft?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You could always anchor it to the stand with industrial strength Velcro. That alone would be sufficient to deter theft. Of course, the other option is to play in places where they don't steal anything that isn't nailed down.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#200416 - 09/26/04 07:59 AM Re: How do you protect you laptop from theft?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by The Accordionist:

I was thinking about purchasing one of those laptop anti-theft cables and securing the laptop to one of the handles of the Motion Sound KP200S. Tommy

Why don't you just get that anti theft cable? The only way to steal the computer would be to destroy it.

#200417 - 09/26/04 03:49 PM Re: How do you protect you laptop from theft?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I agree the cable would be the easiest soloution. My LT also plays mp3's during the break, but my equipment is never out of my sight either, so...

#200418 - 09/26/04 06:11 PM Re: How do you protect you laptop from theft?
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
I use a anti theft cable and secure it to my 12 space rack. Someone would have to completly un-do my entire rig in order to get it out, the places I play at I'm never to far out of sight of my gear anyway. I did however have some one hit the space bar during a break which started a sequence...now I just make sure I close the lid and put the laptop off to sleep while I'm gone. If we play music between sets I use my rack mounted mini disk......

[This message has been edited by mdolmon (edited 09-26-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mdolmon (edited 09-26-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online