SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#200363 - 03/07/07 07:53 AM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Answer: Yes I have.

Question to you, if you were teaching a guitar student, (which you wouldnt as a keyboard player probably) would you expect he'd find it easier starting on a Green Day song, or a Pat metheny song?

#200364 - 03/07/07 08:00 AM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
Answer: Yes I have.

Question to you, if you were teaching a guitar student, (which you wouldnt as a keyboard player probably) would you expect he'd find it easier starting on a Green Day song, or a Pat metheny song?

Acoustic or electric? 6 or 12 string?

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.

#200365 - 03/07/07 08:38 AM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
From a Country viewpoint, Johnny Cash's unique sound and style wasn't done on purpose. It was because that's the ONLY thing the trio could play when they first started. They actually learned to play AFTER they had a couple of huge hits. Ironically, every time they strayed much from the bum-chick sound, they weren't as successful, at least until later years when John recorded with some of the hot rock stars of the 90's. And every note he ever sang was sharp, pitch-wise.
DonM

#200366 - 03/07/07 02:07 PM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Folks, the GRERAT take-away from all this is an impressive collective demonstration of in depth knowledge of the history and accomplishments of major players across the music spectrum and over time.

Toots Thielmans, Ray Brown, Herb Ellis, Victor Wooten, Cole Porter, Cannonball, Jimmy Page, David Gilmore, Steely Dan, Yes, Django, Charlie Christian, Art Tatum,Stevie Wonder, Getz, Parker, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Smith and others mentioned here...the best ever in the field of music. An impressive demonstration of knowledge and appreciation of the business we're all devoted to and the major creators/innovators.

To Chas, Mo, AJ, Nigel, Diki, Zuki and others, YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF!

That common bond, to me, far superceeds the petty "games" that sometimes surfaces, due to bordom, ego...whatever.

Thanks for your comtributions.

Russ

#200367 - 03/07/07 03:03 PM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Russ;
what's a nice guy like you doing in a den of iniquity like this?
Mo

#200368 - 03/07/07 06:51 PM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
So on the Tyros 2 of course on some voices you strike the note hard and it gives you the glide. It starts low where it should and ends up on pitch.

Well, that solves ONE small problem (and they have a few of those in the Roland's too). Now tell me how you do the same bend quietly? Or slower (it's sampled)? And on ANY sound?

Next figure out how to either do it as a true 'bend' or the sampled fret-slide (which is what it is).... You begin to see the staggering range of different articulations real instruments can choose from. A bender can only do so much. For hammer-ons and offs, trills, tongued/legato phrases etc., a pitch strip (like Korg's, Kurzweils, old KX-5 strap-on controllers, etc.) are another choice.

But no sampled, velocity triggered 'effect' is going to allow for 'true' expression, just a poor imitation of it.

#200369 - 03/07/07 07:30 PM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
Vadim Offline

probably the best post ever posted on this forum.

#200370 - 03/07/07 07:45 PM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
if you were teaching a guitar student, (which you wouldnt as a keyboard player probably) would you expect he'd find it easier starting on a Green Day song, or a Pat metheny song?

Yes, I do understand the point you are making. Of course Green Day would be much easier for a beginner to accomplish.

I just don't think that technique is everything though it does open a lot more possibilities. On the other hand technical accomplishment doesn't automatically mean the music will always be better. Some of the music I like is incredibly complex then on the other hand some of my favorite music is very simplistic.

But I always think it pays to improve your technique whatever style of music you choose to play.

#200371 - 03/07/07 09:59 PM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
lets be clear here. There will always be technical limitations that a keyboard has when mimicking a real life instrument that is not a keyboard instrument and technologies like super articulation have gone a long way to helping us out but poor musicians with great technically advanced instruments still sound like poor musicians and this is a universal truth. The basic premise of the original thread is that a great musician even working within the limitations of the technology whatever that is through practise and ability can still make great music.

Sure we can ask the manufacturers to improve on their product and there is nothing wrong with that at all (so dont jump all over me!) but whats the point in that if the muscian sounds even with the latest improvement in the instrument like a poor player ? I have been on other forums and its the same problem. Master the instrument you have and it will surprise you how minor the limitations of your instrument become.

#200372 - 03/08/07 02:39 AM Re: Stop whining and start practicing
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No argument there, spalding....

The problem comes when you have already mastered an instrument (or at least got good enough to fool real players!) and then the manufacturer DROPS the feature that makes that possible. It's not like I've been on a crusade for a feature not invented, yet.

On the G1000, using the bender extensively was a snap. It got dropped on the V-series (and I never knew, cause I never saw one in our area for all the years they were out). Apparently, no-one made sufficient fuss about it back then, and the policy stuck.

Unfortunately, the new G70 is SO more advanced sonically and functionally (except for this one feature!) I finally had to change. Luckily, Roland have been VERY good about listening to our requests for new and improved features (we're at OS3 already!) that I feel that the more noise I make about this feature, and the more I encourage others to make noise, too, once they learn the TRUE value of it (it isn't good JUST for the bender.... let's say you play a REAL sax, and want to jam with your arranger), the more likely it is to be re-introduced.

In the meantime, I practice every day, play out with as many different people as I can, jam on any style I can find, and listen to others play. It's not like I spend all day posting, you know.....

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online